By nomenclature, it is hereto being referred to as “phone protection”, protective case, phone casing, screen protector and so on. In recent times, phones are receiving more features, the screen is getting clearer and sharper, the display is also getting wider. In addition, the form factor is becoming thinner and lighter. Unfortunately, these aesthetically appealing modifications come at a higher cost. Similarly, the default protection is not enough. I don’t think it nice for you to purchase a phone that cost sever 100 of dollars only for you to lose it to an accident. No matter how cheap your phone might be(in terms of price I mean), as long as it is useful for you, you need the appropriate phone protective cases.
If you are ignorant of the existence of a phones’ protective cases, you may be forgiven. However, if you were simply careless, then you have just another chance to right your wrong. If you can buy a phone for $1000, why not spend a little more to protect your treasured device?. phone protectors can cost as low as $4 although the right/best phones protective cases for you might cost a maximum of $80. Relax and read on as I convince you on how to choose the best protective cases for your phone.
What is Phones’ Protective Case/cover?
Basically, by definition, protective cover for phones are- intend to protect a phone’s screen or body from impact damage from knocks of fall, scratches, shocks or liquid. We have phones protective cases in various forms depending on the level of protection the offer. You can get a unibody screen and body protection, just the screen protector or buy both body and screen protector separately.
It is becoming imperative that you protect your phones. Most Chinese Android phones now come with free protective cases. Some brand name phones manufacture also offers basic screen protectors for their phones either as a promo sales of as part of what you get. In the next section, you will learn about all the benefits derivable from using the right/best phones protective cases.
How to buy the most Appropriate Phone Protective Cases
There are some rules to be followed before you buy phone protection. I have had some phones that I used in the past come bundled with a protective cover and a screen protector. In both cases, I discarded these and got for myself what I actually needed. Similarly, this should be the guiding principle for you. For instance, if you are exposed to constant liquid or chemical splashes, a phone protector that protects just the body of the phone will be deficient.
Also, if all you ever worry about is the screen scratches. then, buy a screen protector only will suffice. We also have some set of people who loves flaunting their phones in their full glory, all the time. such people should buy only a hard screen phone protector. Now, let me highlight the factors to be considered before buying the next case for your phone.
- Price & budget
To be honest, the price of the right/best phones protective cases may be a bit expensive. However, we also have cheap but fully functional ones. The price sets the tone for the one you go with at the end of the day. If you don’t mind sparing between $10 to $70, then you can get the very best. Also, it’s not economical to buy a case for your phone at a price that is more expensive than the phone itself.
- Do you really need it?
Do you know that a protective case can also perform the function of an emergency repair? For example, if you scratch your phone’s screen but the damage is minimal, you can get a hard screen protector and with it on the phone, you can still use the phone until you get money for a replacement. So, ask yourself, which type you need before buying. Don’t buy that of your friend because your using habits vary.
It is a must that you have a protective case for your iPad and all tablets. It can result in a suicide mission for your phone is it is a tablet without any form of protection.
Consider the Quality of the material used
You get what you pay for. I mean I have bought may low quality cases in the past that ended up endangering the phones they are meant to protect. If you buy a cheap protective cover for your phone, your phone may slip out and fall out when the materials start disintegrating. You should please take into consideration the quality of the material which is in most cases dependent on the price. Don’t expect a case of $4 to outperform that of $15.
The ruggedness of the phone case
Believe it or not, the right/best phones protective cases are very rugged. However, ultra-rugged full phone protective cases are most likely t trade-off the beauty or actual shape of the phone. You need to find the balance. Most military-grade phone cases are bulky and ugly. I personally don’t care as I like it when people don’t notice the type of phone I am using. Is it scratch-resistant, flexible and shock absorbing?
Make sure it has all the necessary cutouts
If you buy a case that covers all ports in your phone, it means you need to take your phone out whenever you want to use the basic ports like charging, earpiece and so. Please avoid buying such cases. They are not worth it.
Users experience and Reviews
If you frequent amazon like me, you will surely have multiple honest reviews of many items before buying them. I sometimes change my decision based on Amazon users reviews of an item I selected initially. Get a review of the case before buying it.
- Warranty and longevity
Trusted protective phone cases sellers offer between 1 year to a lifetime warranty. so please look out for this before buying. All the cases that I have been buying since 2015 always outlived the phones.
- Pre-determine if you will be needing a kickstand or not: I will suggest you buy one with a kickstand if you are buying for a tablet or iPad
Benefits of buying the appropriate Phone Protective Cases
It is not about buying the most expensive or the most beautiful phone case. It is all about buying the most appropriate phone protective cases. Remember, if you would rather buy a low-quality case for your expensive phone, you are better off not buying one at all. Now, what are the benefits of using a protective case for your phone?
