This article will discuss in-depth why gaming on game consoles is better than playing video games on PC or mobile phone platforms. Before this, we must familiarize ourselves with “Video games” and all that attaches to them. Game addiction is synonymous with gambling, betting, or drugs because you can quickly get addicted. So, play games sparingly only. By game consoles, I mean gaming platforms such as “handheld game consoles(PS Vita, Nintendo)” and “dedicated game consoles(e.g: Xbox and PS).”
What is a Video Game?
To start with, A video game is an electronic game that involves interaction with a user interface to generate visual feedback on a two- or three-dimensional video display device such as a TV screen, virtual reality headset, or computer monitor. Since the 1980s, video games have become an increasingly important part of the entertainment industry, and whether they are also a form of art is a matter of dispute.
The electronic systems used to play video games are called platforms. Video games are developed and released for one or several platforms and may not be available on others.
Don’t miss the followings:
- 12 Reasons why you may choose to buy a physical Video Game(disc/cartridge) over a Digital Game(Software)
- Integrated vs Dedicated vs Switchable computer GPU, Which is best for you?
- Sony re-enacted the original PlayStation game console: full of emotions
- Are high-end mobile phone vision killers? What are the advantages and disadvantages of OLED and LCD screens?
Here are the Top Benefits of Playing Video Games
Playing video games encompasses so many benefits at the same time. So much, in fact, that I can’t think of another medium on the same level. Here are some of the many things that games offer concerning their genre or playstyle:
- Entertainment – people generally play games because they’re entertaining—an excellent way to unwind.
- Critical thinking skills – puzzle games, real-time strategy; problems are presented interactively, and players must work their way through them
- Teamwork and Social skills – local multiplayer games strengthen the bonds between people (or can tear them apart if it’s competitive). Online games provide limitless, borderless social interaction with friends, family, or strangers. There’s something about online gaming that can’t be compared to anything else.
- Moving experiences – Playing an utterly fantastic game feels like being part of a more significant movement than yourself. This brings me to the next point…
- A sense of community and socialization – As far as I know, gamers have and always will be able to relate to one another. It forms a standard bridge where people can relate due to their shared experiences at possibly wholly different times and places. Look at the myriad of game discussions, forums, fansites, etc.
- Immersion – While you could argue that other forms of entertainment immerse you in their stories. There’s nothing (virtual) quite like experiencing it for yourself. Video games transport you into their world, where you exist while you’re playing.
Video gaming allows letting Gamers know About our ancestors or Refresh Our History in front of Youth.
Playing games can earn you money if you enter a gaming competition.
Some peoples Say that It reduces mental stress and makes them Chill.
Video Games help children who are ill or have injuries. Absorption in a game distracts the mind from pain and discomfort. Many hospitals encourage children and others to undergo painful treatments to play games.
It has also been medically proven that playing games could help children with attention deficit disorders.
Many medical departments are using computer games as a form of physiotherapy. Games help people who are recovering from physical injuries gain motor skills.
In addition, video games and computer games are known to improve hand-eye coordination.
Also, games induce decision-making and teach players to think on their feet.
Suffice it to say games can enhance creativity and inculcate a taste for graphics, design, and technology.
Especially relevant, many games can improve language and math skills as players have to move at a great speed along with the game’s heroes.
Finally, games teach players problem-solving, motivation, and cognitive skills. Most games inspire players to strive and reach more difficult levels presenting challenges at each stage.
The Dangers of getting addicted to Playing Video Games
It doesn’t matter whether you are playing the game solo, with your friends, or online. Spending more than 5 hours on video games daily can be called addiction. If you are in such a state already, you need to cut down on time spent playing video games for the following reasons:
1. Psychological problems that can arise from addiction to video games
Psychological conditions can lead to addiction to games. Unfortunately, game addiction doesn’t solve the issues in the long run. Some people dealing with an addiction to video games may also struggle with issues such as depression, low self-esteem, high-stress levels, and shyness / social anxiety. If they recognize the problems that excessive gaming is causing yet cannot control it, they may also experience feelings of shame, guilt, or a sense of powerlessness.
