This post was last updated on May 2nd, 2020 at 08:48 am
Curiosity they say kills the cat. That is not for me, curiosity leads Lemmy Morgan into outstanding discovery. I gave this wonderful product by Huawei as a result of frustration. On that fateful day, I wanted to test some IPTV channels on a particular box, I only have wire connection handy. I used to have all the four protocols supported by a decoder namely: wifi + wifi adapter, Lan via a supported Lan router, Gsm via the sim slot on the decoder and 3g via a compatible USB modem. Before I proceed with this wonderful Huawei USB modem plus MiFi combo, let me conclude what led me to it.
Unfortunately, on that day, my four years old wifi adapter got spoilt during use. As if that was not enough, I discovered that the only router that I own and that has a LAN port was missing. Of course, GSM doesn’t work with IPTV. And I am yet to replace my damaged USB modem. In other words, I could not test the decoder until the following day when I had ordered a replacement WiFi adapter that would enable me to connect to the decoder via WiFi.
As an internet resource person who is into tech-blogging, I realized how vulnerable I had made myself with my over-reliance on WiFi only. With the kind of job I do, wifi only can never suffice. I needed all my backup plans back. I immediately call for my mobile power 3g router + LAN combo. Now I needed to solve the problem of the USB modem. I almost went to buy one from MTN Nigeria before my curiosity took the better part of me. I asked myself this question, “Can’t I get an internet 4g USB modem plus wifi router combo?.
3g USB modem is the order of the day. what about a 4g USB modem with a MiFi feature?. My discovery is what led me to this article. Adjust your seat as I take you through the jolly ride of my Huawei E8372h-608 4G LTE + Wifi hotspot USB modem.
Huawei USB modem plus MiFi combo Description and technical specifications
No single let down with this device because I was well prepared before going for it. I will start by highlighting its overwhelming advantages over similar devices. I will also briefly discuss its two “Cons”.
Huawei E8372h-608 4G LTE + Wifi USB modem-the Pros
- Super light which calls for high mobility rate
- Fully compatible with windows and mac
- Cheaper than some other products performing the same functions in another way.
- Supports multiple languages
- Ability to use it as a 4g USB modem only, Wifi router only, or both.
- Sturdy and compact build
- If you have any electronic device that can use a USB as its internet protocol, you can use this as a plug and play. This worked on every decoder that I tested it on.
- Extremely, low-energy saving and consumption. If you use this all day, it rarely gets hot. It also has protection against USB short.
- Also, you can plug it into your USB car charging adapter(it came with one), You can use your mobile phone charger, your pc USB, your power bank, your PlayStation USB power. It uses any USB port that generates power.
- Supports all network modes: 2G, 3g, 3G+, and 4g LTE
- The unit I bought is factory unlocked meaning it can be used anywhere worldwide and it works with any Sim card
- It has the easiest user interface you can think about. Great features for newbies and geeks alike
- Supports all the 4G network bands available in Nigeria including stubborn Glo 4g band 28. You can view all the list of 4g network bands in Nigeria here
- It has a hefty list of security features including firewall switch, IP filtering, and so on.
- I can say it has other great features that I might have forgotten to add
Huawei USB modem plus MiFi combo – The Cons
- However, no Lan port like some high-end dedicated routers e.g tp-link. Well, this is mobile broadband, not an industrial WiFi router. Secondly, LAN ports for personal users are obsolete. Lastly, you can still use it in LAN mode if you have a computer with a LAN port. simply connect this to your pc and connect your pc to the target device via a LAN cable.
- It doesn’t have its own battery. I am afraid, I prefer this to the one that limits me with some pathetic battery. The ones with batteries are for emergency use. IF you let it stay connected all day you run the risk of damaging the battery fast. Normally, you don’t charge and use a modem if you want the battery to last long. I use this as a modem without wifi, I can use it with wifi and can also use both the wifi and the USB mode simultaneously.
- In addition to 2 above, this consumes very little power. My power bank which usually lasts just 1.15 hours while using it to charge my android phone, lasts 16 hours when using it to power this modem.
Description of Huawei USB modem plus MiFi combo
Huawei E8372-608 dongle is not only a 4G modem, but it can also work like a WiFi router, its function is very similar to Huawei E8278 wifi modem. When plugging it to a power adapter or mobile power bank. It could broadcast Wi-Fi signal and allow you to securely connect up to 10 devices, including tablets, computers, mobile phones, and gaming devices, to the 4G mobile network or when you’re on the move via Wi-Fi and 1 via USB interface.