- All round protection of your phone: If you buy both a protective cover and a screen protector or a folio case, Then you have succeeded in protecting every part of your phone from abuse, dents, scratches peels or discolourations.
- Best value for your money: If you buy a phone and you are able to use it until you get tired of it, you are a satisfied customer. In most cases, only the right/best phones protective cases can guarantee this for you. A phone without any form of protection can get damaged even within a few days of purchase.
- It eases the stress of carrying your phablet and tablets on your palms every time: With some case, you get a kickstand. This enables you to comfortably place your tablet or phablet within a safe distance with your hands-free.
- It allows you to be a bit less careful when handling your phone: For instance, without a phone case, I don’t like sliding my phones into a tight jean pocket. Most jean has an abrasive surface and this tends to slowly but steadily erode the phones’ paints overtime. With a protective case, however, this is no longer a threat to my phone.
- Higher resale value: A fully protected case will offer a higher resell value because it will appear as new when you remove the case.
- Ideal for kids: If you want to buy a case for your child and you want it to last long, you need full protection for such a case.
- Some case serves as anti-theft: A full body protective case hides all logos and trademarks of the phone. By extension, a prospective thief may hesitate to come for such. Compare this to a phone that has no protection. For example an iPhone with its eye-catching logo at the back. Any thief can recognize this meters away.
- Nursing mothers should always protect their phones: Our women are exposed to many domestic hassles at home. Sadly, this makes them abuse their phone constantly. the unlucky ones damage their phones within a few days of purchasing it. Buy a military grade full protective phone case can minimize the extent of damage to the phone when it occurs.
- Hot Liquids and chemicals: While normal temperature water can cause no harm when splashed on the screen, the same cannot be said of chemicals or hot liquids. However, with a hard screen protector, you are safe. the impact will be on the case and not your phone.
- Anti-scratch properties: the right/best phones protective cases come with a solid scratch-resistant material. This can prevent scratches from your phone when packed with sharp objects like keys, cuffs and so on.
- Health and safety benefit of protective cases: If you have a phone with a slightly scratched screen, please don’t ignore this. Go and repair it or buy a screen protector. Failure to do this, you can cut your fingers while touching the broken screen. Besides, why not prevent such by simply protecting your phone?
- Prevent internal phone’s hardware damage: When you drop an unprotected phone too frequently, eventually, some internal components of the phone will start coming loose. The major culprits are the earpiece and the speakers. I know you won’t like it if your speakers start sounding like a motorbike exhaust without a muffler.
- Getting a unibody full protective case can also save yo from distraction: If you have always been bordered by friends wanting to check out stuff in your attractive phone, a case may rescue you. For example, I can easily recognise an unhoused smasung note 8. However, it becomse moe diffuclt repeating this on a fully protected note 8.
The right/best phones protective cases: Types and designs
I know that this is a relative affirmation. However, I am using it mainly for illustrative purposes only. There may be many out there that are better than those in my list(mainly at a higher cost though). However, if you go with my list alone, you won’t regret.
No phones protective case will protect your phone from fire hazard please be guided. Also, if your phone is not water resistant, don’t e deceive by any phone case that promises water resistance. The only water resistance that will work for hours is a plastic bag. A water-resistant phone can only stay for some time (usually 30 minutes) underwater and within a certain depth.
For smartphones, you can always look into getting a battery case. These typically have a built-in battery that’s capable of juicing your smartphone for another few hours.
Pros of a battery protective case
- They give you extra battery power
- A battery cover protective case offers basic protection for the body and edges of the phone
- They are usually ugly.
- You should expect a battery pack case to be heavy. In fact, the heavier the better vis-a-vis the mah
- It doesn’t offer great protection. it lacks shock-resistance in most cases. I give it a 4.5/10 rating in terms of protection.
Full-Body Heavy Duty Case with Built-in Anti-Scratch Screen Protector
The overall winner as far as a full protection for your phone is concerned happens to be a heavy duty/military grade phone’s protective case with a screen protector. We have very few manufacturers producing this in the highest of qualities. However, I will list some manufacturers who are synonymous with quality production. For emphasis, this is the best money can buy when choosing the right/best phones protective cases or your phone. Alternatively, you can buy the screen protector separately and buy the protective cover from as a separate item. That way, you can enjoy the best of both worlds. I am currently using this design and no regrets so far.
Features of a good full-body/unibody heavy-duty case and inbuilt screen protector
I will be using the features of the “SUPCASE” protective case that I am using currently as an example.
