This post was last updated on September 23rd, 2020 at 05:18 am
Here is a newbie’s guide to popular free-to-air satellite TV frequencies, positions, and channels. FTA satellite frequencies are just one of the requirements needed to receive FTA channels. Basically, to track any satellite TV position successfully, you will need to get your location and Dish size right.
Interestingly, I would also be providing you with tips on how to calculate the exact size of the dish you will need in your location.
Irrespective of your location and dish size, “footprint and the satellite beam plays the most important role”. Don’t be surprised if your very big dish is incapable or receive your favorite satellite TV channels. The reason for this is that that particular satellite doesn’t have a footprint in your location.
This article is all about FTA channels, FTA satellite frequencies, and all the requirements needed to successfully install FTA TV channels. It is unrealistic and impracticable to give an exhaustive list of all available FTA satellite packages and channels. Hence we are going to limit ourselves to the most popular ones.
Apart from this, I will also be providing links to resources that can help you search for and get new free-t-air channels when the need arises.
What is Free-To-Air(FTA) Satellite TV?
Within the context of this post and according to Wikipedia, Free-to-air (FTA) are television (TV) and radio services that broadcast their programs in clear (unencrypted) form. This allows any person with the appropriate receiving equipment(e.g an FTA receiver) to receive the signal and view or listen to the content without requiring a subscription. In simpler terms, it means satellite tv packages or channels that you can receive with any FTA decoder without any form of subscription or internet connection is a Free to air(FTA) channel.
Free-to-air can also be referred to a platform where channels and broadcasters provide content for which no subscription is expected. However, this content may be delivered to the viewer/listener by another carrier for which a subscription is required, e.g. cable, satellite, or the Internet.
What are Satellite TV Frequencies?
Satellite frequencies, also known as transponders are the series of interconnected units that form a communications channel between the receiving and the transmitting antennas(Dish).
The primary function of satellite frequency is to transfer and receive signals from satellite communication. In addition, any satellite frequency band consists of the following parameters:
- Satellite name: e.g Hotbird, Sky, beIN, DStv, Mytv, Cosmote, OSN, Nova canal, Nigcomsat, sky, DirecTV, and so on
- Orbital position: For example East or west
- Transponder Frequency: usually in numbers e.g 12345,01234
- Symbol rate: also in numbers
- Polarity: either Horizontal or Vertical (V)
Forms of FTA Satellite TV Channels and Their Features
- A satellite tv service provider may launch a permanently free TV channel. For example, CCTV has been free on 36e for a very long time and it still is. Therefore, we have channels that are free in some positions indefinitely.
- Also, channels that are available only as test transmission are also considered free to air. Channels on test transmissions would always end up being encrypted in the long run
- Lastly, some live feed channels are free to air. However, they are only online during live broadcasts of specific events.
Features of Free-to-Air Satellite TV Channels
- Firstly, FTA channels are free of any form of paid subscriptions. Once you have the right equipment, you can enjoy them indefinitely.
- Also, FTA channels are that they are prone to volatility and instability. Many FTA channels have come and gone and the trend is continuous. It is unusual to have viewing interruption with some free-to-air channels.
- Lastly, it is a general belief that most FTA channels consist of uninteresting programs. I object to this as I will consider it a subjective claim. For instance, if you are a clergyman/clergywoman and the only thing that interests you is religious channels, you can be a lifetime FTA viewer.
You May Also Like: List of Satellite TV Frequencies & Channels Receivable in Africa
Major Free-To-Air- Channels Misconceptions
- There is this erroneous belief that FTA is the act of watching satellite tv programs free of charge. Hence some people believe that even if they get a device that is designed to circumvent pay-TV subscriptions, they are using an FTA receiver.
- For all intents and purposes, IKS or SKS decoders are not exactly the same as FTA receivers. Pure FTA receivers would not come with preloaded with special accounts and they would not require internet connections to watch any programs.
- Summarily, If what you are watching is programs that would otherwise have been paid for free, then you are not doing FTA.
