This post was last updated on December 24th, 2019 at 02:00 pm
A rear-view mirror (or rearview mirror) is a flat mirror in automobiles and other vehicles, designed to allow the driver to see rearward through the vehicle’s rear window (rear windshield). Similarly, the side-view/wing mirror complements the rearview mirror by allowing the driver to see In addition, in cars, the rear-view mirror is usually affixed to the top of the windshield on a double-swivel mount allowing it to be adjusted to suit the height and viewing angle of any driver and to swing harmlessly out of the way if impacted by a vehicle occupant in a collision. Within the context of this write-up, I shall be categorising both rearview and side-view mirrors as on. Japan has proffered the alternative to rearview mirror technology. And sooner than later, traditional rearview and side-view mirrors may be a thing of the past.
Brief Introduction to Vehicle’s Rearview and side-view Mirrors
Cars are always equipped with rearview mirrors. These rearview mirrors are like eyes, which can help people to better understand the surrounding vehicle’s condition. especially in blind spot areas such as the rear of the vehicle.
Without the rearview mirror, it is impossible to understand the surroundings in time. The condition of the car is undoubtedly very dangerous. But now there is news that Japan is going to cancel the rearview mirror.
Especially Relevant: Vehicle’s Windshield Stress Crack: Definition, Causes, Prevention & repair
Japan to Launch the Alternative to Rearview Mirror Technology
Everyone knows that car rearview mirrors are very important, but now there is news that Japan that would cancel the rearview mirrors. Here is the confusion: If you do n’t have a rearview mirror, driving is like missing eyes. Obviously, you can’t know the surrounding road conditions, and can’t see the situation behind the vehicle. Isn’t it extremely dangerous? But in fact, don’t worry, because there are already other ways to replace the function of the rearview mirror.
Analysis of The Alternative to Rearview mirror Technology
In fact, the cancellation of the rear-view mirror is not the first. In the modern era, the rear camera is used to replace the role of the rearview mirror.
That is to say, a camera is installed outside the vehicle, and the captured images are transmitted to the display screen inside the vehicle so that the driver can better see the external conditions of the vehicle. And because the camera range can be expanded, blind spots can be further avoided, so the safety factor is significantly improved.
Why the New Rearview Mirror is Better than the Traditional Rearview Mirror
The more popular traditional side-view mirrors have it’s own challenges in spite of the improvement made over time. Below are some of the challenges of the traditional rearview and side-view mirrors:
- If the traditional rearview mirror encounters bad weather conditions, the field of vision may become more blurred. By contrast, if an outside camera is installed, this situation can also be effectively alleviated s the camera used are all weatherproof.
- Introducing the camera method of rearview mirrors will undoubtedly make people drive safer. Some people are afraid that it will be unaccustomed to cancel the rearview mirror. After all, from the beginning of the car learning, the coach asked us to be proficient in using the rearview mirror. Now canceling the rearview mirror is definitely not the first.
- Another constraint of the existing types of rearview mirrors is in the blinding field of vision which is the most troublesome. in other words, the visible range of the rearview mirror is still limited.
- If there are small things in the blind zone, the driver can’t see them. And as mentioned before, the mirrors will be severely affected and the sharpness will be greatly reduced in bad weather.
- In addition, wind resistance will be increased with the introduction of cameras to replace the mirrors.
- Lastly, the elimination of the mirrors can further reduce fuel consumption and improve the power performance of the car.