2. Physical and Health Problems as it Relates to Game Addiction
If one’s weekly activities primarily consist of playing video games, health (and occasionally personal hygiene) may be neglected. People with an addiction to video games may no longer participate in previously enjoyed physical activities or exercise. Gamers may find it challenging to have their bath. Also, they may develop poor sleeping habits and often choose unhealthy foods that are convenient to eat while gaming.
Other health/medical problems that can arise from gaming include:
- Headaches as a result of over-exposure to dangerous rays from the TV screen
- Computer Eye Strain
3. Family Bond Suffers When you have Game Addiction
An addiction to video games can cause problems within the family. For example, parents of teenagers addicted to video games may tolerate excessive gaming for a while. Still, if their child shows no signs of controlling his gaming, they will eventually demand change. The teen may become angry at his parents for “interfering” in his life and claim it is “none of your business”. Parents with a child addicted to video games often have daily arguments about time limits on games and the neglect of other responsibilities.
4. Financial Implications of Addition to Video Games
Even for players who are not addicted, video games can be a very expensive form of entertainment. It is very easy to spend a huge amount of money on computer upgrades, new gaming consoles, subscriptions to online services, newly released games, and the latest expansion packs.
Occasionally, people with an addiction to video games may be fired due to poor performance on the job (for example, prioritizing gaming over job responsibilities or playing games while at work)
5. Video Game addiction and its effect on School/University Performances
Gaming and academic success are two divides of different extremes. Academic success is often one of the most obvious causalities of video game addiction. Children, teens, and university students who spend all their free time playing video games will almost certainly see their grades deteriorate.
6. Interpersonal Impact
Over time, a person overplaying video games may become irritating to people around him. This happens as someone addicted to video games spends more and more hours in front of a computer or television screen, and time spent with other people (friends and family) necessarily decreases.
Important Warning: I would Suggest Gamers Not to play Games continuously for more than 3 to 4 hours. Otherwise, it can make the brain works slowly, as in real-time.
Various Platforms/devices on which you can Play Video Games
As mentioned earlier, a video game on its own is application software. Every computer software depends on the corresponding hardware to function. When you want to buy a video game disc, you will be asked which platform? is it for handheld, consoles, or a Pc? In summary, a video game needs suitable/compatible hardware to run. Below are some of the popular video game platforms. We have just three major gaming platforms today.
Personal Computers as a Platform for playing Video Games
When it comes to convenience, your personal computer is one of the most convenient types of video game platforms. A PC can be a desktop PC or Laptop. If you want to enjoy playing video games on your computer, your computer must have a particular hardware configuration that helps you load up and run these games. We have general computers and gaming computers. Gaming computers are designed with special hardware in the CPU, GPU, and hard disk departments.
A welcome development with the PC(especially modern laptops is that you can connect it to big TV screens with the help of cables like HDMI or VGA cables that the TV supports.
Video Game Consoles Platforms
This is the direction we are heading in today’s article. Video game consoles are devices that are specially designed to play video games. They usually come with input devices such as a joystick or controllers and the central unit that does all the processing work. They usually are connected to TV screens to see the visual output of the consoles.
There are several types of consoles available. The popular ones are The Xbox, The Wii, and the PlayStations. There are also handheld consoles such as Nintendo Switch, Nvidia Shield, and PSP Vita. These handheld consoles are light in size and feature their display unit. Therefore, video game consoles are the best devices for playing video games. You will soon learn why.
Mobile Phone Gaming Platforms
The rise of mobile devices introduced mobile gaming to the scene. Mobile games are played on cell phone devices or handheld tablets. These two are the leading platforms for playing mobile games. Mobile games are generally built for the operating system that the phones have. Today the popular ones are Android Mobile Operating System and iOS for iPhones.
Mobile phones are currently the most popular platform for playing video games without any equivocation. There is Little wonder thousands of games are available on the mobile platform. Games are available for free or for a fee. They can be simple or even be filled with complicated high graphics.
