This post was last updated on April 24th, 2018 at 02:20 pm
This article is not published to backlash Samsung or criticize the company. I am still a Samsung fanboy and I am not ready to port yet. That notwithstanding, over the years, there have been cases of one problem or the other with Samsung flagship(To be fair, it happens to other top manufacturers as well) Apple had her “deadgrip and bendgate” issues. Pixel has its own. There is a worrisome problem being experienced by some users of galaxy s9/S0+. We call it Fix Samsung galaxy s9/s9+ (Exynos) battery draining problem.
First off, battery drain on any smartphones can be defined as a situation whereby your battery is draining faster than expected. In other words, your battery is not living up to factory specifications. Also noteworthy, many factors affect the battery endurance of any phone. In most cases, it has to do with the consumers’ usage. However, there have been reports that s9/s9+ Exynos variant is draining the battery faster than its Snapdragon counterpart. In this post, we will provide some solution to the issue pending when Samsung roll an update to fix this. Yes, it is a software bug.
If your screen-on-time(screen usage) is lower than 5hours, then something is wrong. For emphasis, Samsung galaxy s9 and s9 plus has two variants. The US variant which is the Snapdragon model and the global Exynos variant.There might be a fix, but unfortunately, Samsung isn’t admitting there is a problem due to PR measures. We just have to find a way around this ourselves as s9+ offers some of the best specs in the market for now.
Unfortunately, the only solution, for now, is for you to tweak the phone on other to get more battery life from it. To start with, I will quickly summarise factors responses for battery drain in your s9/s9+ phone.
Fix Samsung galaxy s9/s9+ (Exynos) battery draining: What are the causes of battery drain on the galaxy s9 and s9+
There are a lot of reasons why your Samsung galaxy s9 and s9 plus can be draining fast. Not every model produced has this issue and not every user experiencing this problem is experiencing same due to factory faults. You can experience battery draining issues for the following reasons:
- Users activities and usage: before you can Fix Samsung galaxy s9/s9+ (Exynos) battery draining problem, you need to know that you may be the cause. If you rock your screen brightness up to the maximum, or you increase your screen timeout, or you play music through your phone’s speakers at the highest volume, you will notice a rapid drop in your battery. Similarly, if you install a suspicious app from 3rd party sources or you give full permissions to resource-hungry apps like facebook, you may have issues. Finally, if you game aggressively, or you stream the highest quality videos nonstop, you are in.
- Unstable network: If your LTE or 3G network is weak or unstable, it will have an impact on your battery. Also, if your WifI has low reception, your phone battery will suffer.
- Ambient temperature: If you are operating your phone inside the hot sun or you leave in a hot environment like most countries in Africa, you should expect a fast draining s9/s9+
- Finally, the protective case you are using on your phone might just be the culprit. Now let us head over to the troubleshooting.
- Android system and your Display(screen) are the major drainers of your s9/s9+ battery
Fix Samsung galaxy s9/s9+ (Exynos) battery draining: definition of the problem and troubleshooting
Especially relevant: Popular Android Battery destroying Apps and how to stop them automatically
With some users of the s9 and s9+, the battery is poor both in terms of standby when idle and also in use where for even basic stuff like surfing on my short commute sees it drop pretty rapidly. The issue is so frustrating that some users are considering returning the device.
If in your case of heavy usage screen on time for you is between me is 5-6 hours, then this is a normal(though you can improve it). However, when the phone is in idle mode, it should not be draining more than expected. In addition, if you are getting below 4 hours of SOT, then you should read on.
As it stands, the s9/s9+ processor is having exponentially higher power consumption on a single core task that asks it to run at more than 2.3Ghz (maxes out at 2.7Ghz single core speed).This isn’t TOO MUCH of an issue considering the new CPU is 30% faster than the S8’s so you’ll basically get S8 performance plus the 30% more battery efficient at speeds below 2.3Ghz.
Troubleshooting causes of battery drain on galaxy s9 and s9+
Overheating and battery draining goes hand in hand. It is in fact almost impossible that your s9/s9+ is overheating and not draining your battery. You must prevent overheating of your s9/s9+ before you can successfully be reducing the speed at which your battery drains. The causes above can also
- Firstly, you need to start with a clean sheet. Do a manual backup of your device and do a factory reset of the phone. Make sure after the reset(hard reset via recovery mode preferably), you use your phone for a couple of hours before installing any application. If your phone’s battery is stable and consistent after the reset, then you should know that some applications you installed are the culprit.
- Now that you are in the know that some applications that you were using on the phone caused the battery drain on your own phone. Make sure you install new applications one after the other and monitor your phone behaviour.
- Importantly, install any of the following battery monitoring applications from google play store: System panel(Paid), Gsam battery monitor, BetterBatteryStats(paid) or AIDA64. These apps are very good to monitor your battery’s health, your phone’s temperature and most importantly, the apps that are consuming more CPU than usual.
Please continue reading the article on the next page. There lies the solution to the problem>>