- Integrated screen protector
- Premium drop protection
- Raised edges for screen and lens defence
- Provides full access to ports and functions while protecting from dust and scratches
- Shock-resistant, dual layer case with PC hard shell and flexible TPU.
- Built-in screen protector prevents scratches without compromising sensitivity.
- Hardback case clips into a swivelling belt clip holster for carrying convenience.
- Slim and sporty design with multiple color options.
- Military-grade ruggedized design tested for shock and drop resistance*
- Belt-clip holster included that doubles as a kickstand for hand-free media viewing.
- Port covers keep out dust and debris
- Includes supcase limited lifetime warranty and 100% authentic.
- They offer 100% protection for your phone or tablet. That depends on the quality of the one you buy though. They are the ultimate mobile protection
- integrated screen protector means you don’t need to buy it separately. And I must admit, it is crystal clear
- Multilayer defence
- The supcase case for not 8 comes with port covers in every dept. this is a good addition
- RATING: On a scale of 10, I give the 9.9 as long as you purchase the right one. I remove the 0.1 because some may have screen sensitivity issues initially. These set of cases are the best in all situations
- Who can use this?: Everybody can use this. It is an invaluable recommendation for everyone who wishes to protect his or her phone fully.
- Often at times, the right/best phones protective cases that are heavy-duty and comes with inbuilt screen protectors are bulky.
- Relatively, they are heavy but you will hardly notice this.
- The real beauty of the phone may be a trade-off. Like I said earlier, this is also relative.
- Initially, it may feel as if your phone is less sensitive to touch. you will get used to this pretty fast.
Some of the best Phone Protective Cases are Waterproof/Snow/dust cases
This set of protective cases convert every phone that uses them into a full water-resistant device. They only protect you from the cool water. Please don’t try this with boiling water.
Features and Pros of a waterproof phone case
- IPX8 Certificated: Fully submersible and waterproof, the waterproof case is designed for extreme condition. I rate it 10/10 for protection against water, dust and snow. They are better than the phone’s IPX8 rating.
- Free Operation and Transparent Cover: This slim waterproof phone cover is designed not to hinder touchscreen use even underwater. Transparent cover all around so as not to block the camera use. You can perfectly operate your cell phone but NOT for touch ID fingerprint.
- Universality: It fits all large Smartphones below 6 inches & your cash, documents, credit cards, etc, very good for indoor &outdoor activities, water sports, travels. Compatible with most smartphones (under 6 inches) including iPhone X, 8, 8 plus, 7 plus, 7, 6s, 6s Plus, 6, 6 plus 5s, 5, se, 5C, 5, 4s, Samsung Galaxy S8 S7 S6, S6 Edge plus S5, S4, S3etc.
- Multifunctional Waterproof Phone Bag: Features a simple snap and lock access, easy to keep out water, snow, dust, sand, and dirt.
- Features a simple snap and lock access, easy to keep out water, snow, dust, sand, and dirtGreat for swimmers and divers
- Who can use this?: If you constantly work in the rain or you are a swimmer, diver or you leave in a flooded environment, this is a necessity for you.
Disadvantages of waterproof phone cases
- They can’t protect against drops or impact damage
- Also can impact negatively on the functionality of the phone if you stay underwater for too long
- You cannot depend on it to protect your phone’s screen from cracks
Folio/wallet Protective Cases
Flip-open folio or wallet cases can be stylish and pocket-friendly. They’re a really good alternative to traditional cases if you intend to sling your phone in a bag, namely because they offer all-around protection. They vary when it comes to dropping protection, however, as some include a shell-type case inside while others offer virtually no coverage on the sides or corners.
Features and advantages of a Folio phone case
- HAND-CRAFTED from high-quality faux leather with beautiful stitching, each case looks and feels luxurious; precise cutouts for functional ports allow to access to all ports and functions easily;
- FUNCTIONAL wallet case carrying at most three regular credit cards and a little pocket money with you conveniently, no bulky feeling;
- HIDDEN MAGNETS keep the phone close when it isn’t used without any fussy strap, protect the phone screen from scratch or broken when you put it in a bag with your keys etc. The case surrounds all the edges, cover the whole phone with a full body protection on front and back when the phone in your pocket and purse, well protected, safer including the volume buttons and the mute switch, even Apple Logo, not just a bumper guard for the sides or back, really 360 protection.
- BUILD-IN stand function with adjustable angle helping you read e-book, news or watching a movie easily and release your hands.
- Who can use this?: IF you always combine your phones with other sharp upjects in your bag, then please get a folio case today.
CONs of folio cases
- Less protection when the flip is open: if you open your phone, your screen is vulnerable until you close it. Folio cases are not the best when it comes to accidental drops.
