This post was last updated on August 20th, 2017 at 08:59 pm
WhatsApp is a fantastic messaging app for staying in touch with family and friends as well as business contacts. It is super-fast, works on nearly all phones (including desktop computers) and Facebook has no plans to charge WhatsApp users. I will give an important WhatsApp media storage trick here today. This trick will be beneficial to everyone who sends the same set of files frequently.
WhatsApp media storage trick-for secure files storage
Probably you have hitherto been using WhatsApp primarily for text messaging and calling. However, there are a couple of other interesting uses for WhatsApp that will help boost the utility value of this app even further. Other than communicating with the external world, you can also use WhatsApp to:
- Capture and save ideas, notes, voice memos, scanned documents and everything else in your own private storage space that is accessible from everywhere.
- Quickly transfer web links, documents, screenshots, and other files between your computer and phone without having to sign-up for another service.
The idea is simple. All you need to do is to create a new virtual contact inside WhatsApp. Thereafter, you can share everything that you wish to capture privately with this virtual contact.
Normally, It is not possible to send WhatsApp messages to your own number but there’s a simple trick to get around this problem. To start with, create a new WhatsApp group with just a single participant – you and one other. Here’s how:
- Open WhatsApp on your phone and create a new group.
- Add any contact from your address book to this group. Give your group a name and save.
- Now go to the group in WhatsApp, tap the subject to view the list of participants.
- Tap and hold the only participant in this list and remove him or her from the group.
And that does it. You now have a private WhatsApp store that is visible only to you and accessible from the web (desktop) and your mobile phone.
If you wish to transfer a document from computer to phone, open web.whatsapp.com on the computer, send the file to this group and it will instantly become available on your phone. There’s search built-in so you can easily find messages by keyword later.
This is a very useful tweak which I have been using for years. Initially, I used to send all the needed files to my second line. Later on, I discovered that this virtual group of a thing is even more useful. Especially relevant is the necessity to password protect your WhatsApp app if you are storing sensitive things in it. I will personally advise you storing highly confidentially items like credit card details, email password and the likes in WhatsApp. In conclusion, i believe this WhatsApp media storage trick.