Categorizing Free-to-Air Satellite TV Channels Based on Dish and LNBf Types
We can categorize FTA satellite frequencies based on the dish/antennas and LNBf used in installing them. Basically, the type and number of FTA channels you can watch on a particular satellite largely depend on the size of the dish and LNBf used.
In addition, the location of your that your dish is facing also plays a major factor.
There are two types of parabola dishes that you can use to track FTA channels. These are Ku band dish(also known as offset dish) and prime focus dish known as c band. Some packages consist of both band and Ku band frequencies e.g NSS7, ABS 3W, and so on.
One more dissimilarity that exists between a C-band dish and a Ku-band dish is that a C Band dish is wider and it is capable of receiving more channels than the KU Band/offset dish.
Requirements for Tracking Popular Free-To-Air Satellite TV frequencies and Channels
Generally, FTA satellite channels are easy to track. Notwithstanding, there are some cannot-do-without requirements you must meet before your quest for FTA channels is successful. Below is the list of the must-haves before you attempt to track any FTA channels.
- Capital: You need some money to purchase the required equipment. Your capital depends on how much FTA channels you wish to receive. Budget between #40,000(for small dish and equipment), to #100,000($277) ( for a basic big dish).
- Up next, you need the service of a skilled professional satellite installer. Good for you know the basics of satellite TV Installation.
- The most tricky decision to make is that of the type and size of the dish. Please go with the best your money can buy. Hence the dish is the next requirement.
- Now, you need to have the decoder. I will place a strong decoder over and above any FTA decoders in Africa. When you are buying a strong decoder, please go for an HD satellite receiver at the very least.
- In addition to the above, you need a wide range of satellite dish components like LNBf, F-connectors, coaxial cables, and so on. When buying your LNBf, go for Original inVerto or strong short-neck LNB or Technomate. You can get the pictures to further list of satellite components here. Pay particular attention to the quality of the LNB you buy. See pictures below for examples of how C band and KU band LNBs look like.
- Additionally, you may opt to buy a sat-finder if you are new to the satellite installation. We have budget satfinders like hellobox smart S2, satlink and Freesat
How to Track/Install a Satellite Dish for Free-to-Air(FTA) TV Channels
FTA satellite frequencies are intertwined with FTA channels. Also, you simply wouldn’t be able to track any satellite tv channel without having its frequencies. Moreover, I will give you tips on how to track any satellite tv channels of your choice. Of course, this includes FTA channels. I am assuming that you already have all the necessary tools.
How to Setup your Satellite Dish for FTA Channels Installation
- Unpack all the materials from their boxes
- Assemble them using the user manual
- attach your LNBf to the dish Lnb holder
- Next, attach the coaxial cable to the LNBf
- Furthermore, link the other end of your coaxial cord to your tracking device(e.g, your Sat-tracker)
- Lastly, keep adjusting your dish’s azimuth and elevation until you get the optimum signal strength and quality. The quality percentage depends largely on the quality of your LNBF, coaxial cable, and the distance from the receiver to the dish. 70% is okay, although anything above 80% is the best. This depends on your LNB
- For the purpose of every newbie reading this, please proceed to my article on how you can track a dish manually. You can find the article here
List of Some Latest Free-To-Air(FTA) Satellite TV Channels and Frequencies For Tracking Them
Technically, wider parabola dishes is a precursor to getting a larger number of free-to-air channels. Big satellite dishes are very important to FTA channels installation.
In the past, let’s say from 2012 to 2016. A 3-meters dish used to be the standard. Nowadays, you are better off starting off with a 4-meters/18 ft(400 cm) dish. Therefore, if you have the money and space for it, get it.. Luckily, if you can’t get a big dish and you want to enjoy FTA channels, you can buy a special LNB holder and track multiple satellite channels on your small dish. See the guide here. Without mincing words, switching from pay-TV to into FTA can be frustrating, but once you are used to it, you will never regret it.
