I have decided to come up with an improved and updated guide of basic latest FTA channels and frequencies for existing and potential free-to-air(FTA) users. FTA satellite frequencies are just one of the requirements needed to receive FTA channels. First off, tracking any satellite TV channel/position is location and Dish size-dependent. Fortunately, I would also be providing you with tips on how to predetermine the exact size of the dish you will need in your location.
Furthermore, irrespective of your location and dish size, “footprint and the satellite beam plays the most important role”. No surprise why even the biggest dish cannot get Hotbird 13e signal in Uganda while 2.6meter dish and above can receive it in Nigeria.
In this article is all about FTA channels, FTA satellite frequencies and all the requirements needed to successfully install any FTA channels of your choice. It is unrealistic and impracticable to give an exhaustive list of all FTA satellite packages and channels. Hence we are going to limit ourselves to the most popular ones. Apart from this, I will also be providing links to resources that can help you be in charge as to get fresh FTA channels and their frequencies as they appear.
Below is the list of questions this article will be answering:
- What is free-to-air(FTA)?
- What are FTA satellite frequencies?
- Types of FTA satellite tv channels and their features
- Requirements for tracking or installing FTA satellite frequencies
- List of some major FTA satellite frequencies and channels
- How to track/install a dish for FTA channels
- How you can get the latest updated and working FTA satellite frequencies.
What is free-to-air(FTA)?
Within the context of this post and according to Wikipedia, Free-to-air (FTA) are television (TV) and radio services that broadcast their programs in clear (unencrypted) form. This allows any person with the appropriate receiving equipment(e.g an FTA receiver) to receive the signal and view or listen to the content without requiring a subscription. In a layman’s language, and satellite tv packages or channels that you can receive with any FTA decoder without any form of subscription or internet connection is a Free to air(FTA) channel.
FTA also refers to channels and broadcasters providing content for which no subscription is expected, even though they may be delivered to the viewer/listener by another carrier for which a subscription is required, e.g. cable, satellite or the Internet.
What are FTA satellite frequencies?
FTA satellite frequencies are also known as transponders is the series of interconnected units that form a communications channel between the receiving and the transmitting antennas(Dish). It is mainly used in satellite communication to transfer the received signals. In addition, FTA satellite frequencies bands consist of the following parameters:
- Satellite name: e.g DStv, Mytv, Kwese canal, nigcomsat, sky, DirecTV and so on
- Orbital position: For example East or west
- Transponder Frequency: usually in numbers e.g 12345,01234
- Symbol rate: also in numbers
- Polarity: either Horizontal or Vertical (V)
Types of FTA satellite tv channels and their Features
FTA satellite tv channels can come in three forms and they are as follows:
- A satellite tv service provider may launch a permanently free channel. For example, CCTV has been free on 36e for a very long time and it still is. Therefore, we have channels that are free in some positions indefinitely.
- Secondly, channels on test transmission are also considered free to air. Channels on test transmissions would always end up being encrypted in the long run
- Thirdly and finally, some live feed channels are free to air. However, they only broadcast when there is a live event.
Nature/ features of FTA satellite tv channels
- FTA channels are free of any form of subscriptions. Once you have the right equipment, you can enjoy them indefinitely.
- Also, another feature of FTA channels is that they are prone to volatility and instability. Many FTA channels have come and gone and the trend is continuous. Also, there may be inexplicable instability that might interrupt users viewing.
- It is a general belief that an FTA channel consists of uninteresting programs. I object to this as i will consider it a subjective claim. For instance, if you are s clergy and the only thing that interest you is religious channels and news, you can be a lifetime FTA viewer.
Especially Relevant: List of Satellite TV Frequencies & Channels Receivable in all 50 African Countries
FTA Channels Misconceptions
There is this erroneous belief that FTA is the act of watching satellite tv program free of charge. Hence some people believe even if they get a device that is designed to circumvent pay-TV subscriptions to watch pay tv contents, they are using an FTA receiver.
