This post was most recently updated on May 15th, 2018
You have every need or right to panic if your DStv’s decoder suddenly starts throwing up smart card errors out of the blues. A lot of things start creeping into your mind such as: Am I going to have to buy another decoder altogether?, Would I need to buy just another smart card? Is my subscription wasted?. How long will the fix last if I am to take this decoder to DStv office?. I am happy to tell you that I have had the very worst of DStv decoder smart card errors. I went out of my way to fix the one I encountered recently. This guide will teach you how to fix DStv faulty Smartcard errors.
You will be able to fix DStv faulty smartcard errors such as “E04-4(Please insert the Smartcard), E05 and E06-4(The Smartcard is either faulty or has been inserted upside down. If it is faulty, please take it to the nearest…..Agent)
What constitutes a Decoder’s Smartcard fault and error?
As you must have noticed, many Pay-TV subscribers are gradually introducing cardless decoders. Your Deocer’s Smartcard works like your sim card, it is subject to damage from abuse or mishandling.
Using the simplest of definitions, a Smartcard can be said to be faulty when the decoder to which it has been paired/matched suddenly fails to recognize the Smartcard. You will know that there is a problem with your decoder’s Smartcard when your decoder starts throwing up error codes on your television screen. In the case of DStv multichoice decoders, you get errors and the accompanying message such as this: “E04-4(Please insert the Smartcard) and E06-4(The Smartcard is either faulty or has been inserted upside down. If it is faulty, please take it to the nearest…..Agent).
Especially relevant: How to solve DStv installation wizard and booting errors
What causes a decoder Smartcard error?
Although i am going to be using a DStv decoder has my case study, This fix can be applied to any decoder using a Smartcard to decrypt its contents. Before we discuss how to fix DStv faulty Smartcard errors, Let us first determine the causes of this error.
Causes of Smartcards error codes
- Normal wear can cause Smartcard problems.
- Make sure you place your decoder on a level ground or piece of furniture. Prevent it from slanting. Also, make sure it is securely positioned.
- Don’t shake your decoder while it is on and working. Please avoid shaking or moving around your decoder while it is on with its smart card inserted. If you do, you will most likely have a Smartcard error.
- Clean your decoder and its environment as frequent as possible. Dust can also cause a faulty Smartcard. It can accumulate on the golden chip on the card and cause it to lose connection
- Also, avoid removing your Smartcard from your decoder for whatever reasons. If you form such habit, you will soon damage your Smartcard.
- If you must travel with your decoder, please kindly remove the smart card and wrap it up with a very clean cloth. Also, make sure you cover up the entrance to of the smart card on your decoder. The reason is that you may not control the movement while you are travelling. Good for you if you are travelling by road in Nigeria. Your decoder and every item that is not secure in your vehicle will dance around uncontrollably. This will cause a displaced Smartcard eventually.
- Needless to say that your decoder is not water resistant. Avoid moisture from accumulating inside your device. Also, do not submerge it.
- Pease, do not bend your smartcard
- Als, make sure your kids’ don’t play with your decoder.
- Furthermore, try as much as you can not to allow your decoder fall off from any height whatsoever.
- Finally, avoid placing your smartcard where you have flames or very hot temperature.
Fix DStv faulty Smartcard errors codes without visiting any DStv office
We have two major errors when something is wrong with your smartcard. The first is “E04-4″. This error is accompanied by a message as follows: Please insert the Smartcard. The second error code is “E06-4″ with the following accompany message “The Smartcard is either faulty or has been inserted upside down. If it is faulty, please take it to the nearest…..Agent”. For the sake of clarity, I have replicated the two errors in the pictures below.
fix DStv faulty Smartcard errors-1
You can try the followings to get your problematic smartcard to work again.
- Firstly, make sure you have inserted the card correctly. To determine this, remove the card and insert it ensuring the chip is facing downwards and the arrows on the back of the card facing the decoder.
- Simply remove and re-insert it and make sure you lock it in properly.
- Use a soft clean and dry cloth to clean the golden chip on the Smartcard.
- If the above also doesn’t, work, blow a compressed air into the CA slot. I mean blow air into the Smartcard slot for you to isolate the dust therein.
- Slightly bend the card outward towards the chip. please use decorum while doing this as the card must not appear as being bent. Also, if you don’t do this properly, you could break it.
- Let’s assume the above fails to solve the issue, it is time for you to do a hard reboot of the decoder. To do this, remove every accessory attached to the decoder including the lnb cable, HDMI cable and AUX. Lastly, remove the power cord and wait for around 5 minutes. Return every to position apart from the LNB cable, once the decoder has boot fully, plugin in the LNB/coaxial cable and see what appears. You should see an I07-4 error this time around. This very message is telling you to hold while the system repairs your Smartcard. IT usually last for less than 1 min.
fix DStv faulty Smartcard errors: The last trick when others fail
This trick is a kind of invention. When others failed me for the first time. I guess, the card is gradually wearing out due to age, abuses and normal usage. I applied the tricked that has worked for me when any of my sim cards begin to act up.
- Get a transparent tape plus a paper or get a paper tape without a paper. You should not use a paper tape with a sheet of paper.
- Remove the Smartcard, then apply two layers of the paper tape at the back of the card. Ensure you only apply the at the portion that falls behind the Smartcard chip. Do not apply this to the entire Smartcard. Also, make sure that no part the tap extent to the other side of the Smartcard.
- Alternatively, if you are using a transparent tape and a sheet of paper like me, use a light writing paper. Make sure you fold it once, then fasten it to the back of the Smartcard with the help of the transparent tape.
- Finally, clean your Smartcard once again and insert it. By now you must see “decoder is checking the Smartcard and current viewing status. Please wait…” message. This means you are on track. Wait a little more time you channels will start showing.
fix DStv faulty Smartcard errors: The last resort
Except in the event that you have broken into pieces your smartcard, the above trick will work for you. Per adventure, you still can’t fi this with all said and done, it is time to take it to DStv authorised dealer for a swap or replacements. In an extreme case, you may need to pay in full for another or add a little money to get a swap. It is very imported you handle all your electronic gadgets with utmost care. You will be better off doing so.