Why can’t payTV leave pirates alone to cater to the needs of the poor?
The difference between piracy in the western world and Africa is that, in the western world, only the poor and interested in it. However, come down to Africa, the reverse is the case. In another twist, the rich are the ones who have rights and licenses to pay the customs fees levied for the importation of the products. They will, in turn, sell so high and make a huge profit. Pay-TV operators will frown at anyone making huge profits at their expense. PayTV will stop at nothing to patch a vulnerability as long as it is causing them their profits.
Who has the rights to block or patch a pirate decryption?
I often get asked the following questions:
- Why is Dstv always blocking us? Afterall, we have stopped hacking DStv. To start with, Dstv is only protecting its territory. It doesn’t really matter which source you are watching your channels from. As long as you are receiving a program that you are not authorized to viewing within sub-Sahara Africa, you are not insured.
- We have several solutions to watching sports, why does satellite tv packages showing EPL gets blocked faster than others? The answer is clear enough. Soccer is the most watched sport the world over. These guys spent a lot to obtain soccer rights. On the contrary, you can spend little to nothing in getting entertainment channels.
- Who else have the rights to block pirate decryption with regards to the premier league in Africa?: Kwese and canal+ are also right holders. You can learn more about broadcast rights holders here
- Also, i get asked often the reason why small dish pirate decryption solutions get blocked faster than their bigger dish counterpart. The answer to this is because, the smaller the dish, more affordable it becomes and by consequence, the more patronage the pirates receive.
Who are the parties to cable t piracy and pirate decryption?
Th simplest summary is you and I are the pirates. Very few people are exempted. Maybe someone who is never interested in television though. Now for classification purposes. The direct parties to a successful pirate decryption onslaught/phenomenon are as follows:
- The blackhat hacker
- We also have some insiders from television companies who sabotage their employers
- The hardware manufacturers
- The dealers, installers and samplers
- The social media/bloggers / WhatsApp group admin on satellite
- The consumers. If the consumers stop buying, no one will sell
How do they fight back what are the countermeasures used?
The most important measure to prevent hacking is an Antivirus firewall. Most satellite tv operators outsource the encryption of their system to top security companies like viaccess, nagravision, Conax, Irdeto and so on.
Also, in the event of a hack, they will either block it immediately or strategically. Similarly, they have specially trained spies everywhere there can be information. Name them; WhatsApp groups, facebook, blogs, forum and so on.
There is no escape route. as long as you sell or distribute, they will be among the first to get it. Do not deceive yourself, if you happen to sell to one of their spies, you must offer support to him.
The most potent tool they use is litigation, arrest and prosecution. I have been at the receiving end of their online prosecution. In April, they reported my page of over 7000 likes to facebook because I received a sponsored article that talked about EPL. So painful that the owner of the article is one that is undeserving of such gesture.
I have not been arrested by any Paytv company and I have already put myself in a position whereby I cannot be arrested. Some installers, dealers and hackers have been arrested and this will continue.
Pirate decryption & whistleblowing/leaking in Africa Using Nigeria as a case study
Firstly, I will want to disclaim myself from any Whatsapp or telegram group in my name. Lemmy morgan doesn’t own any WhatsApp group on satellite and I will not own one soon. My integrity, safety and security matters to me a lot. In a similar vein, there is this individual out there(you know yourself) who is badmouthing me.I will not expose you. In my possession is the proof of how I publish an article for you(A regrettable action which costs me my facebook page) Who knows maybe you are the real Dstv agent. If I also publish my conversation with you or how poor an after sales customer support you offer, you will lose all your online integrity.
The icing on your cake will be the manual action against you by Google which was recently fixed. And you dare have the guts to tell me I copy from you?. I wish you well and will always have your back. Please desist from tarnishing people’s image. A word of advice for you: Try writing in simple and clear English, Also make sure you don’t brainwash your followers or threaten them. Be polite and be of good conduct when offering after sales services to your customers. I am not your competitor in any way because I don’t sell what you sell. Please leave me alone and stop lying about things I know nothing about.
This individual has been doing this for years just to bring disrepute to my name. He has been parading himself has Mr know it all. Funny enough he also mentions my name in groups and associations he belongs to. This person comes up with all sorts of lies against me to seek attention and attract public sympathy.
Some of his lies against me are as follows:
- That it is only when Lemmy morgan talks about dongle that it gets blocked. Are you for real, what about the tigerstar decoder that you talked about when it was opening DSTV. Does that mean you were responsible for blocking it? There is nowhere I published an article about tiger3000 when it was opening DStv and I knew of it. What about the numerous software on your site and the product you are selling opening while still naming the price in other to take advantage of your colleagues?
