Earlier in the week(13th of October, 2020 to be precise), Apple released 4 new iPhones in one breath. When you add this to the iPhone SE, iPhone 11, and iPhone XR that are still on sale., it simply means there are 4 series of iPhones 12 and 7 different models that you can buy on the Apple official website. Now that we have 7 different models to choose from, the question now is, which should you buy? This article provides you with the answer that bothers on the buying guide for choosing the most suitable iPhone 12 Series
How Apple Has Changed The Game With Their Releases Since 2018
In the past, there was almost no need to “choose” to buy an iPhone. At most, consider whether you want a large screen or a small screen. But from the release of the iPhone XR in 2018 to this moment, Apple’s increasingly refined product strategy has made us begin to make choices in the functional configuration.
This may make the entire product line seem messy, but on the bright side, ordinary users no longer need to spend more money on advanced features that can’t be used twice a year
Now, let’s get back to the business of the day. The how-to guide for choosing the most suitable model of iPhone among the 7 available models. After reading this article, you should have a good idea.
Should You Buy iPhone 11 or iPhone XR?
After the release of the iPhone 12 series, both iPhone 11 and iPhone XR ushered in a price adjustment. Among them, the iPhone 11 dropped from $699 to $599, and the iPhone XR, which has received a price cut several times, is currently priced from $499.
Why You Should or Shouldn’t Buy The iPhone XR in 2020
Let me talk about iPhone XR first. If you don’t plan to change your phone next year or two, then I don’t recommend buying an iPhone XR.
Although the life cycle of the iPhone is significantly longer than that of an Android phone, and iOS support for the iPhone XR can last at least 3 years, this phone has been released since 4 years ago. And to buy the brand new of this for $499 is not a good deal at all.
Who Should Buy The iPhone 11 in 2020?
Is the iPhone 11 still worth buying? It depends on whether you have a strong demand for the new features brought by the iPhone 12. The latter changed the screen material from LCD to OLED, and the display effect is expected to be improved to the naked eye.
Also, the new design and color scheme may not be less attractive to the appearance party; how much actual performance improvement can the A14 bionics bring? It’s not easy to say, but it can at least keep the iPhone 12 from lagging for as long as possible; of course, the most important thing is that the iPhone 12 supports 5G.
But then again, the A13 chip of the iPhone 11 can still be said to be powerful today, and it will not be a problem at all for another 3 years.
As for the many upgrades of the iPhone 12 in the photography (including stronger low-light performance and the ability to shoot Dolby Vision videos) department, the ordinary users may not be particularly concerned.
The most critical point is the price. This year’s iPhone 12 is essentially a price increase. The standard version of the iPhone 12 and iPhone 11 are both 6.1 inches, but the price starts at $799. The iPhone 12 mini with a smaller screen (5.4 inches) has the same price as last year’s iPhone 11.
The price of the iPhone 11 has been reduced on the official website itself, By extension, it can be foreseen that it will have more substantial discounts on third-party platforms in the future. In fact, some notable e-commerce sites like Amazon and eBay have been selling it lesser than the official price.
All in all, the iPhone 11 can be said to be the most cost-effective iPhone at present, and in comparison to considering the existence of iPhone SE, Its use experience is not much worse than the iPhone 12, but the price is significantly lower.
If you don’t need 5G that much, then the lower price of the iPhone 11 should convince you to ignore (or accept) the gap between it and iPhone 12 in performance, camera, and screen.
Here is Why You May Consider Buying The iPhone SE
The iPhone SE, which has just been released for half a year. There is no price cut at this time, and it still starts at $399. We have seen a lot of discussions about this iPhone in the first half of the year. If you can summarize it in one sentence, the iPhone SE is still very cost-effective, but its advantages and disadvantages are very obvious.
The two biggest advantages of the iPhone SE are natural performance and price. This phone uses the same A13 chip as the iPhone 11 series. Although it is no longer a “flagship”, it can still meet all your needs.
In terms of price, the official price of $399 is already low enough, but on the e-commerce platform, you can now buy the 128GB version for less than the price above.
However, the disadvantages of the iPhone SE are also clear at a glance. For one, the screen is small, battery life is not good, and the design is too old (not full screen). Of course, then again, these shortcomings may be nothing compared to its ultra-low price.
In general, if you can accept the iPhone SE’s body design, it is the same as the iPhone 11 as a mobile phone that will allow you to use it for years without getting stuck.
Buying Guide For Choosing The Most Suitable iPhone 12 Series
After talking about these old iPhones, let’s naturally talk about the topic worth discussing today: how to choose one out of the 4 models of iPhone 12.
iPhone 12 Vs iPhone 12 Mini
The main difference between iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini is the screen, the former is 6.1 inches and the latter is 5.4 inches. Fans of small-screen mobile phones will definitely love the iPhone 12 mini because the body size of this phone is smaller than that of the iPhone SE, but the screen size is much larger.
