The essence of fogging is that water vapor enters the case and condenses on the mirror under the influence of temperature, and a layer of water mist will form. As the temperature increases, the water mist will gradually disappear, but the disappearance of water mist does not mean that the water vapor has To remove, all watches with water vapor phenomenon must be thoroughly dehumidified to prevent water vapor from oxidizing the movement. Now, do you want to learn how you can prevent your watches from fogging up? If your answer is yes, you are in the right place.
How does Water Vapor Enter the Watch’s Case?
It is a well-known fact that watches are waterproof. And if they are used beyond the waterproof level(Detailed waterproof rating), there is a risk of water ingress.
Waterproof Levels/Ratings as it Affects Watches
- . Waterproof level 1: Water resistance up to 30 meters / 100 feet or water resistance up to 50 meters / 165 feet (only splashed water and rain can be prevented).
- The second waterproof level has water resistance up to 100 meters or 330 feet or water resistance up to 200 meters or 660 feet (can prevent splashing water and rain and can be worn for swimming).
- Waterproof level three: Water resistance up to 300 meters / 1000 feet (can be worn for free diving or water sports).
Ways to Prevent your Watches from Fogging up with Water Vapor
The waterproof of the watch is realized by the waterproof rubber ring. The rubber ring has the basic physical properties, that is, thermal expansion and contraction.
Under a large temperature difference environment, the thermal expansion and contraction of the waterproof ring cause a gap between the parts and the water vapor in the air. Therefore the airflow enters the case and cause vapor to form. Basically, the drastic change in temperature difference is a point that is easily overlooked in summer and winter.
Especially Important: 8 Ways a Smartwatch can Save you from Danger
Factors that affect the Waterproof Ability of Watches
- When it comes to the rubber ring, the aging of the rubber ring has to be mentioned. As the usage time increases, the performance of the parts decreases. Therefore, regular waterproof testing is required to prevent problems.
- Secondly, it is worth mentioning that the watch as a whole cannot be waterproofed by the waterproof rubber ring alone. Waterproofing must be achieved through the cooperation of parts. So, the case and the head still play an important role in waterproofing. These parts Damage can still cause changes in waterproof performance.