This post was most recently updated on October 12th, 2018
- Introduction to Hellobox Smart S2: A device that can be used to Enjoy Satellite TV on Your Android via DVBPlayer
- [Review & TUT] Hellobox B1-Bluetooth Satellite Finder-Spec sheet, config & where to buy
What this Article will cover about HelloBox Smart S2
- What is inside the box of HelloBox S2?
- Why should you choose HelloBox Smart S2?
- Differences between HelloBox S2 and HelloBox B1
- Connect HelloBox Smart S2 to Android via with video
- How to upgrade HelloBox Smart S2 firmware
- Other notable feature supported by HellobOX s2
- Fix any connection problems associated with HelloBox S2 DVBPlayer
- Where to buy HelloBox Smart S2 as an individual or for resell
HelloBox Smart S2 device unboxing
There are no much of a surprise in the size of the box that house HelloBox Smart S2 DVBPlayer. This is especially so if you already own a hellobox B1. Inside the small black box is the following accessories:
- HelloBox Smart S2 which save for the colour is identical to hellobox B1
- A5V 2.4A Power USB adapter that is used to power the device. You can also power the box with a power bank.
- 1x Ethernet adapter in case you wouldn’t be using a Wi-Fi connection
- Finally, a micro USB cable that would be used to connect the device to the power source.
I have created a short video of all of this, take your time to watch it.
Why should you consider HelloBox Smart S2?
Truly, HelloBox Smart S2 is an innovation per excellence. It can practically replace FTA standalone decoder. HelloBox Smart S2 is the timely response to the criticism levelled against B1 as a SatFinder incapable of displaying images from channels tracked. With the new HelloBox Smart S2, you don’t need a native decoder. Below are some of the reason why you may consider buying HelloBox Smart S2 even if you already own the B1. HelloBox Smart S2 does the job of both a DVBFinder and a DVB satellite TV player
Advantages of using hellobox over the standard decoder
- Portability: the entire shape and size of HelloBox S2 is smaller than half the size of an adult’s palm. This means it has a very high degree of portability.
- Secondly, Hellobox s2 is mobile. You don’t need to carry any big bag around as you would with a standard sat-finder of your decoder. You can even slide this into your pocket. you can carry you scrambled or FTA channels around in your pocket as long as a dish is available in your destination.
- Furthermore, just like a regular decoder, you can test all channels in SD or HD after tracking.
- Improved speed and stability in all department. The load and response time is faster than that of many decoders. This can even further be improved if you use a high-end Android.
- Also, you can use it without connecting to electricity. It is difficult to see a full-functioning decoder that works with a portable power bank.
- Versatility: HelloBox Smart S2 can be cast to a larger screen like your TV. With a basic decoder, you can only watch on TV.
However, the decoder has some features that are currently lacking in Hellobox S2. Some of the features are:
- No Powervu and Biss server menu but we have the more important CAM menu.
Also lacking is a conditional access slot(smartcard).
What are the differences between HelloBox Smart S2 and HelloBox B1?
- Hellobox B1 comes in white colour
- Smart S2 can perform the job of the B1 and so do what the B1 cannot do which is playing the satellite TV channels
- For track satellite Tv position only, Hellobox b1 could be easier and faster to use than s2
Should I buy HelloBox s2 when I already have the b1?
How to Connect HelloBox Smart S2 to Android phone via DVBPlayer(with video)
Requirements for connecting HelloBox Smart S2 to an Android via DVBPlayer APP
- Make sure you already have a dish/antenna that is pointing to the satellite you want to watch.
- Optionally, you can have your DiSEqC switch ready if you want to watch channels from multiple satellites.
- A source of power like electricity, the USB port on your Laptop or a mobile power bank is essential to power the device
- Furthermore, you need a pretty stable internet connection(needed for DVBPlayer). The connection must be via WiFi or LAN. If you want to connect hellobox Smart S2 to DVBFinder instead, you don’t need internet data.
- Finally, you would need an Android phone with a compatible operating system. Just like B1, HelloBox smart s2 work with Android 4.3 and newer.
Steps to Connect HelloBox Smart S2 to Android via DVBPlayer
HelloBox Smart S2 can work with DVBFinder and DVBPlayer Android Apps. The initial connection slightly tricky but notwithstanding easy. Follow the steps below with the aid of diagrams and a video to connect your DVBPlayer Android app to HelloBox Smart S2.
- Step 1: connect your hellobox to the power source with the cable that was shipped with it.
- Step 2: connect your LNB/coaxial/Satellite cable to the LNB-IN port at the back of hellobox.
- By now your box should be flashing a red and a blue light.
- Step 3: Open up your phone and switch on your Bluetooth, your wI-Fi(you can also use LAN) and your GPS.
Note: you need to properly configure your GPS to work with HelloBox S2 otherwise, you will receive a “connected box failed” error in DVBPlayer See image below on how to set up your GPS/location service for HelloBox
- Step 4: Open the Google Play Store App on your phone and search for “DVBPlayer”(you can also use this opportunity to download “DVBFinder” if you haven’t done that already.
- Install and launch the DVBPlayer app. Make sure you grant every permission prompts you to receive.
- Step 5: DVBPlayer will start searching for the connected Hellobox Smart S2 wait a few minutes until it shows “Box 1: 76:xxx:755:556”
- If you are using the box for the first time, you will also be prompted to upgrade the firmware. Please do just that. You can also do this manually from with the app. I however strongly advise that you do it at this point.
Now you will receive another prompt to scan for new channels. Accept this prompt and you will be redirected to the “satellite installation” page of DVBPlayer. Here you can change some tracking parameters safely like: DiseqC, Scan mode, , FTA/CAS mode and so on. Please only change what you are sure of.
- Watch on as the scanning progresses. Once completed, the app will direct you to the channels page and you will be able to select the channels you want to watch. Since I wasn’t using a cccam to decrypt any channels, I selected FTA channels in my channels mode. My position is 36E and we have free channels such as Dish, ODS VOD Eng, CGTN, CCTV4, CCTVN and so on
- Final step: Congratulations as you have set up your hellobox smart s2 to be able to open satellite TV channels on your Android phone successfully. Now, you can go through the Menu of the decoder. They are well arranged.
Video tutorial of how to Connect HelloBox Smart S2 to Android via DVBPlayer or DVBFinder
A picture speaks louder than a 1000 words so the saying goes. Nothing can, however, compare to videos. Below is a video that illustrates how I connected my HelloBox to my Android phone. The video is helpful for those using both DVBPlayer and DVBfinder.
Steps to Connect HelloBox Smart S2 to Android via DVBFinder
Now, it is easier to connect DVBfinder Android app to helloBox Smart S2. All you need to do is to launch your DVBFinder app>>switch on your Bluetooth, GPS and WiFi, tap on the Bluetooth icon in DVBFinder then select and edit the satellite and TP you want to point to.
Where to buy HelloBox Smart S2 as an individual or for reseller
You have the opportunity to buy helloBox Smart S2 as either a reseller or an end-user. The price and quantity vary. I am yet to stock this product for reselling. The only way you can get it promptly as an individual is by ordering it on aliexpress.com.
The retail price on aliexpress including the cheapest shipping is around $45.
How to buy as a reseller
If you are capable of purchasing 40 pieces at a go, then you are qualified to be a reseller. Please contact me so that we can discuss further. As a reseller, you get a cheaper shipping fee and a unit price per unit. Please contact me if you are fully ready to resell this product. Only serious reseller across the globe should contact me. If you want to buy for personal use, please get it on aliexpress for now.