It is going to be very difficult for any internet resource person to do without a Google account(Gmail account). I for one, have at least four accounts from different email platforms. However, I can’t escape registering a Gmail account at least for the sake of my Android phone, Gdrive, and some other Google-owned accounts. Unfortunately, it is such a pain to try to enable, register or activate certain things online when you are residing in Nigeria. Such is the case with the extreme use of 2-factor authentication which Google calls 2-Step Verification. In today’s post, I will give you a tip that will help you Fix the Google 2-Step Verification error message while trying to enable 2-step verification from Nigeria.
The other day, my fiance’s Gmail was hacked and I went through hell recovering it for her. The hacker practically changes the recovery email, security questions, and phone number. It was through share luck that I recovered that account and that made me determined to enable the”2-step verification features on all my Google accounts” I met a stumbling block during the process but I was able to overcome it and that is why I will be sharing the that I used to enable the feature on my google account and I am a Nigerian residing in Nigeria. What is more, I did this without even using a VPN.
What is 2-Step Verificatio/2-Factor Authentication?
Two Factor Authentication, also known as 2FA, is an identity verification process that requires the access-requesting party (can be a person, software, or machine) to produce to the authenticating party two identifiers – two factors – that are linked to its identity, instead of the typical single identifier – usually a password – required by default in many systems.
Basically, 2FA is a security feature that allows you as a user, double authenticate your login to any platform, by using a unique code received via a message sent to your email or your phone number, to verify your login process. Several service providers like Google, Facebook, Twitter, Amazon, and a host of others, strongly recommend that you secure your account using 2FA. You can checklists of websites that support 2FA at https://twofactorauth.org/.
- How to use your Nigerian ATM/credit card to pay for items/App on the Google play store
- 4 Ways to Reveal Wi-Fi Passwords to the Network you are Connected to Using Your Android Phone-[No-root]
- Permanent Solution to Invalid Server Certificate on Google Chrome while Visiting SSL Sites(on Win 8, Win 7 64 bits)
Why do I Need to Enable 2-Step Verification on my Google Account?
- The first and foremost reason why you need to activate 2FA is that it adds an extra layer of protection to your account. It makes signing into your account require something you have (like your phone) as well as something you know (your password). As a word of caution, I strongly advise you to use a home other than the one that you have an account on.
- In addition, 2-steps verification saves you the stress of generating a very difficult and complicated password for your Google account. Mind you, you can easily forget a difficult-to-remember password. To mitigate this, some people write and keep their passwords somewhere. I will say this is a bad idea as it can eventually fall into the wrong hands. Hence the real solution is for you to activate 2FA on your Google account.
- When a 2-Step verification is enabled on your account, you will not enter a panic mood when Google sends you the dreaded “suspicious login attempt”. Sadly, with reports that are not properly protected, once you receive that message, it is almost too late unless you act promptly. By activating 2FA, you only need to go block the intruder’s future access and possibly change your password.
- Finally, 2-step verification is critical for securing your account just in case your login credentials get leaked or fall into the wrong hands. I mean your Google account is not only associated with other Google products like Gmail, Adsense, etc. Still, it is linked to your login credentials on other websites either via email address + password combo or OAuth (login/signup using your Google account). The repercussion of this is that anybody who owns your email account owns a huge chunk of your online identity. Can somebody say “Identity Theft!”
Why Can’t I Activate/Enable 2-Step Verification on my Google Account from Nigeria?
I sincerely don’t know why Nigerians are denied access to this useful tool. Maybe it is due to fraud concerns I wouldn’t know. All I can say is that as long as you are accessing your Google account with a Nigerian IP address or from Nigeria, you can’t enable 2-step verification in a straightforward fashion.
If you attempt to activate this feature from your account “sign in & security” settings, you will receive this error message “Invalid number, try again” once you enter your Nigerian number. Luckily, I am able to get past this stage and successfully Fix the Google 2-Step Verification error from Nigeria. In the section below, I will share how I did it. Hopefully, Google or our network providers would find a way around this someday.
How to Fix Google 2-Step Verification Invalid number, try again Error Message With a Nigerian Number
The only requirement to getting past Google account 2-step verification when you are attempting to enable it with a Nigerian phone number is to get a non-Nigerian phone number, preferably a USA number. This number must be able to make and receive voice calls and text messages. Luckily, you can get a working USA phone number free of charge.
There are various services that offer USA phone numbers for free. Unfortunately, the free ones are not reliable. Some charge a hefty fee while others are reasonably priced. I currently use TalkU and it charges a very reasonable amount for you to retain your USA number. Besides, you can even win free credit from them and use it to pay for your $4.4 per year subscription fees. This service is what I used to successfully activate my google 2-step verification from Nigeria. Now, let me show you the steps.
- First off, you need to get a stable/reliable VoIP. I strongly recommend google voice number. if you need help getting one, I can help with a token and the number will be yours for life. The most important things are that such a number must be able to receive calls and SMS.
- After having your USA/Canada/Uk number, you can now visit the sign in & security” dashboard of your Google account. To do this quickly, click on this link google 2-Step verification landing page
- Next, Select “2-Step Verification” under “Password & sign-in method.”
- At this stage, Google may ask you to enter your password and sign in again.
- Now click on the “Get Started” Icon.
- You will be prompted to enter your phone number. Please don’t enter your Nigeria phone number here. Instead, enter your USA phone number. I mean the one you acquired from TalkU earlier. See the image below for clarifications.
- Immediately you click on “Send” you should receive a text or call with your code. Enter just the numbers, without the “G-” prefix, and click “Next.” See the image below:
- Once you have entered the verification code, click “NEXT” as shown above.
- Hurray, it worked. You can now click on”TURN ON” to complete the Google accounts 2-Step activation process from Nigeria.
- In addition, Google will send you an email to notify you of the successful activation of the feature. I received my email immediately.
Recommendation & Conclusion
Finally, we have come to the end of this short tutorial on how you can enable your Google 2-step from Nigeria. I call it how you can Fix Google 2-Step Verification invalid number error message. I would advise everyone reading this to as a matter of necessity enable this feature. You can’t go wrong with this. Sadly, a lot can go wrong if you allow the bad guys to hack your Google account before you do this. Thanks for reading and see you in the next article.