This post was most recently updated on November 23rd, 2019
If you haven’t been in this situation, you won’t know how much it hurts. I mean, its is extremely frustrating when your PS4 randomly and automatically ejects discs. In addition, your ps4 may also randomly turn itself on. If you are experiencing either or both of this problem, congratulations for stumbling upon this post. This post will give you long-lasting solutions to fix PS4 auto-power & random eject bug with some ps4 game consoles. The other day, published an article on how you can easily connect your ps4 to external speakers.
I have been at the receiving end of disc ejecting on me in the middle of serious gaming. It is more annoying when you have visitors. try these troubleshooting steps.
Sadly, this problem affects almost all ps4’s out there. However, it is more common with older units such as the original ps4(CUH-1115A, PS4 limited edition destiny white) and ps4 slim. The issue is not very common with the ps4 pro unit. both the auto-power on and the auto disc eject bug are interwoven. However, you can experience the random ejecting of a disc without experiencing the auto-power on the bug. Although, failure to fix the random ejection of a disc on ps4 may result in your ps4 console automatically powering on itself randomly
You may also like: How to triple your internet speed on your playstation 3 & 4 console
What is PS4 Auto Ejection of a Disc?
This is a situation where your ps4 system ejecting a disc when you have not pressed the eject button or perform any corresponding action to warrant the ejection of a disc. This can happen at any time but it occurs mostly after extended gameplay. If it haves too frequently, then your case is worse.
Why Would a PS4 Power on Automatically
- So long you didn’t time your system to auto power on, then it is a bug for sure. This auto power of ps4 but is closely related to the random disc ejection all other things being equal/ It is an instance whereby your unit turn itself on without your permission. As long as you are not having a broken power button, then this article will help you fix this.
- Your ps4 is turning on its own because of your faulty eject button.
Causes of PS4 Turning on or Ejecting Discs?
Sony made some design flaws with the original ps4 versions. The first annoying design is the fact that both the power button and the eject button touch-sensitive. As if that is not enough, pressing your eject button will automatically turn on your system same way press the “PS” button your Dual-shock 4 controller will power on the unit. I also don’t like the fact that sony allows a disc to be ejected in the middle of gaming. that is weird and unacceptable.
By implication, it means if you have a faulty, eject button, you may have an auto-power problem eventually.
Some factors, however, triggers both the random eject of the disc as well as the auto-on bug and these are:
- dust accumulation
- Loose manual eject button
- vibration from sound systems such as subwoofer
- Dirty eject sensor
- Wear as a result of old age. If you eject and change discs too frequently, you will eventually encounter this issue someday
- Overheating can also trigger this as it will cause
- Finally, the rubber guard beneath the eject button is also a major culprit. It contracts and expands as the unit heats up.
Available FIxes For PS4 Auto-Power & Random eject
- Placebo or Temporary Fixes
- Longterm or Permanent Fixes
Quick Fixes or First aid Fixes for PS4 Random Eject and random power-on bug
Below are some troubleshooting tips that might work for some. If none of these tips works for you, then go to the permanent fix section which will definitely work. Some of these fixes can be found on Sony official website.
Clean the disc that you are trying to play
- It is important to clean a scratched or dirty disc using a lint-free cleaning cloth made specifically for cleaning Blu-ray Discs.
- The proper way to clean a disc is by wiping from the innermost circle out towards the edge in a straight line. If this doesn’t fix the issue, go to the next tip.
Test other Discs
- Next, try playing different Blu-ray discs, DVDs and games on the PS4 system to find out if the problem occurs with other discs.
- If the problem only occurs with one disc, the disc you are trying to play could be damaged. Please change it
- However, if the problem occurs with all discs, there may be a fault with your PS4 system.
Soft Reset your PS4 Console(placebo fix)
- Switch off your PS4 [Power] > [Turn off PS4].
- Unplug the power, HDMI cables and DS4 power cable.
- Hold down the power button for 30 seconds until you hear two beeps.
- After five minutes plug the system back in and switch it back on.
Alternatively, power down the PS4 then unplug the cord and press the eject button while unplugged. You will hear a few beeps.
Boot into safe mode, and re-initialize the PS4 or re-install the firmware
. Switch of PS4, once the PS4 is off, press and hold the power button. Release it after you’ve heard two beeps: one when you initially press, and another 7 seconds later.
Properly Secure your power cable connection
- Investigate if your power cord is properly attached to the system as well as to your power supply. Partial contact can trigger errors in any device
- This didn’t work for me actually but it may work for you. we are taking the steps one after the other from the easiest fix to the most advanced one. The rubber foot for ps4 is located underneath the unit directly under the eject button where it may accidentally come in contact with the capacitive touch of the eject button when it expends from heat. See image above.
Occasionally, dust may build up on the eject button and cause it to malfunction. As a first aid step, use a soft dry brush to wipe out dust off of your ps4. go to the next tip if this fails to work for you.
Place your PS4 System of a Disc Case
I will call this a temporary or placebo fix. It tends to work for me for a while or so i thought. All you have to do is to get a DVD case and place your unit on it. This way, the unit will not touch your shelve uniformly. I will say this helps in dissipating heat more than fixing the eject issue. In a nutshell, raise it off the ground. See image above.
Change how you Position Your PS4 Console
For some, changing your existing position of the unit may fix the issue. I don’t love placing my ps4 on its side because am scared it my fall off someday. However, if your space is secure, try positioning your console vertically and is if the issue is reloved. The is a rumour that the PlayStation for is designed to be used this way. I prefer the horizontal positioning though.