1. Apstar 76.5E (C-Band)
Apstar 76.5ºE is the home to a lot of sports channels including Pakistan Sports HD. Surprisingly, you can get free to air channels that broadcast sporting events on this satellite. If you are in MENA or the rest of Africa and you love sports like EPL, FA Cup, English premier league, cricket, and so on, this is the satellite for you.
Apstar 2 at 76.5E Tracking Parameters
- LNBF Type: C Band LNBf
- Dish Type: C band/Prime Focus dish
- Dish Size: or 2.4-meters(240 cm)
- Satellite orbital position: Apstar 2 at 76.5e satellite.
- frequency: 3780
- Polarization: (H/V)
- Symbol rate: 30000
Channels on Apstar 76.5E
- Pakistan Sport HD
- Eurosports India
- 1 Sports and so on
Tracking For Apstar 76.5E
- Add HBO frequency 3964 H 19500 to your tracking device
- Get a good signal strength on HBO
- Next, change the frequency to that of PK Sport HD That is 3780 (H)30000
- Fine-tune your dish until you are satisfied with your signal reception.
- Once you hit a good signal strength, then fasten your dish.
- The last thing is for you to blindscan your decoder in order to get all available channels.
- If you are confused about how to go about this effectively, learn how to scan satellite tv channels here
2. Nigerian MUX Now Available on Intelsat 33e at @ 60.0ºE
- For those who have been eager to have trybe tv back as free to air, I have a piece of good news for you. Trybe and similar Nigerian local channels are once again available as free-to-air on Intelsat 33e at 60.0e.
Channels list of Nigerian Mux on 60.0E
- trybe TV
- sound city
- Lagos TV
- Wazobia Max
- Spice tv
- Wazobia TV
- Lumen Christi and so on
- Dish Size: You need a 1.8 Meters C band dish with a very good c band lnb to track this.
- Frequency: Use 3973 H 18315.
MBC packages are available on Badr at 26.0°E and the dish size required to nail this satellite is 90 cm and above. I will personally recommend a 1-meter dish at the very least
MBC on Badr tracking Parameters
- Symbol rate: 27500
- Pol: V
- Position: 26.0° East
- Dish size: 90 CM Ku band or bigger
4. ABS 3A @ 3° West
- Frequency: 11052 or 11088 or 11168 (H) 30008.
- Symbol rate: 30000.
- Polarisation: H.
- The dish size is a 90-cm Ku band dish.
In spite of the fact that tstv is no longer on this position, you can still get a handful of free channels for soccer b3tting on this position.
5. Mega Choice at 29/30° East
- TP: 11294 H: 45000
- Dish: 1 meter Ku band dish
6. Eutelsat 7A/7B 7.0°E
Tracking Parameters and Frequencies
- Frequency 1: 10721 H 30000,
- 2) 10762 H 30000,
- 3). 10804 H 30000,
- 4). 10845 h 30000.
- Dish: 60 cm to 1-meter.
7. Winners Chapel Frequency and Symbol Rates
Due to popular demand, below is the frequency to get the “winners chapel” channel. Of course, you can watch the ongoing Shiloh program on it free.
Tracking Details to Receive Winners Chapel Channel Free
SES4 @ 22W(Canalsat position)
Symbol rate: 3254
Polarity: R which is same as vertical
Dish size is 1.8meters and above.
SES 5 @ 5E(startimes position)
Symbol rate: 27500
Dish size is 60CM and above. Set your LNB skew to 6.0 clock
Shiloh TV is Also free on Eutelsat 7B at 7.0°E
The frequency is 10887 H 30000. You can receive it with a 90cm dish.