- We have many inferior folio cases out there. If you buy a fake one, you will compromise your phone’s protection. The premium ones are expensive but they are worth it.
check this result page for some good ones. Go with those that are highly rated The price is between $7 to like $50 depending on the phone and quality of the leather.
Flip to the last page(page 3) to read up the remainder of this article>>
When is a Screen Protector Appropriate?
Many devices ship with screen protectors, and there are plenty of places that sell them for every device on the market. These can help reduce the chance of scratches or cracks appearing on your touchscreen.
Features and advantages of using a screen protector for your phone
If you are looking out to protect your phone’s surface(that is the screen), then look no further than a quality tempered glass screen protector. As long as you buy one from a reputable maker, you will be a happy customer for as long as you have them on. I use to be a fan of this before I was robbed. Ever since I switched to the full body screen protector, no stranger will notice the phone that I am using from afar.
- Ultra-clear High Definition with 99.9% transparency to allow an optimal, natural viewing experience
- Some screen protectors last as long as the phone.
- You hardly notice them. Of course, except you got the fake.
- Ultra-thin-0.3mm thickness is reliable and resilient and promises full compatibility with touchscreen sensitivity
- Highly durable, and scratch resistant – surface hardness 9H and topped with oleophobic coating to reduce fingerprints.
- Includes: 2x GLASS Screen Protector, Wet/Dry Wipes, Squeeze Card, Easy Installation, Dust Removal Stickers
- For example, IQ Shield LIQuidSkin protectors are crafted using a revolutionary process that melds high response sensitivity, self-healing durability, and non-yellowing, optical transparency into a single layer of flexible yet tough film
- Classified as a “smart film” and optically transparent once applied, the LIQuidSkin line seamlessly merges mobile protection and user interactivity into a single enjoyable experience
- Rating: I give this a 10/10 if you buy a premium one for your screen. It, however, has a rating of 0/10 for the phone’s body protection.
- Who can use this: If you don’t want to compromise the shape and beauty of your phone for anything in the world, then a screen protector is all that you need.
Cons of screen protectors
Everything is not all rosy for screen protectors. In fact, you must be careful when buying one. Below, are some of the problems you might encounter using a poorly-made screen protectors
- IT can affect your touchscreen so much so that it might stop responding altogether.
- Some might cause some section of your phone’s screen to stop working
- Fake ones will cause bubbles and attract dust
- Finally, you should note that it will only protect the face and not the body of the phone
There are so many manufacturers worthy of our recommendations. However, Dome Glass. comes at the top of the list. Others include Spigen, OMOTON, amFilm, IQShield. You should expect to pay anywhere between $4 and $45 for a pack of three or four
Protective Cases With or Without a kickstand
This type of case predates the introduction of the full-body/unibody case with built-in screen protector. The only difference between these types and the ones with an integrated screen protector is that these don’t come with a screen protector. To get the best protection out of this, you should buy a screen protector separately.
- The high-quality ones are Military-grade ruggedized design tested for shock and drop resistance*
- Inner soft bumper helps absorb shock combined with a Studded Rhinestone finish to secure your phone from bumps and drops.
- Some can be Slim fitting, lightweight and allow convenient access to all functions, cameras, buttons and ports.
- The premium ones are made of high quality hard, durable outer plastic and inner flexible silicone, elegant print gives a beautiful look to your phone.
- Mostly, every protective cover case is easy to install or remove.
- RATING: 8.5/10 in terms of the level of protection. IT protects the screen from damages that can occur to it from flat surfaces. Not from ones from sharp surfaces or objects
- WHO CAN USE?: Everyone can use this. I will, however, plead that you combine this with a corresponding quality screen protector for the best protection. If you want to use it alone, please make sure that you can always protect your screen from scratches and cracks.
Cons of protective cases
- It cannot protect your phone’s screen from scratches and cracks. You need additional protection to be able to pull that through.
CONCLUSION AND RECOMMENDATIONS
The fact that there are phones accessories that can take the burden of having to protect your phone from you does not mean you should be careless. Please, your phone is an important part of you and you can hardly do without it. Tend to it and take good care of it. Rember that the best screen protector cannot protect your phone from fire hazard, please do use your phone when playing with fire.
If you ask me to give you a recommendation that will work in all cases, I would ask you to buy a solid protective case separately, then buy a hard screen protector and install them together. That way, you will be enjoying the best of both worlds. If you can’t go about it that way, buy the all-in-one fully body protective case. If you are the extremely care type with your phones, and pickpockets are not an issue for you, simply buy a premium protective screen protector and continue flaunting your gadget while protecting its screen at the same time.