14 Reasons Why Gaming on Game Consoles is Better Than Gaming on Other Platforms
Now that we have already learned one or two things about the benefits, dangers, and various video game platforms. The next thing on the agenda is the subject matter of this discussion: “Reasons why gaming on game consoles is better than gaming on other game platforms such as PC and mobile.” To help us with this, we must highlight the comparative advantages of game consoles over other game platforms.
Also, within this post’s context, dedicated game consoles and handhelds would be grouped as one, while PC gaming and mobile game will represent the other category.
1. Game consoles have better graphical rendering/intensity than PC or mobile
When it comes to graphical intensity, there is no comparison between gaming consoles and other platforms. Yes, I know that we have computers that are very powerful and dedicated to gaming. But have you tried to play the same title on a console and a pc? Something would seem off. Xbox One X is currently the most powerful game console on earth. Ironically, it was developed by Microsoft(the maker of Windows OS). Game lovers can’t compare games on the Xbox with that on the PC. They are close, but not the same or never would be.
Similarly, Handheld game consoles are over and above their mobile phone counterparts. The gameplay is beyond that of mobile. Yes, it is a close one on iOS, but can you compare gaming on Android or iOS with gaming on the best handheld game console, the Nintendo Switch? Consequently, game consoles win the department of graphics and display. You may argue this, but the majority agree that the representations of games on a console are better than that of other platforms.
2. When you play your game on a console, you see things the way the game developer wants you to see them: There is no denying that the major game consoles receive the games before any other platforms. Most games are better optimized for game consoles because the developer has them as the top priority when designing them. We have minimal lags and bugs.
3. Video game addiction can be controlled more efficiently on a game console
A big problem with video games is addiction. However, you can easily control game addiction in a child that is used to a game console compared to one that plays the game on a PC. The reasons for this are:
- A smartphone is considered the owner’s personal property, meaning when your child is used to playing games on the phone, you may be violating his or her rights by trying to pry into what he is doing at all times. On the contrary, a handheld game console is meant for games only. You can always conclude with 99% accuracy that when your children/wards are busy with a console, they are gaming,
- Similarly, for a personal computer. A PC is a multipurpose machine; gaming on a PC can foster stronger addiction unnoticed, as you won’t know when your teen has abandoned other meaningful tasks in favor of games on his/her PC.
4. Pirated games are more rampant on PC and Mobile
Ever wonder why game developers prefer channeling all their energy into the production of games for consoles? The most meaningful reason is that games for PC and mobile phones can easily be hacked. As for consoles, up until today, there is no public hack for PS4, PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Xbox One s, Xbox One x, PS Vita and Nintendo Switch. Do you now see why gaming on game consoles is better?
5. Length of gameplay can be cut down easily on game consoles compared to other platforms
This can be achieved in two ways: For one, there are other things you may be doing in the background which can interfere with your gameplay on PC or Mobile phones. This serves as a natural interference in your gameplay on mobile and PC. Secondly, playing games prevents every PC or mobile game from running its battery down.
Similarly, the fact that you can’t play without a TV on your dedicated game console considerably reduces your playtime. I mean, other members of the household will want to use the TV for other things. The exception to this is when you live alone or own a tv of your own.
6. You can’t play by chance or Accident on any Game Console
Another reason gaming on game consoles is better is that you can’t play on them by chance. When you power on your PlayStation or Xbox, you know what you are doing. The same is not true of PC gaming. You can start by sending an email on your PC and end up running your battery down and playing games.
Similarly, picking up your PSP, PS Vita Shield, Nintendo Switch, or similar handheld consoles means you are prepared and ready for gaming. On the contrary, you can use your phone for various things before stumbling upon games.
7. Your PC’s or Mobile phone hardware can deteriorate faster if you use them for excessive video gaming
Honestly, this is the reason why I stopped playing games on my phone and PC. I occasionally play an hour or two on my laptop, but I play primarily on consoles. If you are not careful, you will burn out your computer’s logic board by installing and running a game beyond its specifications. You can quickly kill your computer’s CPU or GPU by running games that do not align with your system spec. Besides, even when you are running compatible games, you can make your hard disk fail fasters.