- He also was responsible for publicising the rumour about my arrest. Imagine someone I have never met eyeball to eyeball claiming to know everything about me.
- As if that is not enough, he sent people to me to be telling me to stop giving information he already talked about or is about to talk about. He alone wants to be known, he alone wants to sell. Even when I no longer sell, the hate still continues
- Unbelievably, he also accuses me of copying his work. I am sure you don’t know the consequences of plagiarism. My brother, which articles are you talking about? Maybe you are trying to say you are the be all and end it all of the satellite in Africa. What invention is credited to your name, please?
- The latest thing he is talking about is that I am a DSTV agent. Well, am not concern about this. Thank God you know I deal with the masters.Nobody will be a Dstv agent and have such privilege.
Pirate decryption & whistleblowing how is this done in Africa?
Away from the above distraction. Now, what constitutes the rapid blocking of hacked satellite tv services. Information is very key in this regard. And information is not completed until it is encoded by the receiver. In other words, it is not enough to have just the information without understanding it. Only the paytv staffs blow the whistle. what we do is a leak or pass information. Now, who leaks information about a hack? Since satellite piracy is not something you can make money from alone, the leaking starts from the source.
In order of significance, the following are the medium by which the services get blocked:
- Every exploit will be patched no matter how long it last. I used glo to browse once upon a time for 8 months before it gets to the internet. I also used Etisalat for more than a year even though the trick was available online in the second month. We have always been hoping from one free browsing or the other before we had a major price slash on all data subscriptions.The price slash reduced the interest in FBT because it is no longer worth it. That doesn’t mean there is no more free browsing. In fact, we still have many VPN that can do free browsing. Similarly, broadcast piracy will continue, it will be locked, and another solution will emanate. SKS>>IKS>>IPTV what is next?
- The developer of the solution sells the code and the right to receivers hardware manufactures. The main goal of any black hat hacker is to make a profit. he hacks and sells or hacks and distributes. Let me use sports 24 HD as an example. The person who released the emulator did not hoard it, he released it for all to use while it last. He also did not sell it. If he got the solution and refuse to release it, in 7 years to this time, sports 24 may not discover.
- The PayTV operators’ spies: In case you do not know, there are special elements being employed by paytv and handsomely paid just to gather information. These people will never disclose their true identities no matter what. They are closer to us than you think. They are in all WhatsApp groups. That is the reason why I do not belong to many groups and I don’t own one. These are the real whistleblowers. Other are simply leakers. They will buy this thing from you and you will sell to them unknowingly. Many cases on this is available online
- Authorized PayTV dealers: these people need to sell as many as they can to meet the target. They always conduct a local survey to unravel the mystery behind any drop in sales. This is a good pointer to the fact that, there could be an alternative. Some will call consumers to ask them why they are not subscribing.
- Now we come down to the hardware manufacturers. You know as well as I do that, we have saturation and proliferation of decoders out there. 99.9% of which are all made in China. These chinse geeks, want to make money. so they release the software and upload it for both new and existing clients to download.
- Mega-dealers and installers: Every dealer is eager and willing to sell. that is why most of them approach us. if they do not sell on time, the exploit may be patched and they lose their investment. Installers alike don’t want to stockpile products unnecessarily. Many installers and dealers now have their own website just to market. These offer valuable information.
- The final consumer’s input: Let me tell you a little anecdote to back this up. The first time was ever a party to piracy was with my strong 4669x. Back in the days, we used biss keys to get a few of DStv channels. This installer introduced it to me and lied to me that it will work for six months. I paid him and he did abracadabra. after three weeks, It went off and he stopped picking my calls. I got another one through another installer and he also lied to me. From there, I researched, discovered a lot, mingle with people and start doing things myself. I started giving out information free of charge
- Blogger social media, WhatsApp telegram other groups: Back in the days, we use BBM groups. Nowadays, it is mostly WhatsApp and telegram all in the bid to cover more grounds. The more grounds we cover the more public what you are hiding becomes. Also, we bloggers have a hand in the passing of information. Social media platforms like Facebook are even stronger.
Conclusion and summary
To wrap up this piece, I will like to say, it takes more than one person or a site to whistleblow or leaks an info that will lead to the patching of the software. It definitely starts with the person who releases the program. The only way to stop fast blocking of IKS/SKS solutions is to make it expensive. As long as it is still within reach of the common man, it will continue getting blocked and new solutions will continue to surface. It is worthy of note that, big dish solution always last longer than the small dish. Also, any solution that consumes huge data like IPTV may not thrive like their non-data consuming counterparts like Powervu. Finally, all new powervu boxes are currently working. Contact your local installers for a solution if you cant find a specific software for your decoder.