We all know the convenience, security and satisfaction associated with cashless banking. There are at least 18 duly registered and authorized commercial banks in Nigeria. All these banks have their individual internet banking and mobile banking platforms. However, online banking requires internet access, hence I present to you the full list of Nigerian banks USSD codes that can enable you to initiate and complete your banking transaction without an internet connection.
I am going to provide a complete list of Nigerian banks USSD codes. All you need to do is to look up your bank from the list and dial the code to begin the transaction. In some instances, you will have to create a pin. Happy reading.
What is Unstructured Supplementary Service Data(USSD)?
According to Wikipedia, Unstructured Supplementary Service Data (USSD), sometimes referred to as “Quick Codes” or “Feature codes“, is a communications protocol used by GSM cellular telephones to communicate with the mobile network operator’s computers. USSD works for banking services, WAP browsing, prepaid callback service, mobile-money services, and as part of configuring the phone on the network
Advantages of Using USSD banking over internet banking
- Wide Compatibility: Just about any mobile phone can use it even phones without multimedia and internet facilities
- Time-saving: It saves cost obviously because you do not need to have data to transact
- it saves queue in the banking halls
- it is faster than Internet banking because it has fewer processes
- You can use it to buy recharge card(imagine you are out of data and you want to re-subscribe, don’t you know that without USSD banking, you will have to walk outside to buy the physical recharge card? Except you borrow from your network, transfer funds, view your balance, view your BVN.
- More secure than going to the bank
- Convenient and comfortable to use everywhere you go as it can work easily with edge/2g /gsm network. More reliable than internet banking that requires a stable network to use
Disadvantages of USSD Vs Internet Banking
Below are the constraints of USSD banking:
- In the event of a network fluctuation, you may not receive the transaction successful notification. Sadly, at this point, the transaction might have been completed. To combat this problem, please confirm that you have not been debited whenever you fail to receive a confirmatory alert before retrying)
- If you have a real and complete internet banking solution especially one that requires a hard token device, you will know that there are no limits to what you can do with your account. Your withdrawal limits are more than 20 times that of ussd in Nigeria. USSD limits are equals to ATM limits with some bank while it is slightly more in banks like GTBANK.
Requirements for Using USSD to Bank
- First off, these operations can only be performed on a phone with the sim card registered to the bank
- Also, there is no all-in-one code as you will soon find out. A code is peculiar to a bank. Therefore, you need the code that works for your bank
List of Nigerian banks USSD codes
- First bank USSD code – Please dial *894# to begin. Now, to transfer money from your first bank account simply dial *894*Amount*Account Number#E.g. *894*50000*1234567890# To transfer N50,000 to account number 1234567890 in any bank in Nigeria.Airtime RechargeAirtime Recharge – for self-dial *894*Amount#E.g. *894*500# to recharge N500 airtime on your mobile number registered with First Bank.Airtime Recharge –for others dial *894*Amount*mobile#E.g. Phone Number# *894*500*080XXXXX123# to recharge N500 airtime for phone number 080XXXXX123.
- Union bank USSD code – Dial *826#To transfer money or buy airtime from your Union Bank account simply dial *826# and follow the screen prompts to complete your transaction.
- GTBank USSD code – DIal *737# to get started. On how to Transfer Funds from your GTB account transfer to another GTBank Account simply dial *737*1*Amount*NUBAN Account Number# (e.g. *737*1*1000*1234567890#) from the phone number you registered with GTBank, then follow the on-screen prompts. To transfer funds to other Banks, Dial *737*2*Amount*NUBAN Account Number# (e.g. *737*2*1000*1234567890#) from your phone, then authenticate the transfer with the last four digits of your GTBank debit card. For Self Top-up AirtimeSimply dial *737*amount# on your phone (e.g. *737*1000#) to buy airtime.
For Self & third (3rd) Party Data Top-up
Simply dial *737*4# on your phone and follow the on-screen prompt.
- UBA bank USSD code: to get started, dial *919#. To transfer money or buy airtime from your Uba Bank account simply dial *919# and follow the on-screen prompts.
- Access bank USSD code: dial *901#. Now, when you want to transfer money or buy airtime from your Access bank account simply dial *901# and follow the instructions thereafter.
- Unity Bank USSD code: you can perform your normal banking transaction like transferring money to other banks. To proceed, dial *7799#
- Sterling bank USSD code: before you can use the bank USSD code you first have to register by dialling *822#
- Fidelity bank USSD code: to begin, dial *770#. For a Fidelity bank account to another bank account, dial *770*Account number*Amount#.E.g *770*0987654321*1000#
- Wema bank USSD code: dial *945# to get started. Transfer money to transfer money from your WEMA bank account simply dial *945*beneficiaryaccountnumber*amount#Buy AirtimeTo buy airtime from your WEMA bank account simply dial *945*phone Number*amount#
- EcoBank(Eco Mobile)USSD Bank code: Dial *326# and follow the prompt
- FCMB USSD Code: dial *329# then follow the on-screen prompt.
- Heritage Bank USSD code: dial *322*030#
- Keystone Bank USSD code: *533# or *7111#
- Skye Bank/Polaris bank USSD code: *833#
- Stanbic IBTC USSD code: to start, dial *909#
- Zenith Bank USSD code: *966#
- Diamond Bank: *426#
- Standard Chartered bank USSD Code: *120#
- SunTrust bank offers Text banking and not USSD banking. Text to SUN411 (786411).
- Providus bank: USSD code N/A
- citibank: USSD code N/A use their mobile app
To Check your Bank verification number on any Nigerian network
Dial *565*0#. This may attract some charges depending on your network