For all intents and purposes, IKS or SKS decoders are not exactly the same as an FTA receiver. Pure FTA receivers would not come with special accounts and they would not require internet connections to watch any programs. If what you are watching is programs that would otherwise have been paid for free, then you are not doing FTA.
Latest FTA Channels and Frequencies: Taxonomy by Dish & LNBf
Also, another means of categorizing FTA satellite frequencies is by doing so along with the dish/antennas and LNBf wavelength. The FTA Tv channels you will have to receive depends on the size of the dish you’re using. In addition, the location of your dish is facing also plays a major factor.
There are two types of dishes or antennas that you can use to track FTA channels. These are Ku band dish(also known as offset dish) and prime focus dish known as c band. Some packages consist of both band and Ku band frequencies e.g NSS7, ABS 3W and so on. Another difference between a c band dish and a Ku band dish is that the former is larger and by extension capable of receiving more channels than the later.
What are the requirements for tracking the latest FTA Satellite Channels?
Generally, FTA satellite channels are easy to track. However, there are some indispensable requirements you must meet before your quest for FTA channels is successful. Below is the list of the must-haves before you attempt to track any FTA channels.
- Capital: You need some money to purchase the required equipment. You capital depends on how much FTA channels you wish to receive. Budget between #40,000(for small dish and equipment), to #100,000($277) ( for a basic big dish).
- Next is the service of a skilled professional satellite installer. Good for you if you are one.
- The most tricky decision to make is that of the type and size of the dish. Please go with the best your money can buy. Hence the dish /antenna is the next requirement.
- Now you need to have the decoder. I will place a strong decoder over and above any FTA decoders in Africa. When you are buying a strong decoder, please go for an HD like 4920 or above. If you don’t want a strong decoder, go for anyone of your choices.
- In addition to the above, you need a wide range of satellite dish components like LNBf, F-connectors, coaxial cables and so on. When buying your LNBf, go for Original inVerto or Fuji stargold. You can get the pictures to further list of satellite components here. Pay particular attention to the quality of the LNB you buy. See pictures of some great LNBfs below.
- Additionally, you may opt to buy a satfinder if you are new into the installation games. We have budget satfinders like hellobox B1, satlink and Freesat
How to track/install a dish for FTA channels
FTA satellite frequencies are intertwined with FTA channels. Also, It is impossible for you to track any satellite TV channel without having its frequencies. Moreover, I will give you tips on how to track any satellite tv channels of your choice. Of course, this includes FTA channels. I am assuming that you already have all the necessary tools.
Steps to setting up your satellite dish for installation
- Unpack all the materials from their boxes
- Assemble them using the user manual
- attach your LNBf to the dish Lnb holder
- Next, attach the coaxial cable to the LNBf
- Also, link the other end of the coaxial/LNB cable to your tracking device(this could be a decoder or satfinder)
- Finally, start adjusting your dish’s azimuth and elevation until you get the required signal strength and quality. The quality percentage depends largely on the quality of your LNBF, coaxial cable and the distance from the receiver to the dish. 60% is fair, 70% is good although above 80% is the best.
- For the purpose of every newbie reading this, please proceed to my article on how you can track a dish manually. You can find the article here
List of Popular Free-to-air Satellite TV Channels
While this article is targeting a global audience, I will try to use Nigeria as a case study so as to narrow things down a bit. Currently, the best free-to-air satellite package in Nigeria is Nigcomsat 1R42.5e. The reasons is because it has the most exciting channels list. Below are a shortlist of FTA channels that you can receive in Nigeria and other African countries.
- We have Mbc 1
- Mbc 2
- Mbc Max
- Nta entertainment
- Nta sports 24
- People tv
- Mbc 3
- Galaxy TV
- Channels TV
- Mbc Bollywood
- Silverbird TV
- Nta news 24
- Mbc Action
- Nta sports 24
- Super Screen
- Core tv
- Quest tv
- Al Yah1
- LEPA TV
- Motor TV
- M. A TV
- Fairy Tales
- merrybet, naijabet, nairabet, winners golden bet.
