Happy new year to you all followers of this blog. We shall all have better interactions this year and many years to come. As always, most of my articles benefits more of the newbies / novice among us that the geeks(when i say geeks, am talking about satellite installer and engineers). In this article, I will try and give hints on how you can get your decoder setup if you are using a disecq switch to combine two or more satellite packages on one single decoder without you having to call your local satellite installer.
How does A Diseqc Switch Funtion?
The primary function of a diseqc switch is to combine two or more satellite on a decoder for your viewing pleasure. Put differently, if you install more than one dish e.g, to watch dst* and multitv / daarsat and you don’t use a diseqc switch, it means you will have to always unplug the lnb cable from the back of your decoder and plug the lnb cable of the channel you want to watch at that point ij time. A diseqc switch removes this inconvenience. In Africa, we majorly have 2*1 and 4*1 diseqc switches( 4*1 means 4 lnb ports and one receiver port. the ports are number 1,2,3,4(take note of this number because it must corresponds with that of your decoder settings. If you have two dish, it means you will make use of two out of the four ports of the diseqc switch. for example, i made use of port 1 and Port 3.. My dstv dish is in port 1 and my Amos 17.0e is in port 3
“Note: Qsat and very other few decoders represents their diseqc ports as A,B,C,D. Where A = 1, B=2, C=3 And D = 4. This is just formality”
The picture below explains better:
WHO IS QUALIFIED TO USE THIS DISEQC TUTORIAL?
To start with, if you are using just only one dish, please don’t apply any setting from this tutorial.. That being said, for you to know that it is time for you to manipulate your diseqc settings on your decoder, the following events must have taken place.
- You have hitherto been using two dishes and you were able to watch two satellites on your decoder without you unplugging and re-plugging your lnb cable manually
- You have just done a factory reset of your decoder or you just upgraded your decoder
As a result of your upgrading your decoder, one Of the two satellite channels is displaying bad signal. e.g, your dst* is showing fine while your daarsat / multitv / mytv is displaying bad signal.
HOW TO SET UP MY DISEQC SWITCH MYSELF
If the above is your case, there is nothing preventing you from setting this up yourself instead of you calling your local satellite installer. I will use qsat as my case study but this tutorial applies to all old, new, existing and uocoming decoders. All you must know is that you have to locate the name Diseqc within your decoder. The diseqc setting is always under Installation / Antenna setting of any decoder.
- Press menu on your remote and goto installation>>antenna settings when prompted to enter a password, enter four zeros “0000”
- Under Antenna Setting, scroll down to DiSEqC Mode. By default the diseqc mode will be either None or Off. You have to enable this by clicking on it and changing it to diseqc 1.0. Another thing you will notice here is that, your dish signal quality will be zero if your diseqc is off and there is not dish plugged into port one of your diseqc switch outside as shwon in the picture below:
- Once you have enabled your diseqc switch, what is left is for you to select the port that corresponds with your dishes outside. I said it earlier that in My case, i use port one and 3. So i selected port A for my dst* and port C for my Amos. as shown below:
- Immediately you select the right diseqc ports, your satellite Signal and quality status bar will reflect the exact percentage you got the very first day you installed your dish. failure to setup your diseqc switch(if you have more than one dish) will result to you not been able to scan and save any channel on the affected satellite. There have been situations where my followers here comments that “after upgrading my decoder, i couldn’t get my dstv channels i only got multitv channels. It means these people are using two dishes, one for dstv and the other for mutitv and they did not set it up before scanning. Like I said earlier, this is an exhaustive tutorial with pictures and it applies only to thise using a diseqc switch to combine their two or more dish