In the current mobile phone market, it may be the only small-screen high-end mobile phone you can buy.
However, the reduction in the size of the fuselage will inevitably bring about a decline in endurance. According to the data given by the official website, the iPhone 12 can play video for up to 17 hours, and the iPhone 12 mini is 15 hours. Considering the newly added 5G networking capabilities, the actual endurance of the latter is somewhat worrisome.
Finally, it is worth mentioning that the iPhone 12 mini is a single-SIM-card phone. For dual-SIM users, please detour.
iPhone 12 Vs iPhone 12 Pro
As for the gap between iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro, it may be larger than last year’s 11 and 11 Pro. Below are some of the distinguishable differences between the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro.
- First of all, although the iPhone 12 and 12 Pro are both OLED panels with the same resolution, the maximum brightness of the iPhone 12 is still lower than that of the 12 Pro (625 vs 800 nits).
- Although the two phones have the same design, the frame of the iPhone 12 is aluminum alloy, and the 12 Pro is stainless steel with a higher texture.
- In terms of taking pictures, the iPhone 12 does not have a telephoto lens. The telephoto lens of the 12 Pro supports 4x optical zoom (2x zoom and 2x zoom).
- In addition, iPhone 12 does not support night portrait mode, nor does it support RAW format photo shooting.
- In terms of video shooting, the difference between the two phones is not big, but the Dolby Vision HDR video shot by the iPhone 12 is only 30fps, and the 12 Pro can reach 60fps.
- Finally, the iPhone 12 Pro is also equipped with the same LIDAR scanner as the 2020 iPad Pro, which not only helps to improve the night photography performance of this phone but also has a lot of room for augmented reality in the future. These are what the iPhone 12 does not have.
As for performance, 5G, battery life, and front camera, the parameters of the iPhone 12 and 12 Pro are exactly the same.
iPhone 12 Pro Max Vs iPhone 12 Pro: Similarities and Differences
Now, let’s talk about the iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max. In addition to the difference in screen size and battery life, the two models also have different camera capabilities this year. Simply put, the iPhone 12 Pro Max’s camera capability is stronger than that of the 11 Pro.
This is because Apple has further upgraded its telephoto lens and increased the size of the main photosensor.
Although the telephoto lens of the iPhone 11 Pro Max is still 12 million pixels, the focal length reaches 65mm, which can achieve up to 2.5x optical zoom (zoom in, 11 Pro is 2x), and 5x optical zoom range (11 Pro is 4x ). In addition, although the aperture of the main camera of the two phones has been increased to f/1.6, the size of the photosensitive element of the iPhone 12 Pro Max has also been increased by 47%, and the pixel size has increased to 1.7 microns.
The low-light shooting ability of the iPhone 12 Pro Max has increased by 87%.
This time, Apple’s newly added differentiation of flagship iPhone models is a good thing and a bad thing. On the bright side, they have further enhanced its camera performance with the larger body size of the iPhone 12 Pro Max, which should be a favorite for photography enthusiasts. With the support of Dolby Vision video and RAW format photos, iPhone 12 Pro Max has raised the ceiling of mobile photography.
But from the user’s point of view, they can’t spend less money to enjoy the strongest camera ability like last year, which may make some people feel uncomfortable-after all, not everyone needs the size of Pro Max Display, or tolerate its heavier body.
You may also like: 19 Universally Acceptable Reasons why iPhones are Better than Android
Summary and Conclusion on Choosing The Most Suitable Among The 7 iPhone Models Available in 2020
- Are you on a low budget?, iPhone SE is still the best choice for you. The long-term support provided by the A13 processor and iOS system alone is worth more than $300.
- If you don’t need 5G and don’t pursue new styles, iPhone 11 is a good and inexpensive choice. It may not have the latest and strongest features on the iPhone 12, but seeing that it is less than $600 on the e-commerce platform, what else do you want?
- Also, if you are a small-screen mobile phone enthusiast and don’t want to endure the old design of iPhone SE, iPhone 12 mini is the best choice for you. Its price of $699 is indeed a lot more expensive than SE, but you can buy the latest iPhone. But it’s a single-card phone, don’t overlook this point.
- If you are not interested in more professional image creation, iPhone 12 is definitely the best new iPhone to buy. It should also be the best choice for most people among the 4 new iPhones. Although the price starting at $799 is essentially a price increase compared to the iPhone 11, the addition of OLED screens and 5G also makes the price increase seem reasonable.
- If you are after the texture and experience of the flagship phone, the iPhone 12 Pro starting at $999 is your first choice; if you have a higher demand for image creation on top of this, then you can only choose from the $1099 iPhone 12 Pro Max.
What do you think of the new iPhone 12? Which one do you plan to choose? Welcome to let us know in the comments section.