8. NigComSat 1R at 42.5°E
Tracking Frequencies for Nigcomsat
- Frequency: 12518
- Symbol rate: 29500
- Pol: H
- Pos: 42° East AIT
- Dish size: 90 CM Ku band
Some important channels on NigcomSat include: Core tv, Galaxy tv MBC packages(Mbc 1,Mbc 2,Mbc 3, Mbc Action, Mbc Bollywood, Mbc Max) and around 40 others that you can find here
9. Eutelsat at 36° (DStv position)
- Frequency: 12245
- Pol: H
- Dish: between 60 cm to 90cm
- Symbol rate: 27500 then blindscan to get others
FTA Channels on Eutelsat 36.0ºE
- love world,
- Emmanuel TV,
- cctvf and so on
You can get both yayi TV and Tstv Africa channels on this position Azerspace 2/interlsat 38 at 45.0ºE. This package is currently free to air until further notice. Below are the requirements from getting Tstv free to air channels on any FTA decoder
- Satellite Name: Azerspace 2/interlsat 38 at 45.0ºE
- Frequencies: 11476 or 11556
- Symbol rate: 30000
- Polarization: V
- Dish size: 90cm recommended in sub-Sahara Africa. Dish size varies with location
11. Yayi TV Free to air on Azerspace
Here is a bonus for all sports lovers. Yayi TV 2 is the free to air channel that shows star/big football matches free of charge. They show both EPL and UCL. Furthermore, they share the same position as TStv on azerspace. However, the channel doesn’t belong to TStv. As you would expect, you can only enjoy this while it is still free to air. To receive yayi tv channels, use the following frequency:
- Satellite name and position: Azerspace 2/interlsat 38 at 45.0ºE
- Channel Name: Yayi TV
- Dish size: 90CM and larger
- Frequency 1: 11474
Symbol rate: 30000
Frequency 2: 12692
Symbol rate: 6500
- Frequency 2: 12511
Symbol rate: 12500
- Frequency 3: 12661
Symbol rate: 12500
After tracking with the above frequency, make sure you blindscan your decoder in order to receive the yayi TV 2 channels. As of now, they still broadcast live sports on-demand
Yayi TV channels List
- YAYI TV1&2
- HDNET TEST
- MAAH TV,
- Tracking Frequencies for Hotbird:11541 H:22000, 11604 H, 11843 V, 11900 H more here.
- Dish size: from 2.6 meters in Nigeria.
Note: Hotbird channels are available in both Ku and C Bands.
For all FTA lovers, you will agree with me that Hotbird is indestructible, timeless, and evergreen. Hotbird has a wide beam meaning it is not under the direct control of any Pay-TV company. Moreover, more FTA channels are being added hourly.
On addition, the best way to get the most out of Hotbird is to visit satellite resource sites like lyngsat often. There you can get updated frequencies in the event that there are changes. or similar sites for new frequencies.
13. American forces Network (AFN) at 9° East
- TP: 11804 H: 27500 Dish: 1 m Ku Band
14. Astra2F @28.5° (multi tv position)
- Position: 28.5°E
- Frequency: 12525 V 27000, 11094 H 30000
- Dish size: 90 cm u Band
Available FTA Channels on Astra2F at 28.5ºE
This is a Ghana-based satellite tv provider. you will get over 20 channels here.
- GH one
- Angel tv
- Joy prime
- African movie net
- waptv and lots more.
- Frequency: 11938 V 27500, 10992V27500, 12265 (H) 27500, 12476 (H) 27500
- Dish requirements: from 1-meter(4 meters recommended for beIN sports in West Africa).
Some MBC channels are now available on a 1meter dish on this position. Amos / Eutelsat 16A @16 degree east
16. Amos 16/17 @ 16.0º East (home to TVsat, SeaAfrica and more)
Firstly, this is where MyTv moved to when it left 68.5east. It alongside multitv and Nigcomsat have the hottest free to air(FTA) satellite frequencies and channels in Africa. Channels like, Wap Tv, African Movie Net, Tvc entertainment, Tvc News, Channels Tv, Rave, Starmovies + , and lots more are free on this satellite position. Amos 16.0 deg east consists of various satellite tv packages such as tvsat, MyTv, seasat.
- Dish Requirement: 60cm or 90cm dish ku band LNB
- Frequency: 12520H30000 OR 10802H30000, 11293 h 45000, 10804 (h) 30000
then you can blind scan
17. MyTV Africa New Position, Frequency & Channels: Now Broadcast on Belintersat 1 at 51.5°E
My TV Services are now back on-air via Belintersat 1 at 51.5ºE, Freq: 11050MHz, Horizontal, SR: 30,000Ms/s. Dishes need to be re-pointed and frequency rescanned. No authorized viewing time will be lost. As always, My TV viewers will be generously compensated for the resulting inconvenience and associated costs.
