This post was most recently updated on July 31st, 2019
HAME 3G Wi-FI router is a versatile excellent router which has multiple uses. In this tutorial, I will be explaining(with the help of clear pictures) how to configure your hame router for first use. This article will also benefit users of other types of wifi routers. Read along with me.
Useful Tips for Configuring HAME 3G Wi-FI router
- Older versions of hame router have a bug that prevents you from customizing it on a computer(I will give you a workaround on this)This issue has been fixed in newer versions like A16S
- You can find your default wifi password on the reverse side of your hame router
- The URL that will give you access to your router is either written on the body of your router or in the manual this is “http://192.168.169.1“
- All hame comes with a manual written in Chinese language and this can make it very difficult for newbies to figure out(don’t worry I understand the Chinese language am here for you)
- The default admin password for hame is “hame” without the quotes
- Hame supports all sim cards worldwide.
- The default service/dial number for Nigeria GSM service providers is *99# you can use this anywhere service number is required to set up an internet profile
DIY Guide on how to Configure HAME 3G Wi-FI router to Your Taste
Interestingly, you can use your hame router out of the box by using it via LAN. Alternatively, you can use it by connecting to its WiFi hotspot by entering the default password which is written on the device.
However, I will advise you to change some values within the hame settings. It is like you having a satellite decoder with only one channel whereas you can watch other channels on the decoder. If you give someone your password, that is the end, the person will continue to have access to your hotspot anytime you switch it on.
This guide will(in sequential order show you how to change your: network mode, wifi password, wifi name, APN, among other things on your hame.
Steps to Configure Hame 3G/4G Wi-Fi Router
- For those who want to use hame via LAN, you will need to connect your hame to your pc via your LAN/ rj45 cable with the sim card of your choice inserted. Next, visit http://192.168.169.1 in your web browser.
- Like I said earlier, you can use any sim card. Make sure your sim has an active data plan.
- once you visit the URL given above, you will be presented with a login page as shown below:(note, I used my android phone browser) Simply enter hame as the admin password.
- Once you are logged in, you will see the following user interface of which you are advised to modify specific values under the Internet settings and wifi settings only. Also, you might need to manually change your APN. is the APN assigned to all glo data bundles and that is why glo rarely browse when you don’t have a data bundle. even if you have 20,000 worth of airtime, glo may not browse. For full details on how to get the manual internet APN settings for your network, please click here. following pictures explain more:
- From the image above, I have logged in successfully to hame dashboard. The second and third pictures show the initial steps to set up the internet profile on hame by default, the Wan connection type is set to “SMART” now this mode has its major disadvantage especially in Africa where we lack good 3g network so the first thing you must do is to change “SMART” to “3G” as shown above after change smart to 3g, click on “DONE”
- Next is the APN setup. this option will not be available if you choose smart as your connection type. the following pictures shows you how to manually edit your APN. Mind you, change the APN parameters to that of your ISP. Noteworthy, dial number is same for almost all network providers Once you are done with these modifications please click on apply and wait till you get a success message as shown below:
- Finally, we need to secure our wi-fi hotspot connection. Under this menu, you can also choose to change the wifi hotspot’s name to anyone of your choice. the following pictures contain the default hame wifi password which is written at the back of the hame(you should also note that this corresponds with the one inside hame wifi settings, you should also choose the appropriate wifi security mode which is “WPA-PSK” then change your “Network Name(SSID)
- The wifi security of hame router was disabled by default so as to grant users first time access to the settings. Now you will have to enable the security mode. Then, change the password from the default to anything not less than 8 characters. you may also change your network name from the default HAME_***_3d12 To your own name or anything else. Make sure you apply, your changes.
- There is a bug I notice with hame. Maybe the bug affects all versions of hame, I can’t tell. Anytime I change a sim card, the settings will reset to default. so please after changing sim try and re-visit the dashboard.