Sometimes last month when I analyse Tstv Africa scope and methods of operations vis a vis what they have the rights to broadcast, I received a lot of criticisms from those who do not have the knowledge of how things work in the satellite tv field. Also, some knowledgeable individuals attacked me due to affinity and consanguinity concern. Believe it or not, Lemmy morgan is one of the most objective analysers of all things satellite Tv in Africa. The issue of exclusivity of broadcast rights(with specific regards to sports) has now led to a Tstv vs bein war.
Especially relevant: Lemmy morgan’s analysis of TSTV Africa
Tstv vs bein what is this all about?
Like I said I do not allow my emotions to become a liability on me. There have been too many words against too little action by TSTV. To be honest, this has nothing to do with not supporting ones’ indigenous company. in my previous post, i mentioned the cases of kwese, HITV(with legitimately wrestling out the rights out of DSTv’s grasp), Glo which game with is a mega plan. TSTV put too many eggs in one basket, they promised heaven on earth, they used the social media to great effect yet they are not appearing as a company that is capable of delivering all that they promised just yet. They promise so many things for just #3,000 one-off subscription. This is difficult to achieve from a business point of view. Except you are planning to use some illegal methods
Let me narrow it down to sports channels. TSTV promised to show some sporting programs through bein. I knew from the get-go that this will be difficult even if bein is willing to play the game. However, I folded my arms and watch on because in life only change is constant. My fear was confirmed when bein sent a memo of “cease and desist to tstv” to which tstv denied.
About 5 days ago, tstv increased their satellite signal quality and also added more channels including Bein sports 4 and 2. They later renamed it to grand sports 1 and 2. We all watched UCL matches from this sports channels with frequent freezing(which is in itself a red flag) Another red flag is that there was an attempt to overwrite the bein logo. Also, I mean today, they audio became inaudible. I guess maybe bein or tstv was planning to do a modification.
The embarrassing message that appeared on our TV screen while watching Arsenal vs ZVE UEL match
This happened right before my eyes. And it is compared only to American wonder in Nigeria. 29 seconds to the commencement of arsenal vs zve match, a message appeared on our screen stating the followings:
“CA Error! YOU ARE VIEWING BEIN SPORTS CONTENT ILLEGALLY VIA TSTV IN NIGERIA”
And immediately after this, the screen went blank and there was another message that stayed for a while before TSTV wiped it out. The second message read thus:
To view this content, please contact us on: Algeria: 098240……
Like I said, tstv has shut down the two bein sports channels to save further embarrassment. I believe this is one of the reasons why they did not commence selling of their decoders yesterday as promised.
Tstv vs bein the bone of contention
Many questions are begging for answers. Maybe you can help me.
- Who is deceiving who? TSTV denied the memo from bein. Why did bein tag them illegal if the had prior contract?
- Why will TSTV attempt an illegal means of broadcasting when?
- How did TSTV have access to bein’s content even when they were not given permission by bein media group. Well, I can answer that. They must have gotten unauthorised access through ha*cking. Are we not currently enjoying sports 24 without buying the official decoders?
- Will the bein sports be back on tstv. It is most likely that it will be back if they continue using it illegally. And bein will continue discrediting them by blocking it. However, if they want to enter an agreement with bein to legally show EPL in sub-Sahara, that will be after DSTv right expires in 2019. Even at that, they may need to snap the rights off DStv not from bein
- Maybe Lemmy morgan is wrong. This could be a technical glitch. Well I hope so
- Why are other channels not affected? The other channels remain intact because they have the rights to broadcast the contents
- What about the data? This is my biggest pain. TSTV, please remove EPL from your agenda for now and start with data. I will help you sell to any length.
- When will TSTV start selling their decoder, I do not know, for now, they have a lot up their sleeves.
Let me step aside for now. I will be back with more objective and fresh news as they unfold. Thanks for staying tuned. I remain yours sincerely.