Alternatively, put the ps4 upside down. This is weird but it might work. If you are not comfortable with this, then head straight to my real/permanent fix below.
Place your PS4 far Away from rattling and vibrations
if you love the heavy thumping sound, you may not enjoy your ps4 if it auto ejects. In addition, it will also start to automatically power on.to resolve this, you shouldn’t place your unit on speakers. If you discover that you have auto-power on only when your speakers are loud, reduce the volume or change the position of your ps4.
Remove The top Cover and Tighten the Manual Eject Screw
This job of this screw is to help you get your stuck disc out of the drive manually. Surprisingly, it can also interfere with normal disc ejection. In all honesty, tighten this screw doesn’t fix anything because you aren’t tighten anything. this screw is rolling freely. it is pulling against a screw that is turning a gear. It works best for remover a stuck disc.
However, if you want to tighten it regardless, remove the HDD panel, the glossy part by sliding the cover to the side and tighten the manual eject screw. for all models of ps4, visit here to locate the manual eject screw. See pic below for how to tighten the manual eject screw on the PS4 cuh-1000 series:
You need a Long but tiny Philips screwdriver for this.
Real/Longterm/ Permanent fix for PS4 Random eject and auto-switch on Issue
In this section, I shall be giving you a DIY guide to fix the ps4 auto-power and random eject problem for real. This will work in 100%. However, we need to understand some things.
Do any DIY at your own risk. If you are not comfortable with disassembling devices, it is advisable to take your ps4 to a professional. I will not be liable for any injury or loss you incur in the course of applying these steps. However, nothing will go wrong if you follow the instructions to the letter.
Also, this will void your warranty as the warranty stickers would be removed in the process.
Requirements to Actually fix PS4 Auto-Power & Random Eject Bug
- PS4 System especially the older builds
- TR9 Torx Screwdrivers set and Philips screwdriver
- Electrical Tape
- about 20 to 40 minutes of your time
- Attention to details
Steps to fix ps4 auto eject disc problem for real
First off, you need to open the bottom cover of your ps4 and also the disc drive. It all depends on the fix you want. Both methods worked for me.
Trick 1: Disable PS4 Eject Button by Blocking Electrical Current from Activating the Eject Switch
- Turn your ps4 upside down
- peel off the three bottom stickers covering the threes screws. I will advise you use a razor to peel this off the first time. try a flat head sc also.
- Now, use your Torx 9 screwdriver to loosen the three screws as shown below.
- Next, remove the shell/cover. simply move it slightly towards the front while lifting it away from you.
- There is a piece of metal that touches the sensor on the board. you may choose to break this off but I won’t advise this as it may be irreversible.
- To fix this problem, we need to prevent the metal piece on the eject button(see image above) from touching the sensor on the board. We will be blocking the electrical current from activating the eject switch
- Now, this is were your electrical tape or a similar tape comes into play. As you can see, you need to wrap the tape from under and over the small sheet of gold metal that is the sensor. that is the fix.
- Remember this is at the expense of your physical eject button. However, it is better to use your controller to eject your disc rather than having a system that randomly ejects the disc in the middle of a gaming session.
Note: The tip above will permanently disable the manual eject button although you can reverse this action so long you didn’t break the metal piece.
Trick 2: Replace or Expand the manual screw spring
This is the one that I used and it is working so far. With this trick, you don’t need to disable your eject button and you will be able to fix the PS4 auto-power & random eject syndrome. We need to remove the ps4 DVD drive The steps are as follows:
- Open the bottom cover of your ps4 using the instruction above. However, don’t cover up the sensor.
- Next, remove the power supply. To safely remove this, you need to unscrew 5 screws. Three Torx and 2 Philips screws. see image below:
- While removing the power, make sure you unhook the power cable properly. you can disconnect it either from the board or from the power supply. see picture below:
- Once you get the power supply out of the way, next there are a couple of cables you need to carefully unhook. These cables are carefully indicated in the image below:
- Now, it is time to remove the disc drive. The DVD drive is fastened with five screws. 4 Torx and 1 Philips. In addition, you need to remove the three screws holding the DVD drive’s metal cover. The images below will put things in a better perspective.
- After losing the screws and cables, you can now remove the DVD drive. Please do this carefully although it should be pretty easy.
- Next, loose the top black cover covering the diss drive plastic gears. To do this, you need to undo three screws and as shown below:
- Finally, you need to get the manual eject screw spring out and expand it. Why you are experiencing the auto-eject and auto power issue is because this particular spring is weak to the extent that it allows excessive play of the eject screw. If you can get a firm/new replacement change it otherwise, just pull at it on both ends a little in order to expand it. Once you are done, replace it and don’t displace any of the free-rolling plastic gears while at it. The image below shows the location of the PS4 manual eject screw spring.
- Congratulations, you have fixed your random eject issue and your auto power bug without disabling the eject button.
Trick 3: Buy the Digital Cop of the Game Instead
If you don’t want to disable your eject button or repair the eject screw, you can abandon playing ps4 game disc and download and play games on your HDD instead. In other words, get the digital copy. That way, there would be nothing to eject.
Trick 4: Replace the DVD Drive
If everything fails(very unlikely) and your ps4 unit is still ejecting discs or powering on randomly, then the DVD drive might be faulty. Before you jump into this conclusion, please first make sure that you can play digital copies fo the games.