This post was most recently updated on August 31st, 2019
Footnote: You cannot successfully get the HB working via the LNB cabling when using the older decoders. The HB via the LNB cabling is designed for use with the Explora decoders and with the HD single view decoders from the 5-Series and newer.
Explora 1 heartbeat to Explora 2A Xtra View Options
To use the Explora 1 as a primary decoder where Explora 2A will be the secondary via the Smart LNB, you will need to connect a diplexer at the back of the Explora 1. Of course, we all know that the Explora model 2A has a built-in diplexer. Diplexers are available at most stores that deal with installation needs.
Take note of the followings when setting Explora 1 and 2a for xtraview
- Set your LNB type to unicable/satcr and connect your cable to unicable port A on SLNB and Unicable in at the back of your explora 1
- Setup up your decoders from the within the decoder settings.
- Your Explora 1 must use index 0,1,2 while the 2a which is your secondary decoder will use 3 and 4.
- Next, connect your diplexer 1 to the back of your Explora 1. The diplexer will output the heartbeat pulse to the 2A.
To be honest, I will recommend using the Explora 2A as primary when you are combining Explora 1 and 2a. The Explora 2A is best for Primary power-wise as well.
Best decoders to combine with Explora 2A for Extra view Setup
The following choices with the Explora 2A as Primary will not give a problem;
- Any secondary or mix of secondaries that belong to the group “Explora (any) and series 4 single view HD”.
- Any secondary or mix of secondary decoders that belong to the group “Explora 2A and series 5 single view HD”.
- Explora 2A + Explora 1 + series 5 is believed to work fine.
However, a problem was found by when trying Explora 2A + series 4 + series 5.
I don’t know the one that failed. But it is most likely it is the 5 series that will cause the problem. This is because it has caused more issues than anything else with XtraView has for a long time. So take note of the above combination.
How to Connect two HD PVR2P Decoders for Xtraview/Extra view
- First off, with two HD PVR2P decoders, you have to change the default settings on the one decoder to use different user bands as the two interfere with each other.
- To do this, go to the network settings on one of them find the option that allows you to change the userbands and select user band. With the correct frequencies and both decoders will work. (ONLY works with the HDPVR2P, the Pace decoder IF the sw has been updated to the latest to allow it).
- For clarity, HD PVR2P Primary (best to use userbands 0,1, which isthe defaults)
- HD PVR2P Secondary (2,3 or 3,4, or 4,5 or 5,6 or 6,7)
- Connect your heartbeat cable.
- Also, make sure both decoders are set to SATCR Universal in the network settings.
Warning!! Both decoders must be on all the time (connected up and powered up and at least working or on standby), as these decoders cannot supply enough power to power the SLNB on their own. the SLNB was designed to be used with the Explora decoders.
The HB these days can run between any for the RF ports, it depends on what you want to do with the RF signal if anything. So just for HB RF IN to RF IN is okay.
Moreover, with this setup, you need two have two separate xtraview subscriptions, with the single view on its own.
To mitigate these hassles, you could upgrade to an Explora plus a HD decoder 5 or 6 series( single view) and get all this on one subscription now. At least one of the decoders must be an Explora 2A though.
How to Setup Xtraview Using Explora 3A as the Primary decoder and Explora 1 as the secondary
Connecting two Explora decoders have always been easy. The diagram above illustrates how you can connect Explora 3a and 1 for xtraview. For clarification, the image above has been interpreted below:
- Run a cable from the SLNB to the room where you want the secondary decoder located. The cable should be connected to port B on the SLNB, assuming the existing decoder is connected to port A.
- Once the decoders are connected you need to configure the network settings.
I presume the Explora 1 is set to use User bands 0,1,2, which is the decoder 1 settings?
Set the Explora 3A to make use of decoder 2 settings as per the installation wizard.
- The next hurdle is the heartbeat. you will need to get a Diplexer to install behind the Explora 1 so that it will be able to receive HB from the Explora 3 via the SLNB cabling.
- In addition, you must sort this out before you contact multichoice to setup your xtraview subscription.
Setup XtraView on Explora 3A + 2A + 3A(3-in-1) Decoders
As you can see from the diagram above, one of the Explora 3A is set as the primary decoder. In tis setup, there is no need for any heartbeat cable. You only need to do the followings:
- Set one Explora 3a as primary and let it use the default user band settings. Then, connect it to Port A of the SLNB
- Set the 2A as secondary and decoder 2. It will be connected to port B of SLNB and use UB 3 an4.
- the last 3A will be the second secondary decoder and it will be named decoder 3.
- Once this is done, reboot all the decoders and call DStv to activate your Xtraview subscription on two out of the 3 decoders. The 3 decoders will, however, use the same package bouquet.
Connect Explora 1 and HD PVR 2P Decoder to Xtra View
- According to the image above, these two combinations can only work if you use the old method of sending the heartbeat pulse. That is you need to set the HD 2P PVR as your primary.
- Also, note that you will select satcr/universal on your HD 2P network settings.
- The Explora will be Unicable/satcr.
- Run your HB cable from the RF out of the HD 2P PVR to the RF IN of the Explora 1.
- Confirm your connection and call Multichoice to activate your Xtraview on the primary decoder.
Explora 1 and DStv HD Single view 5U XtraView
In this setup, it is better to use the Explora 1 as the primary decoder.
- First, connect SLNB LMX 500, 501 or 502 to the unicable port B of the 5U. Now, connect the Explora 1 to Port A
- Run two coaxial cables from A and B ports of the SLNB. 1 cable to Unicable In of the Explora. The other one to I/O port of the diplexer if you using the Aerial King diplexer.
- Place diplexer behind Explora. NowRun short cable from ANT port of diplexer to RF out of Explora. Run one long cable from SAT port in diplexer to the 5s/5u extra view decoder.