So many goodies are being enjoyed by users of big satellite dishes that makes me green with envy. I mean, am not having a big dish because, of space issue. In this particular article, i am going to talk about powervu conditional access system and how you can watch channels encrypted in PowerVu. Generally, in West Africa, you need a very big satellite dish/antenna to be able to watch any meaningful powervu channels. However, at the moment, AFN is up on select powervu auto-roll decoders. am talking about a dish not lesser than 2.4meter in Northern Nigeria, and not lesser than 3meter in southern and eastern Nigeria.
Pay Attention to these Articles:
- Top Satellite Tv signal encrypting/conditional access companies and their client base
- List Of Latest Competent Full HD Decoders that Supports PowerVu Auto-Roll Function
- Intellectual Property Theft-Meaning, Scope and its Relationship with broadcast Piracy
- [Tutorial] How to watch satellite tv channels on your computer using emulators via DVB cards
WHAT IS PowerV Conditional Access System/Encryption Technology?
PowerVu is a conditional access system(CAS like irdeto, viaccess, conssat) for digital television developed by Scientific Atlanta from CISCO company. It is used for professional broadcasting, notably by Retevision, Bloomberg Television, Discovery Channel, AFRTS ABS-CBN GMA Network and American Forces Network.
PowerVU encryption used to be only on commercial receivers. Unless you are a cable company with thousands of users, and willing to pay for thousands of subscriptions you cant subscribe to the official powervu network. Also, there is no centralized clearinghouse – you do business directly with the “uplinker”(owner of the copyright).
The only PowerVu stations that are non-commercial technically is AFN (Armed Forces Network)
If you are in the military you can get a receiver that decodes it (D9234 last I checked) and subscribe through the military. An example of a decoder that decrypts only powervu channels is: CISCO D9865(This is their official receiver).
PowerVu tech is also used by cable companies to prevent viewing by unauthorized viewers and non-cable subscribers.
PowerVu has decoders that decode signals from certain satellites for cable distribution services. These decoders can also be used just like the FTA (Free-To-Air) satellite receivers if properly configured. In other words, you can use Cisco decoders for FTA purposes
However, just like in the case of Biss keys, PowerVu encrypted channels can now be opened with keys and this is hat I shall be teaching you here today. It is either you open it using a dedicated receiver(which I will review later) or through a patch software loaded on some strong decoders.
What are the Requirements to Getting PowerVu Channels
You can get different types of channels on powervu like sports, music, movies entertainment and so on.
- You need a big dish: Not the normal small DStv dish am talking about a dish not lesser than 2meter in northern Nigeria or 3meter in southern Nigeria. The rest of Africa and Asia should contact their local satellite installer for the dish size needed. If you do not know the difference between a big dish and a small dish, please read this.
- You need a powervu supported decoder like CISCO D9865, strong 4920, 4922, 4922a (or any strong decoder that has a powervu software downloadable from crosat.us) and finally any unofficial powervu decoder like gsky(to be reviewed later).
- Also, it is either you get the powervu keys for the channels on your own or buy and use an Auto-roll decoder.
Types of Channels that you can Receive on PowerVu Conditional Access System
PowerVu channels are available in any genre of television broadcasting. All you need is a supported device be it offcial or unofficial to decrypt the channels. As you can see from the pictures above the first picture is of an English match between. The second pictures is for 4.0W which is another sat package.
You can get the near-exhaustive list of PowerVu channels on this page
How does PowerVu Work? What Devices can Decrypt the Channels?
In this section, I will be mentioning the devices that can open powervu channels. The two methods of opening powervu channels are 1. Via auto-roll function or 2. By manually inputting the powerVu ECM keys.
Official PowerVu Decoders
Top on these are Cisco D9865 and Cisco D9834 Hd receivers The Cisco® D9865/D9834 Satellite Receiver are designed for satellite content distribution. They target the broadcast, business TV, private networks, and SMATV environment.
These two receivers are the only popular official PowerVu satellite receivers. They have the legal right to open AFN powerVu channels and others like it. The receiver offers the ability to receive digitally encrypted video, audio, VBI, and data. It provides a cost-effective, variable-rate solution to transition existing DVB® -S/MPEG-2 services to DVB-S2/MPEG-4. It also supports MPE IP data.
Non-Official Devices that Can Open PowerVu Channels
- Strong Decoders from 4920 and above. This can only happen after loading a “patch” software from crosat.us
- Hellobox, v5, v5 plus and Gsky receivers: This happens automatically as long as you have installed your dish to receive the powervu channel’s signal.
- Numerous tigerstar decoders.
- Range 20, scat and many more. Summarily, read our list of best powervu auto-roll decoders here.
Advantages of Watching PowerVu Channels
- No freezing or skipping unless you are using an incompetent auto-roll decoder. It is a very perfect encryption
- There is no need for internet connection
- It is very cheap to use for those who already have the compatible decoder and dish
- PowerVu has been around for ages at it will continue to
- You do not need to buy any account or pay for any subscription to watch powervu channels.
What are the disadvantages?
- Limited premium PowerVu channels available for Africa due to the distance from the beam
- Only those with a big dish can benefit from it in most countries. In West Africa for example, your dish must be bigger than 1.2-meters
- The official decoders are not available for sale in every location where there is a footprint. For example, if you are lucky to be able to buy the Cisco decoder, it may not still work in Nigeria. As a result of this, people turn to use unofficial decoders to open the channels. The problem with this method is that the manufacturers tend to patch it. In summary, the keys may be blocked and you will need an update for it.
How to Install and Open PowerVu Channels on Strong Decoders
Any strong decoder from 4920 through 4955 can do this. However, for the purpose of this post, i will be using a strong 4922a as my case in point.4920,4922 and 4922a shares the same software visit www.crosat.us to download the powervu software for your model.
- For 4922, Download the software here
- Make sure you have a c-band lnb because almost all powerVu channels are on c-band.
- Also, make sure you have the frequencies. for example, you can get live sports on ntelsat 20 – 68,5 E
4064 H 19850Intelsat 20 – 68,5 E
3974 V 19850
Intelsat 17 – 66 E
3845 H 30000Intelsat 906 – 64,2 E 4094 L 3680Eutelsat 9.0°E 11766-V-27500 & 11804-V-27500Ses 22.0°W 4128v15500
PowerVu Channels Opens with the help of ECM keys examples of ECM key is as follows
- PowerVu channels on Amos 4°W: Frequency 10934.00 H 13750
- Thor 0.8°W- 4175-V-28000
- HBO/CineMax (4.0°W)10934.00 H DVB-S/QPSK 13750 5/6
- Eutelsat 9.0°E 11766-V-27500 & 11804-V-27500
- Now scan your channels and press 8282 on your strong remote control. scroll down until you see powervu>>press ok button>enter your powervu ECM keys as shown above or anyone you may be having>>press ok>>save and exit>>restart your decoder and you are done.
How To Input a PowerVu ECM key into a Strong DEcoder