As a reminder, you can only get all the channels above on combinations of satellite tv positions.
List of Some Latest FTA channels and Frequencies
First off, the main frustration with FTA channels is that the bigger your dish, the larger the number of channels you will receive. The importance of a big dish on FTA channels cannot be overemphasized. Like I said earlier, buy a big dish. The frequency list contained in the article is the updated version from authority sites like lyngsat.com and flysat.com
If you can afford a 400 cm(4-meters) dish get it. Glady, if you can’t get a big dish and you want to enjoy FTA channels, you can buy a special LNB holder and track multiple satellite channels on your small dish. See the guides here. Without mincing words, switching from pay-TV to into FTA can be frustrating. But once you are used to it, you will never regret it.
With a 90cm or 1 meter dish, you can track and receive all MBC packages on Badr at 26.0°E.
MBC on Badr tracking Parameters
Symbol rate: 27500
Position: 26.0° East
Dish size: 90 CM Ku band or bigger
Position: ABS 3A @ 3° West Satellite name: OLD TSTV Africa Position
Frequency: 11052 or 11088 or 11168 (H) 30008. Symbol rate: 30000. Polarisation: H LNB. The dish size is 90-cm Ku band dish. In spite of the fact that tstv is no longer on this position, you can still get a handful of free betting channels on this position. The likes of 9jabet, betking, merrybet, WGB and so on are free on this position.
- Mega Choice at 29/30° East TP: 11294 H: 45000 Dish: 1 meter Ku band dish
Kwese tv at Eutelsat 7A/7B 7.0°E
TP: 10721 H 30000,10762 H 30000,10804 H 30000, 10845 h 30000. Dish: 60 cm to 1-meter. Kwese. Kwese Free Sport shows 1 EPL match every Saturday afternoon. It is still free on some frequencies but it currently opens with Biss keys in Nigeria. Kwese TV also exists in other positions apart from 7A/7B. You can also nail kwese on the following positions:
– Kwese on Intelsat [email protected] 72.1east, freq:3742, polarization:L, symbol rate:13930
– 22w Kwese viasat 1, 3726 H 1000 used to be Free
– bilinterasat @51.5 east C-band freq:3877 polarization:L symbol rate:6420. Opens with biss
How to Convert your Kwese Decoder to FTA
kwese TV officially terminated their satellite TV operations on August 5, 2019. Just like HiTv back in the day, it was initially difficult to use the official kwese decoder for FTA. I am happy to inform you that, that is no longer the case as you can now use your Kwese TV decoder for free to air channels.
As a free to air decoder, it means you can watch other satellite tv channels on the decoder.
Steps to Watch Free to Air Channels on Kwese TV Decoders
- Make sure you first track the free to air satellite channels using a known FTA standalone decoder e.g strong or by using a good sat-finder.
- Next, connect your LNB cable to the LNB in of your kwese decoder
- Now, power on your decoder
- Go to system settings
- Navigate to “time settings” under the system setting
- Once you scroll to time settings, highlight it with your remote but don’t open the time settings
- Without opening the time settings, press the green button on your remote then dial “4362 plus mute“.
- Instantly, a Menu Setup will pop-up. Open this and use this to scan the free to air channels you have an earlier track. Enjoy
Winners Chapel Frequency and Symbol Rates
Due to popular demand, below is the frequency to get “winners chapel” channel. Of course, you can watch the ongoing Shiloh program on it free.
SES4 @ 22W(Canalsat position)
Symbol rate: 3254
Polarity: R which is same as vertical
Dish size is 1.8meters and above.