- The actual Wi-Fi support is 802.11 b/g/n, up to 10 devices.
- LTE FDD cat.4, data service of up to DL 150 Mbit/s/UL:50 Mbit/s DC-HSPA+ downlink data service of up to 43.2 Mbit/s
- HSPA+(also known as 3.75g) downlink data service of up to 21.6 Mbit/s
- HSDPA data service of up to 14.4 Mbit/s.
- HSUPA data service of up to 5.76 Mbit/s WCDMA data service of up to 384 kbit/s EDGE packet data service of up to DL 296 kbit/s, UL 236.8 kbit/s.
- GPRS packet data service of up to 85.6 kbit/s LTE/UMTS/GSM Short Messa
Features & details of Huawei USB modem plus MiFi combo
- 4G LTE Unlocked GSM Carrier GSM
- It supports USSD and SMS
- LTE FDD: Band1(2100 MHz)/Band3(1800 MHz)/Band5(850 MHz)/Band7(2600 MHz)/Band28(700 MHz) /UMTS: Band1(2100 MHz)/Band5(850 MHz). I have tested it with MTN, GLO and Etisalat successfully
- You will have only 2G On Tmobile Metro(that is if you are a Tmobile metro sub) PCS Simple Mobile Ultramobile.
- The modem uses a micro Sim card which is now the standard Sim card around. Hotspot Service is required.
- Up to 10 to 15 via Users Wifi.
- Comes with a Micro SD card slot (up to 32 GB) 2FF SIM slot.
My review of Huawei E8372h-608- Configuration, and management of the devices
I talk about what I have seen and used. I am currently using this device. When I received this device, I was so disappointed with the package and lack of a user manual. I conducted thorough research on it and today, I know the in and out of Huawei E8372h-608. My guide will include pictures and it will be useful for Huawei E8372h-607 and Huawei E8372h-609 users as well.
After the initial disappointment with the poor packaging and lack of a user manual, I set to work immediately. I first tested this on my Qsat decoder and it works fine in USB 3G mode.
Next, I connected it to my computer and it automatically auto-install without having to run any additional software. You will receive a welcome page from where you can select your language around 42 languages. They have an online user manual that is accessible via the device’s admin dashboard.
The first thing you need to do is to insert your Sim card. Once you select your language, you will be prompted to log in. choose “admin” as the login and “admin” as your password. The device gets connected automatically within 28 to 30 seconds depending on your network strength
Also, on the homepage, you will see an overview of your connections like current connection, WLAN, and SD sharing status. If your modem doesn’t start-up automatically on your computer, visit this URL in your browser “http://192.168.8.1/html/home.html” Open the sim cover to get your Default wifi key. You need to change it after your first login.
Huawei USB modem plus MiFi combo-The Car mode
This usb+wifi stick was shipped to me with a USB car charger which worked perfectly. Just plug it into your car’ 12v charging adapter as shown below:
Huawei E8372h_608- statistics window overview
This device has one of the most accurate data plan calculation and monitoring. With this wonder of a USB stick, you are from your ISP’s exploitation. I am currently calculating all of my data accurately. It has a section for current volume and duration, and also that of total volume and duration. I am always more concerned about the total volume. The total volume represents all the total data you have transferred on that particular Sim card
In addition to the above, you can view the list of WLAN clients as well as those whom you block from using your connection.
Huawei E8372h_608 USB + wifi stick- SMS
This Huawei USB modem plus MiFi combo stick comes with an SMS feature. You can send and receive SMS on this stick. Nothing spectacular about this.
Huawei E8372h_608-USSD and Update window
There are two boxes here. The small box represents where you will input your number and dial. The second and larger boxes will display the results of your USSD code. Here you can quickly load your recharge voucher or check your data balance. For example, to check 9mobile balance, you need to dial *228#. Similarly, you can check for the latest software version on the update window.
Settings page of Huawei E8372h_608
This is the most important aspect. If you want to save your self a lot of hassles, simply choose the quick-setup option. However, if you will rather do a deeper modification, then continue reading. I will start with the quick setup option.
