This post was last updated on May 29th, 2020 at 10:11 am
Like with every electronic device, you are bound to encounter a software bug on your DStv decoder at one point in time or the other. I always advise anyone who wishes to buy a satellite product to buy the same from a professional installer and dealer. Today, I will be walking you through how to Fix DStv decoders Soft-brick problems. You can call this how to hard reset/factory reset a DStv decoder using a button combination. This method comes handy when you can’t access your decoder’s menu due to software blimp
If you buy it from just a mega dealer or marketer(no insult meant) such person will be more concerned with sales than with offering troubleshooting guides. Many dealers don’t care to know most problems-solving fixes applicable to the devices they sell.
Especially relevant to this topic:
- How to combine 3 DStv decoder for Xtraview under one subscription
- DStv & GOtv Mega Promo for all: DStv and GOtv Stay Connected or Reconnect
Fix DStv Decoders Soft-brick Problems: How to revive/fix a DStv Decoder That is Unable to Load/Boot
Definition of the problem
This problem occurs when a DStv decoder that is in use and with an active subscription simply refuses to boot. I mean when you switch on your decoder, it loads till eternity without entering the menu. Now, before you hard reset this device, first try the simplest troubleshooting as follows:
- Unplug the power cord from the decoder for at least 10 minutes.
- Disconnect every external input devices such as USB drives and the smart card.
- Now reconnect only the power cable and see if your decoder boots fully this time around. If it still fails, please proceed to method 2 below.
If the first method above fails, then this must work otherwise, you may have to visit DStv office. All other things being equal, this method will solve your DStv decoder booting problem.
I will advise you to use the buttons on your decoder for this. Below are the steps.
- First off, unplug the power cord completely.
- Next without plugging back the cable, press and hold the P+(P plus) button on your decoder.
- Now, with your other hand, plugin your the decoder’s power cable while you continue pressing and holding the P+ button.
- Monitor the progress on your TV screen and immediately you see the message “CODE”( You will see this on the top right corner), let go of the P+ button.
- Almost immediately after releasing the P+ button, press the following buttons in the sequence/order: P-,P+,P+,P-(-++-).
- Your DStv HD decoder should now boot up properly on the next restart.
If the two methods above fail, then you will have no choice but to take your decoder to their office. However, make sure you follow the process judiciously.
How to Fix a DStv Decoder that Refuses to Scan or one that is Stuck on the “installation wizard” page when Powered on
If you have something like what is in the picture below or your decoder fails to scan any channels upon startup, then this might help. What I am saying is that your decoder is not new, and it has been working previously without any issues.
Suddenly, you switch it on and you are greeted with the installation wizard as if you are trying to activate a new decoder. By comparison, yours won’t even scan any channels. If you have either of the above-mentioned problems, please follow the methods below to fix your decoder without visiting DStv office
Method 1 to Fix Frozen/Stuck DStv Installation Wizard Window
In most cases, your decoder will refuse to display any channels if your coaxial cable is unconnected to the decoder. Also, if the cable is broken or the LNB is faulty, you will have problems getting channels. Finally, if your DiSEqC switch is history, you can also have this problem. However, for all the problems listed above, your DStv decoder will display the E48(bad signal error). Please take note of this. However, if yours is not having such an error code. Then the next method will fix it for you. Read more on how to fix decoders installation errors here.
Just like that of loading problems, you can solve DStv decoder installation wizard error and channels scanning problems by factory resetting your decoder using the P+ and P- buttons.
- Power off your decoder
- press and hold the p+ button
- While still holding that button steadily, switch on your decoder
- lookout for the word “CODE” on your TV and once you see it, release the P+ button
- After releasing the P+ button, press -++- in quick succession and your decoder will be able to scan once again. It will also be ready to complete the installation wizard successfully.