SES 5 @ 5E(startimes position)
Symbol rate: 27500
Dish size is 60CM and above. Set your LNB skew to 6.0 clock
Shiloh TV is Also free on Eutelsat 7B at 7.0°E
Frequency is 10887 H 30000. You can receive it with a 90cm dish.
Symbol rate: 29500
Pos: 42° East AIT
Dish size: 90 CM Ku band
Some important channels on NigcomSat include: Core tv, Galaxy tv MBC packages(Mbc 1,Mbc 2,Mbc 3, Mbc Action, Mbc Bollywood, Mbc Max) and around 40 others that you can find here
Dish: between 60 cm to 90cm
Symbol rate: 27500 then blindscan to get others
This position has a couple of Christian channels like love world, Emmanuel TV, Chinese news channels like CCTV, cctvf.
TStv Africa on Azerspace 2/Intelsat 12/902 at 45.0ºE New Position & Frequency
Tstv Africa is currently broadcasting on Azerspace 2/interlsat 38 at 45.0ºE. This package is currently free to air until further notice. Below are the requirements fro getting tstv free to air channels on any fTA decoder
Satellite Name: Azerspace 2/interlsat 38 at 45.0ºE
Frequencies: For day tracking, use(11476) When you are tracking between 8 PM and 7 AM use(11556)
Symbol rate: 30000
Dish size: 90cm recommended in sub-Sahara Africa. Dish size varies with location
Yayi TV2 Free to air on Azerspace
Here is a bonus for all sports lovers. Yayi TV 2 is the free to air channel that shows star/big football matches free of charge. They show both EPL and UCL. Furthermore, they share the same position as TStv on azerspace. However, the channel doesn’t belong to TStv. As you would expect, you can only enjoy this while it is still free to air. To receive yayi tv channels, use the following frequency:
Satellite name and position: Azerspace 2/interlsat 38 at 45.0ºE
Channel Name: Yayi TV 1 and 2
Dish size: 90CM and larger
Frequency 1: 11474
Symbol rate: 30000
Frequency 2: 12692
Symbol rate: 6500
Frequency 3: 12511
Symbol rate: 12500
Frequency 4: 12661
Symbol rate: 12500
After tracking with the above frequency, make sure you blindscan your decoder in order to receive the yayi TV 2 channels. As of now, they still broadcast live sports on-demand
Yayi TV channels List
- YAYI TV1&2
- HDNET TEST
- MAAH TV,
TP:11541 H:22000, 11604 H, 11843 V, 11900 H more here. Dish size: from 2.6 meters in Nigeria. Hotbird channels are available in both Ku and C Bands.
I call this the king of evergreen FTA satellite channels and frequencies. Hotbird has a wide beam meaning it doesn’t belong to a particular payTV. Moreover, more FTA channels are being added hourly. The best way to get the most out of Hotbird is for you to frequent lyngsat or similar sites for new frequencies.
- American forces Network (AFN) at 9° East TP: 11804 H: 27500 Dish: 1 m Ku Band
Astra2F @28.5° (multi tv position)
-Frequency: 12525 V 27000, 11094 H 30000
-Dish size: 90 cm u Band
This is a Ghana-based satellite tv provider. you will get over 20 channels here. Channels on Multiv include: Gtv, GH one, Angel tv, Cineplus, Joy prime, etc. Others include; African movie net, waptv and lots more.
Frequency: 11938 V 27500, 10992V27500, 12265 (H) 27500, 12476 (H) 27500
Dish requirements: from 1-meter(4 meters recommended for beIN sports in West Africa).
Some MBC channels are now available on a 1meter dish on this position. Amos / Eutelsat 16A @16 degree east
Amos 16/17 @ 16.0º East (home to TVsat, SeaAfrica and more)
Firstly, this is where MyTv moved to when it left 68.5east. It alongside multitv and Nigcomsat have the hottest free to air(FTA) satellite frequencies and channels in Africa. Channels like, Wap Tv, African Movie Net, Tvc entertainment, Tvc News, Channels Tv, Rave, Starmovies + , and lots more are free on this satellite position. Amos 16.0 deg east consists of various satellite tv packages such as tvsat, MyTv, seasat.