As for mobile vs. handheld consoles, some games are buggy and can cause problems for your phone since you install them as hardware. By contrast, your handheld uses a disc or cartridge, which means the worst-case scenario is for you to eject the disc when problems shoot. In a nutshell, games not compatible with a game console can hardly ever be played on them. This restriction is a lifesaver and a reason to stop using your mobile phone or PC as a game console. The exception is if you have a dedicated PC for gaming that you don’t use for other regular computing.
8. Virus attacks, identity theft, and hacking are easy to come by when playing a game on a PC or Mobile
Only your carelessness or failure to secure your account can make any hacker hack your game console accounts. Unfortunately, many things can cause problems for you when playing games on a PC or mobile. For one, if you download a pirated copy of a pc or mobile game, you can lose a lot and gain nothing. First, you can download a virus, malware, or adware or even get hacked. To compound your pain, you can’t seek redress since you have used the game illegally. When you play on a console, you have little to worry about. Even if you get hacked, you only compromise that specific account and your balance(which can even be recovered).
9. Game consoles are less convenient to move around, which is a blessing in disguise
We all know how big a PS4 Pro or Xbox game console is. Also, the PS Vita and Nintendo Switch are bigger than any regular smartphone. In addition, these gadgets are heavier. All these specifications call for controlled gameplay for users. Unlike your phone, you can’t just carry your console everywhere you go. If you enjoy playing on a console alone, all you need to do to put a check on your addition is to go places without them. Can this be said of your PC or mobile phone?
10. Play with a physical joystick or controller is more convenient than
One of the huge benefits of playing your games on a game console platform is that they come with physical controllers out of the box. I am a hater of virtual buttons. I love to feel what I am pressing so I won’t accidentally press the wrong button. All the handheld game consoles I know also come with their built-in joystick. Conversely, I have yet to see a PC sold with an Xbox controller. Mobile phones are also not sold with one just yet.
11. Accidents are more likely to happen to your PC or phone when you are gaming
You can accidentally drop your phone or break your Laptop’s screen when you are carried away with your gaming. Handheld consoles are built to be more durable and with better shock resistance. If you keep dropping your phone, you will end up damaging it and losing all your data, including your games.
12. Faster support, updates, and upgrades for games on consoles compared to PC
Developers released patches, bug fixes, and updates faster for games for a game console.s I don’t blame them as they get better value for their money designing for game consoles.
13. Most PC is not designed for the game, same as most phones are not designed to play just any game
A game console is so-called because all that it’s good at doing is playing games. Can you say the same about most computers or phones? Why not be the specialist games and acquire a game console for your gaming instead of jeopardizing the longevity of your PC or Phone?
14. Games Consoles are Consider to Be Less Staineous on Your Eyes
For your eyes, playing games on your console may be the better evil as your TV can filter out more blue light than your PC. Also, the lighting settings on most handheld consoles are in such a way that it is milder on the eyes when compared to phones.
Conclusion & Recommendation
This article was written to advise anyone who can afford a game console to buy them and play video games on them instead of doing so on your PC or mobile. Now, let me break down the whole article for easier understanding.
- You need the latest and most influential game consoles if you are a heavy gamer. I mean both dedicated and handheld.
- Secondly, we will all agree that even when we have our game consoles, we can’t still do without our PC and phones. I mean, there are things your pc and phone can do that your consoles can’t.
- You may still need to play games on your phone or PC even when you have your dedicated consoles in emergencies. For example, when you are not with your consoles
- Generally, you need to play less on mobile or pc if you have a console.
- As advice, play safe and don’t get addicted to video games regardless of the platforms.
- Try and wear blue light-filtering computer gaming glasses before you play games.
List of the Best Game Consoles in 2019
According to the top 10 reviews, in order of priority, here is the list of the best game consoles in 2019
- The overall best and the most powerful game console of 2019 is Microsoft Xbox One X
- PlayStation 4 Pro
- Nintendo Switch
- PlayStation Vita
Types and List of Game Consoles
Wikipedia listed some types of video consoles according to their generation.
This might Also Interest you: XBOX Games That Can Be Played On Samsung TV Directly From June 2022