Updated MyTv Africa Frequency
Dish requirement is 60CM and bigger
Below are some of the channels you can receive on MyTV package on 51.5e
My TV packages are divided into two categories, they have 25 encrypted channels that you need to unlock after subscribing to their service and at least 54 unencrypted/ free to air channels. both the FTA and the encrypted ones would be listed here.
List of Encrypted/Scrambled Channels on My TV Africa
other channels are as follows:
- Ait, Channels, english club, aljazeera, France 24, silverbird, nta, wapTV, Rave tv, NHK World, tabu, RT documentary, zoomoo, wazobia tv, world fashion channel, smithsonian, love nature, galaxy tv, and KBS World
Full Free to air channels list on MY TV Africa @ Belintersat 1 at 51.5°E
- 2 STV
- Africa TV3
- Amen TV
- Arewa 24
- Boom TV
- Burkina Info TV
- Cameroun 7
- Canal 2 English
- Canal 2 Movies
- Cash Chrono TV
- Canal 2 International
- DBS TV
- Dieu Tv
- Digital 1
- Equinoxe TV
- France 24 (fr)
- Golfe TV Africa
- Hadi TV
- Impact TV
- La Beninoise
- New world Info
- La Chertienne
- My TV Promo
- New World Cinema
- New World Sport
- OLE TFM
- New World Maga
- Power TV
- QTV Senegal
- Quest Tv
- RTB TV
- Sweet Radio Vision
- Tandberg Service
- TFM Religions
- TFM Senegal
- TVC Entertainment
- TVC News Nigeria
- TVT Togo
- Ubiz News
- Unafrica TV
- Vision 4
- Vox Africa
- Vox TV
18. Huda TV on Eutelsat 7.3°W
- Satellite orbital position Eutelsat 7 West A
- Frequency: 12188
- Polarity: H
- Symbol rate: 27500
19. Eutelsat 7A At 7.0E Satellite Coverage
We have Eutelsat 7a, 7b, 7c, and Africa. In other words, the footprint is available for Europeans and Africans basically. Most countries of the world can receive this satellite. for Africans, visit this link, for the rest of the world, please follow this link.
The satellite beam covers the middle east and north African countries such as Egypt, Ethiopia, Sudan, and Kenya. You can receive the satellite with a minimum of a 60cm dish.
In addition, many European countries such as the United Kingdom, Germany, France, Portugal, Spain, Turkey, Italy, Poland, and so on can also get the satellite easily.
In Sub-Sahara African countries of Burkina Faso, Nigerian, Ghana, and others can only get the CCTV5 package with a minimum of 90cm dish and bigger
Below is the list of channels available on this package including the frequency, to track them. to learn about how to track a satellite dish generally, read this. for how to track Eutelsat 7a in particular, read this.
Free to air Channels List on Eutelsat 7A At 7.0E
- CCTV1 HD
- CCTV4 HD
- [SPORTS PACKAGE]Eleven Sport
- [Shows Football] CCTV5
- Discovery HD
- CCTV2 HD
- Hollywood HD
- ASTV HD
- BTV HD
- JSTV HD
- ZJTV HD
- AHTV HD
- LNTV (Scramble)
- PHX HD
Eutelsat 7A At 7.0E Frequency for CCTV Package
|Item||Frequency||Polarization||Symbol Rate||Channel Package|
|1.||10762||H||30000||Chinese Mux: CCTV5 and Eleven Sport|
- Satellite Name: Eutelsat 7A
- Position: 7.0E
- Frequency: 10721
- Polarization: Horizontal
- Symbol Rate: 30000
20. Eutelsat7a @ 7° East (Malagasy Position)
Comprises of most African stations especially French-speaking African countries including Africa Unite Tv that show a 24hrs movie. At some point, MBC packages were free on it. However, there are other channels on this bird that you can explore.