Still, under the settings window/page of this device, you need to click the dial-up sub-menu. This is where all your connection settings are.
Settings>>dial up>>mobile connections
settings>>dial up>>profile management
Huawei E8372h_608- WLAN Settings
Firstly, you must not skip this setting if you want to use your modem as a WiFI router/hotspot securely. This is where you can change your wifi password, customize your wifi name(also known as SSID, and a host of other features.
Of course, there are other options under the WLAN setting. However, I choose to modify only those things that I am very sure of. If you are a network admin, good luck with this.
Settings>>security>>firewall switch/special application
As expected, it will be heart-rendering to go through all the troubles above and come short at the end of the day, security-wise. You need to secure your connection further. Although you can do a whole lot, I, however, choose to only enable all the options under Firewall switch.
The system option of the settings is very easy to set up. Apparently, this is the section where you change your password, reboot your device and so o. Next, we have the sharing page which is primarily where you monitor the files on the SD card you inserted into the modem.
Huawei E8372h_608-App Management
This is an innovation. Huawei now has an app for Android and iOS to manage their routers. I downloaded this and it has been a jolly ride all the way. Almost all features(save some core security features) that are available on the web dashboard are present here.
furthermore, you can either download via the links provided in the device dashboard under app mgt or use a QR code scanner.
Especially relevant is the fact that this app has backward compatibility with old Huawei wi-fi hotspots. Similarly, feature devices will be supported via updates.
I addition to the above, their mobile app has an intuitive interface. The major menu on the app is the device button(where you can see an overview of your usage). There is also a tool menu. Under tools, you have links to SMS, scan, share, and storage. Also, on your right corner, you have the settings button. Under the settings, you manage your account, network, check for updates, limit your data usage, and so on.
Basic troubleshooting of Huawei-USB-modem-plus-MiFi-combo
Surprisingly, in the course of gathering materials to be used for this article, I ran into trouble with the device. I totally forgot my admin password hence I was denied access to the dashboard. I later found out how to reset this.
- Firstly, to reset the password, connect your modem to any USB interface that can power it, get a needle, open the sim/sd card cover>>pop and hold the needle into the tiny hole marked as reset until you feel a click sound>>do not release the needle until you see that your modem has rebooted. Now set up your device as new using the default admin password and default wifi key.
- Secondly, and this goes to any Mfi/wifi routers that you might have. Immediately you buy one, take a picture of the password key and the URL and store them safely. Eventually, all there imprints/inscriptions will rub off due to use.
Where can I buy this wonderful model
The simplest answer is online. If you are a standalone satellite decoder owner, you need something like this. In your own case, you might need to be online always like me, you may consider this. In addition, you want an effective 4g modem that can take on any Sim card worldwide, look no further.
Openly, I have supplied the name and model of the device. go and search for it. I got mine for below $60. If you have no luck getting one, you may contact me. Conclusively, expect more reviews of outstanding gadgets from me.
Kennedy Hevi says
Good evening oga lemmy hope grace is sufficient pls lve been following your update but it came to a time l never had the chance now am back with full vim
Pls my question is how long does the iptv account last thanks
Lemmy Morgan says
@Kennedy: it varies. it can be 3months, 6 months, or yearly subscriptions. Don’t worry, the seller will tell you the due date
Hello Oga lemmy. I just want to place an order for the modem. is it still worth buying. Is yours still serving you?
Lemmy Morgan says
@Snatico: that modem is lifetime sir. No qualms so far
How much is it in naira?
How much is it in naira? Do you have it in stock?
Lemmy Morgan says
@Sango: you can get it from aliexpress.com. Search for that particular model
bhadmus habdulakeem says
Its a good product but “doesn’t support all Nigeria’s 4G bands”. Smile with band 800/20 cant work with it. Others will. Kudos
Good day boss, does it means that the said modem can be used directly by inserting sim card in it and insert the modem into the usb port on my skysat receiver to enjoy its iks and iptv without using wifi or hotspot connection from phone.
Lemmy Morgan says
@sango: that’s exactly the case sir
Thanks for the article Lemmy Morgan, I have been using this 4G modem for quite some times now (about 3 months now) and I discovered that I have made a right choice purchasing this 4G wifi modem.
I bought mine from Aliexpress.com (at around $35 USD) and I have not one day regretted the decision. Infact it’s my best buy in recent years.