In one of my previous article, I talked about how you can successfully register and manage a PlayStation network account outside a PSN- account supported country. I went further to elaborate on the needs for such action as well as the best countries to choose while opening your foreign PSN account. Today, I will introduce you to all Sony PlayStation cards/vouchers usable on the PlayStation network.
In case you don’t already know, Sony PSN is now being referred to as SEN(Sony entertainment network). This new name covers all the facets of Sony entertainment. Needless to say that the PlayStation console is not just all about games and more games.
Various types of Sony PlayStation cards/vouchers and their benefits
If you own a PS3, PS4 or a PSP Vita with a relatively stable internet connection and you are not a PlayStation network account holder, you are surely limiting your fun. Sony has three categories of cards/ vouchers which comprise of both physical and digital. Sony PlayStation cards/vouchers are as follows:
The new PlayStation Credit Card: This was released to USA residents only. However, you can buy this and use it from outside the US if you own a PS US account like me. To buy it as a none US resident, you either need to ask a US resident buy it for you or use a VPN to buy it yourself. It comes with exceptional rewards that no other PlayStation store cards can boast of. Once you apply and are approved, your rewards start in earnest. Firstly, you get a $50 store code, you get 5x reward for using the card on PSN / SEN store, 3x when you buy a Sony accessory and it continues.
The most important thing is that this works like a normal credit card and you can use it to purchase just about anything. However, I can only verify you using it on the PlayStation network from outside the US. Even at that, you may need to buy a virtual US bank account to link it to. Payoneer comes handy here if you wish to own a US bank account without living in the US. To become a member of Sony rewards, please click here. Furthermore, to apply for Sony credit card, follow this link immediately but not as a non-US resident.
PlayStation®Plus Membership card
Next on the list of PlayStation cards/vouchers or let me call it Sony entertainment network store cash cards is the PlayStation Plus membership card. This card debut with the PlayStation 3. Back in the day with the PlayStation 3, you can play all online games merely by signing up for a PSN account. Today, the story has changed as you need a PS plus account in other to enjoy full online/multiplayer benefits.
Playstation plus cards come in various denominations and the most popular is the 3 months and 12 months membership. Also, you can buy it either as a digital code or as a physical one. The fact that it is available as digital favours PlayStation console owners living outside the supported countries. Like I said n my previous article, only South Africa is partially supported even though we have more gamers in Nigerian than the whole of Africa combined. Why won’t we, when the only respite we get from the recession problem is entertainment?
You can freely order your PlayStation plus membership cards of any denomination on Amazon. Amazon allows you to pay with your ATM card. Just signup and follow this link to place your order. It will be sent to your email within the shortest period of time. Waring, the card will only work as indicated and for the country in registered on your PlayStation network account. To simplify this, if you choose China as your country, buy a card usable on Chinese from amazon.cn. If you choose your country Japanpan, buy a Japanese PS plus card
As for me, I go to the US anytime any day because manufacturers offer the US benefits, incentives, features and rewards in their numbers.
BENEFITS OF BEING A PLAYSTATION PLUS MEMBER?
- Exclusive PlayStation Store Sales and Discounts
- Store Game Saves Online: Now PS Plus Members Get 10x the Online Game Save Storage for PS4
- One membership will extend to your PS4, PS3, and PS Vita systems
- Enables online multiplayer on PS4, so you can play games online with friends
- FREE PlayStation 4 games every month
- Access to exclusive PlayStation Store sales and discounts
- IMPORTANT NOTICE: To use this code, you need a compatible PlayStation device connected to broadband Internet. You also need to accept the PlayStation Network Terms of Service.
When you are a PS4, PS4 slim, or PS4 PRO owner and you bored with playing offline with friends or playing the various game mode, PS plus is the way to go. Also, it’s pertinent that you have a fast and stable network otherwise, do not bother yourself.
The PlayStation®Store Cash Cards
Lastly and equally important in the list of all PlayStation cards/vouchers is the PlayStation. This card is also known as the Playstation network cards. The card was introduced in 2006 on the PlayStation 3. The primary method for purchasing games on the PlayStation network is by buying PSN cards. You can also use this to purchase other Sony services like PlayStation now, PS vue and so on. PlayStation store cards comes in the following denominations: $10, $20, $50, $60, $75 and $100. Similarly, you can buy and redeem a valid PlayStation store cards on Amazon even outside the official countries. This method will work for Nigerians willing to buy a PS store card. It works globally actually. I also know some expatriates in the non-supported countries will find this guide very useful
Moreso, each PSN card contains a code which you can redeem on your PlayStation store account across multiple devices. You can only use this card on the PlayStation Store. Although you can as well purchase contents on the PlayStation Store with your credit card, A PSN code is the more secure way if you value your security. Remember that The PlayStation network has been hacked before.
Benefits of using a PlayStation store card/network card over your Credit/debit card
- Better security than using credit cards directly on PlayStation Store. Don’t get hacked because you want to buy a game of 450
- Ability to gift to others. If you have a family or relative in the US, UK… they can buy and send this to you. All you need to do is to simply load it on a compatible account.
- Many different digital games to buy
- Download the latest games and add-ons: Discover and download tons of great PS4, PS3, and PS Vita games and DLC content to give you more
- Access your favourite movies and TV shows: Rent or purchase the newest and biggest movies and TV shows available, and download or stream them instantly to your favourite PlayStation devices
- Connect with millions and start playing: Take your PlayStation games to the next level by downloading the latest multiplayer maps, missions, and characters to play online with friends.
How can I load/redeem a Sony PlayStation store card to my account?
It is one thing to procure the PlayStation cards/vouchers, it is another thing to load them. Am happy to tell you that as long as the card you purchase is compatible with the account you tend to use it on, the loading process is a walkover. Just make sure you buy a US card for a US account.
Sony has a guide that teaches how to load or redeem any of their cards. you can read this up here.
CONCLUSION & ADVICE
In conclusion and for the sake of emphasis, Let us observe the followings.
- The most convenient method of using a PlayStaion Plus, PlayStation credit card or PlayStation store card on any account outside the official country is to receive it as a gift card. In other words, ask your relative to buy and send to you via email. If possible, register your PlayStation account in their name and address.
- Not only those who are residing in the US and other supported PSN countries can enjoy the full benefits of the PSN/SEN.
- If you are a traveller from a supported country to a non-supported one, you need this workaround
- Also, If you are a permanent resident in a country that Sony does not support like Nigeria, you just need to do what you have to do. You must have bought your console to that you can enjoy it. Nothing should stand in your way
- Think twice before applying for the PlayStation credit card if you are not within the US. There seem to be more to it than merely applying for it and waiting for it to arrive.
- Playstation plus membership maybe be surplus to requirements if you want to play online as a PS 3 owner. However, you may need it for ps4, ps vita and ps 4 Pro. All in all, it requires your fast internet connection
- PSN cards are more secure to use than a credit card. Please take note.
- Finally, this is as comprehensive as it can get. It is however not exhaustive. Therefore, your contributions are welcome