- dish requirement: 1-meter for better performance. ku band LNB
- 12728 (H) 30000
- Frequency; 11192 (V) 30000
- 3210, 10976 (V) 3333
- 12728 (V) 30000 then you blind scan
21. Intelsat7 @68.5° degree east
This satellite comprises mostly Christian channels, and its a very easy and simple satellite to track, you will get over 100 Christian channels here including Nollywood and press tv for movies and news respectively and they are all free.
- dish requirement: 60cm dish Ku band LNB
- 12722 (V) 26657
22. SES @4.8° degree East
The dish requirement for tracking SES 4.3E is 60cm. However, 90cm is recommended. You also need a Ku band LNB.
SES @4.8° degree east Frequency
- Frequency: 12014
- Polarisation: V
- Symbol rate: 30000
- vox Africa,
- TV5 MONDE
- France 24
- Sunna, and so on.
23. NSS7/ SES 4 @ 22.0º West (Canal Afrique position)
We don’t have many exciting channels for sports here free, but you can enjoy free African music such as Makossa, salsa e.t.c.
The frequency for tracking canal Afrique on 22.0ºW
- Frequency: 10986
- Polarity: (V)
- Symbol rate: 30000
- Size of dish: 60cm and above
24. Nilesat Satellite at 4.5 Degrees East
- You can view good foreign news, entertainment, and much more.
- Frequency: – 12015 H 29949
- Frequency – 11008 V 5000 and 11045 V 40000
- Dish req: 90 cm and bigger
26. Nigeria Mux Package On Intelsat 33e At 60.0e
Nigeria Mux satellite Package is a free-to-air satellite tv owned and managed by a Nigerian broadcasting corporation. It is a group of local channels from Nigeria from different tribes and regions aimed to promote the African Cultural Heritage.
- Satellite: Intelsat 33e @ 60.0ºE
- Frequency – 1: 3724 R 1600,
- Frequency 2: 3735 R 1667,
- Frequency 3: 3751 R 18315
Dish requirement: A C-band 1.8 meters/ 6ft Dish and above. The bird is receivable in Sub-Saharan Africa
List of Some Popular Free-to-air Channels in Nigeria
While this article is targeting a global audience, I will try to use Nigeria as a case study so as to narrow things down a bit. Nigcomsat 1R42.5e is a very good source of FTA package. Below are a shortlist of FTA channels that you can receive on Nigcomsat
- We have Mbc 1
- Trybe TV
- Mbc 2
- Mbc Max
- Nta entertainment
- Nta sports 24
- People tv
- Tara tv
- Mbc 3
- Galaxy TV
- Channels TV
- Mbc Bollywood
- Silverbird TV
- Nta news 24
- Mbc Action
- Nta sports 24
- Super Screen
- Core tv
- Quest tv
- Al Yah1
- Winners Chapel TV
- LEPA TV
- Motor TV
- M. A TV
- Fairy Tales
How you can get the latest Free-to-Air Channels, and Frequencies on Your Own.
To start with, there is no one post that can cover every FTA satellite frequencies or channels. Against this backdrop, , I have taken it upon myself to provide valuable links to where you can search for new FTA frequencies in case the existing ones go off.
Apparently, FTA is dynamic and channels broadcasting as free-to-air can change without prior notice. Also, we have some situations whereby some channels would go off.
Channels going off are common with test transmission channels and live feed channels, You really need to be up to date and that is why I am providing the list below.
Websites where you can get Updated FTA Frequencies & Channels
- Lyngsat.com (You may be interested in my guide on how to get channels from lyngsat)
Additional Resources for Beginners going into FTA Satellite TV Installation
- Beginners guide on how the satellite TV works
- Live sports feed channels only: 22nd July to 1st of August 2018
- Compilations of all major positions & TP for Satellite packages receivable with a 90 & 60cm Dish in Africa
- HOW TO MANUALLY TRACK A SATELLITE DISH & FREQUENCIES
- Predetermine The Size of Dish to be used for any Satellite