Quick Tips on how to make money using OBD2 Scanners
Apart from performing diagnosis and repairs on your own car with the help of an OBD2 scanner, it will interest you that you can also make money using OBD2 Scanners. You can start this up with as little as $100 or less. Also, you don’t need a shop to get started. Read on to learn how.
Requirements to start using an OBD2 Scanner
- First, You need to be able to read basic English Language. I mean it is difficult for a stark illiterate to be able to use an OBD2 Scanner effectively without help
- Secondly, You need at least $100(this includes the shipping cost for the simplest but versatile obd2 Bluetooth scanner with a phone. – this is for small-scale
- Thirdly, if you would opt or a Bluetooth scanner, then you will need either an Android or an iOS phone.
- Next, you also need an internet connection for research. I mean, it is almost impossible for you to know the location of the OBD2 of every vehicle model. This is where Google search engine an youtube come in. Search for the vehicle’s name and year of manaufacture and look up its OBD2 port on Google.
- Finally and most importantly, you must be willing and ready to market and promote yourself in a convincing manner. You can’t buy it and just wait at home and expect people to call you.
I know everyone reading this article today is qualified to make money from possessing such a tool. I will now explain how below:
Steps to make money using OBD2 Scanners
Currently, I own a very powerful Bluetooth OBD2 scanner. Guess what, it serves me as well as those expensive wired ones. This tool cost me less than $100 but it is just a connector/adapter meaning you need an Android or iPhone to read the data. see picture below.
Luckily, if you have just $110 and an Android or iOS phone, you will be able to buy a Bluetooth scanner with one free eobd software(that can only scan but doesn’t clear codes and two vehicles specific software with full system functions. In my case, I got the Honda and Toyota software package with my tool. Each software for each vehicle cost $39 dollars meaning I got two software worth of $78 + the scanner + the shipping all for $110. Let me explain this is a detail with the aid of diagrams:
From the above pictures, you could see the that the tool supports a whole lot. I am lucky with my selection because choosing HONDA also means supports for Acura(even though you can also download Acura only software) similarly, choosing Toyota is almost the same as choosing Lexus. If you need additional software, you will need to buy them individually for $39 each. This purchased software does a lot ranging from ABS, SRS, Transmission, air condition, diesel engine, fuel engine, tires, seats just anything.
WARNING WARNING!!! Please do the diagnosis in the presence of the car owner, not the mechanic. Your transparency must be 100%. Secondly, please if you are not a mechanic or if you are not good with DIYs, do not attempt to fix the problem yourself/ Immediately you diagnose the problem, , go to the workshop.
How to make money from owing an OBD2 scanner
make money using OBD2 Scanners as individuals:
- First off, you must have acquainted yourself with the specific tool in your possession. This is very important. practice with it and know how it works before presenting yourself to people.
- Aside from the above, you will need to liaise or connect with as many mechanics as possible and with as many vehicle owners as you know(as long as their vehicles were manufactured on or after 1996).
- Now, start telling them about what you have got, good for you if any of them already has a check engine light(which in most case car owners ignores until the vehicle breaks down totally). Test it, explain what it does and how it can help them. Have a pact with the local mechanics that you will give them discounts whenever you do business in their shop, you can also spend some time in the workshop of the very popular ones so that you can talk with customers directly.
- You first need to determine where the 0BD2(16-pins) socket is located in the vehicle. my article here will help you with that
- In addition, also need to know the manufacturing date of the vehicle so that you won’t waste your time and energy
- Especially relevant is the need for you to charge lesser than others in your vicinity initially. Once you become popular, you can increase your fee. No task force for OBD2 tool users yet and you are not taking away the mechanic’s job. Many of these mechanics own their respective tools but they can only read basic fault codes. Remember, yours can read vehicle specific codes, enhanced codes and generic codes.
- You can also connect with vehicles electricians as it will be a mutual benefit as well. They are the ones who will replace the fuses, sensors and solenoids.
- Once calls from a particular mechanic or client become very frequent, you can charge him twice the amount you purchase yours and help him get one for himself
- You can enter some offices and introduce it to them.
- Finally, you can create an edge over your competition by helping them with the repairs after diagnosis. This is what I mean. When you scan their vehicles and you have seen the faulty sensors or fuses, help them place the orders for the sensors from a trusted local or online store. That way you are increasing your income and also retaining your clients.
- There is no limit to how much you can make from this if you can commit your time and energy.
How to make money using OBD2 Scanners as an Artisan/Mechanic
If you are a mechanic, you can expand your flow of income from your workshop. you will have one advantage over most of your rivals/competition. To increase your income, I will advise you to also go and learn how to repair ABS. the brake system has gone beyond just replacing the pad and you may be hurting the vehicle by disabling the ABS brake. In addition, please don’t condemn any sensor, replace them instead. All sensors serve a purpose no one of them is surplus to requirement. Amongst others, below are some of the tips on how you can earn more money as a mechanic, vehicle electrician, brake specialist, or transmission specialist using an OBD2 tool
- Buy a very good(and feature-loaded OBD-2)for your personal use as well as for rentals. I mean you can rent to your colleagues who cannot afford it for a fee.
- Suffice to say that you can get more customers by owning one.
- Trading this is also very possible. I have personally been buying and reselling the OBD-2. You can also do this.
- It can propel you to learn and research even more which by extension will result in more money.
- You may consider buying the one of $2,000 which has 3 years warranty and 2 years of free premium software packages for all types of vehicles and trucks. This same complete tool also has at least 20 connectors. However, if you do not have the money, you can still make do with that of $110 and buy more software as you make more profits. the software bought are yours for life.
- The Ultimate OBD-2 scanning tool also gives you the repair guide and at times with video
The above is an example of a full package PROFESSIONAL Universal Bluetooth / wifi and cable scanner. Cost between $1700 to $2,500.
How you can make Very big Money using OBD2 Scanners
If you have a huge capital, you can even make millions of these tools by ordering in bulks and reselling it. Big Chinese companies such as Alibaba sells OBD-2 in bulk at ridiculously cheap prices. Aside from that, if you are in Nigeria you can list your items on local online retails store like jumia and konga or even jiji. Below are tips on how to make huge profit trading in OBD-2 scanners
- Order them in bulk from the direct source. When your consignment arrives, resell.
- Alternatively, you can have an office for this and employ a staff that will monitor things. You surely will need to buy the professional tool that will cover all. Needless to say, advert may be useful here
- You can buy additional tools like that of alignment and so on
- Also, you can import large and sell cheap.
- Just think about any way to sell.
Like i said above, even if you are a young graduate, you can do this business. I receive calls from mechanics and vehicle electricians alike about thrice a week. In most cases, i don’t even have the time to go to them.
The owners will pay you directly for the diagnosis and your Job is done. However, if the mechanic you are dealing with happens to be a stark illiterate, you can charge extra for interpreting the error code in other to facilitate repair. If you do not know the meaning of a code, you can use Google.
If you will need help buying the basic tool or even the professional one, you can contact me via the contact page or via my email directly info @ lemmymorgan.com. Similarly, if you have some in mind already but you are confused about which to choose, please you can get to me to give you advice.