Dish Requirement:60cm or 90cm dish ku band LNB
Frequency: 12520H30000 OR 10802H30000, 11293 h 45000, 10804 (h) 30000
then you can blind scan
MyTV Africa New Position, Frequency & Channels: Now Broadcast on Belintersat 1 at 51.5°E
My TV Services are now back on-air via Belintersat 1 at 51.5ºE, Freq: 11050MHz, Horizontal, SR: 30,000Ms/s. Dishes need to be re-pointed and frequency rescanned. No authorized viewing time will be lost. As always, My TV viewers will be generously compensated for the resulting inconvenience and associated costs.
Updated MyTv Africa Frequency
Dish requirement is 60CM and bigger
Below are some of the channels you can receive on MyTV package on 51.5e
My TV packages are divided into two categories, they have 25 encrypted channels that you need to unlock after subscribing to their service and at least 54 unencrypted/ free to air channels. both the FTA and the encrypted ones would be listed here.
List of Encrypted/Scambld Channels on My TV Africa
other channels are as follows:
- Ait, Channels, english club, aljazeera, france 24, silverbird, nta, wapTV, Rave tv, NHK World, tabu, RT documentary, zoomoo, wazobia tv, world fashion channel, smithsonian, love nature, galaxy tv, and KBS World
Full Free to air channels list on MY TV Africa @ Belintersat 1 at 51.5°E
- 2 STV
- Africa TV3
- Amen TV
- Arewa 24
- Boom TV
- Burkina Info TV
- Cameroun 7
- Canal 2 English
- Canal 2 Movies
- Cash Chrono TV
- Canal 2 International
- DBS TV
- Dieu Tv
- Digital 1
- Equinoxe TV
- France 24 (fr)
- Golfe TV Africa
- Hadi TV
- Impact TV
- La Beninoise
- New world Info
- La Chertienne
- My TV Promo
- New World Cinema
- New World Sport
- OLE TFM
- New World Maga
- Power TV
- QTV Senegal
- Quest Tv
- RTB TV
- Sweet Radio Vision
- Tandberg Service
- TFM Religions
- TFM Senegal
- TVC Entertainment
- TVC New Nigeria
- TVT Togo
- Ubiz News
- Unafrica TV
- Vision 4
- Vox Africa
- Vox TV
Huda TV is free to Air on Eutelsat 7.3°W
Satellite orbital position Eutelsat 7 West A
Symbol rate: 27500
Chinese Full CCTV package including Sports Now Free to AIR ON Eutelsat 7A/7B at 7.0°E
Chinese Mux which contains CCTV5 and Eleven Sport spotted working on Eutelsat 7A at 7.0E. In this tutorial, I will teach you how to install your dish to Eutelsat 7A At 7.0E where CCTV5 or Eleven Sport known as Chinese Mux. The frequency, satellite coverage and every other thing you need to know will be well detailed.
Eutelsat 7A At 7.0E Satellite Coverage
We have Eutelsat 7a, 7b, 7c and Africa. In other words, the footprint is available for Europeans and Africans basically. To get all the full available countries of the world that can receive this satellite, please follow this link. However, for Africans, visit this link.
These Chinese packages consist of cctv 1 to 5 and Eleven Sport. The satellite beam covers middle east and north African countries such as Egypt, Ethiopia, Sudan and Kenya. You can receive the satellite with a minimum of 60cm dish.
In addition, many European countries such as the United Kingdom, Germany, France, Portugal, Spain, Turkey, Italy, Poland and so on can also get the satellite easily.
In Sub-Sahara African countries of Burkina Faso, Nigerian, Ghana and others can only get the CCTV5 package with a minimum of 90cm dish and bigger
CCTV is a Chinese package(also being referred to as Chinese mux) with some satellite tv channels that primarily broadcast in the Chinese language. some of these channels(cctv5 and eleven sport) show live sports events including soccer. Below is the list of channels available on this package including the frequency, to track them. to learn about how to track a satellite dish generally, read this. for how to track Eutelsat 7a in particular, read this.
Free to air Channels List on Eutelsat 7A At 7.0E
- CCTV1 HD
- CCTV4 HD
- [SPORTS PACKAGE]Eleven Sport
- [Shows Football] CCTV5
- Discovery HD
- CCTV2 HD
- Hollywood HD
- ASTV HD
- BTV HD
- JSTV HD
- ZJTV HD
- AHTV HD
- LNTV (Scramble)
- PHX HD
Eutelsat 7A At 7.0E Frequency for CCTV Package
|Item||Frequency||Polarization||Symbol Rate||Channel Package|
|1.||10762||H||30000||Chinese Mux: CCTV5 and Eleven Sport|
Eutelsat7a @ 7° East (Malagasy)
Comprises of most African stations especially French-speaking African countries including Africa Unite Tv that shows a 24hrs movie. At a point, we were watching all MBC packages free on it. There are other channels on this bird that you can explore.
dish requirement: 1-meter for better performance. ku band LNB
Frequency: 12728H30000,Frequency; 11192(V_), 3210, 10976 (V)3333, 12728(V)30000 then you blind scan
- Intelsat7 @68.5° degree east:
This satellite comprises mostly Christian channels, and its a very easy and simple satellite to track, you will get over 100 Christian channels here including Nollywood and press tv for movies and news respectively and they are all free.
dish requirement: 60cm dish ku band LNB
frequency:: 12722V26657 after nailing this frequency you blind scan to get the other channels.
- SES @4.8° degree east:
dish requirement 60cm but 90cm is recommended ku band LNB
Frequency use 12014V30000 to track and once you hit high percentage you blind scan to get other channels
channels like vox africa, LMTV, BVN, TV5 MONDE, France 24, CCTV, Sunna and so on.
- NSS7/ SES 4 @ 22.0º West Canal Afrique position: We don’t have many exciting channels for sports here free, but you can enjoy free African music such as Makossa, salsa e.t.c.
-Frequency; 10986(V) 30000 (size of dish = 60cm)
- Nilesat satellite 4.5 degrees east – good for foreign news, entertainment and much
-Frequency: – 12015 H 29949
-Frequency – 11008 V 5000, 11045 V 40000
– Dish req: 90 cm
Nigeria Mux satellite Package is a free-to-air satellite tv owned and manage by Nigerian broadcasting corporation. It is a group of local channels from Nigeria from different tribes and region aimed to promote the African Cultural Heritage.
Satellite: Intelsat 33e @ 60.0ºE
-Frequency – 3724 R 1600, 3735 R 1667, 3751 R 18315
– Dish req: A C-band 1.8 meters/ 6ft Dish and above. The bird is receivable in Sub-Saharan Africa
How you can get the latest updated and working FTA satellite frequencies.
To start with, there is no one post that can cover every FTA satellite frequencies or channels. Due to this reality, I have taken it upon myself to provide valuable links to where you can search for new FTA frequencies in case the existing ones go off. Conclusively, FTA channels always increase. However, we have some situations whereby some channels would go off. Channels going off are common with test transmission channels and live feed channels, You really need to be up to date and that is why I am providing the list below.
List of W Sateebsites where you can get the Latest FTA Channels and Frequencies on Your own
Additional Resources for Beginners going into FTA Satellite TV Installation
- Beginners guide on how the satellite TV works
- Live sports feed channels only: 22nd July to 1st of August 2018
- Compilations of all major positions & TP for Satellite packages receivable with a 90 & 60cm Dish in Africa
- HOW TO MANUALLY TRACK A SATELLITE DISH & FREQUENCIES
- Predetermine The Size of Dish to be used for any Satellite