Sin the advent late last year, the 9mobile/Etisalat unlimited magic sim package has undergone at least two major transitions. It however still maintains its form factor. Like the proverbial old wine, it is getting better with age. The phase that we are in currently is that of having a registered and activated sim before you are eligible. 9mobile magic sim updated troubleshooting becomes necessary because the method has changed. I have been receiving some complaints about their sim not working. It is time to react simc=nce many of this complaints results from actions by commision which are largely avoidable.
This might also interest you: The new activation method of 9mobile magic unlimited sim
9mobile magic sim updated troubleshooting guide as at February/March 2018
Warnings and rules of the thumb for pre-February users
Irrespective of when you registered your line, as long as you do not fall within the group of those who are requested register and activate their sim cards before requesting for activation, the following suggestions should be adhered to strictly:
- You should as a matter of necessity load and use a 9mobile airtime on your sim card at least once every two weeks. You need to buy a #100 recharge card and load it by inputting the digits. Please don’t try to transfer airtime to the line as this will fail. Also, don’t try to make a normal voice call from the line a sit won’t go through. It is still a prohibition for you to register the line. Simply load a card and use it to send one of two text messages to another line. Better still, load the card and use it to browse the web. Just make sure you regularly perform a chargeable activity. If you fail to do this, you will just wake up one day and your data will be totally off. This situation has no fix. Please beware.
- Secondly and closely related to the above is a subtle bar on your line due to lack of billable activity. Your sim will have data but refuses to open any page. To solve this, do the same thing suggested above.
- Thirdly, for prosperity sake, you need a self=imposed constraint. If you transfer data heavily you must load and use airtime on the line regularly. Failure to do this may result in your line going int a hiatus for 48 hours or more. If this very bug strikes your line, even after load a recharge card(your line may not be restored until after a day or two). Avoid this.
9mobile magic sim updated troubleshooting guide users who activated in February
Majority of users who activated their lines in February 2018 falls within the category of those who are required to first register and use the sim for either call, SMS or web browsing before submitting it for magic sim activation. Immediately after the activation, you should be able to use it. However, if you are experiencing difficulties browsing with your newly activated sim, please do the followings.
- Ensure that you have changed your APN to new one given to you.
- Make sure you are not trying to visit pages like youtube, twitter, facebook, Instagram directly with the sim card without a VPN.
- If in your case, you are being redirected to the “you have run out of data, buy 9mobile page” Please you will need to reset your APN and re-enter the special APN given to you.
- Make sure you are not trying to use the sim inside a wifi router/MiFi that is locked or one that rejects manual APN configuration. Please try the sim on an Android phone before inserting it into any other device.
9mobile magic sim updated troubleshooting – New activation and nothing is working
If you newly activated yours(February) and you have applied all troubleshooting tweaks and nothing is working. Then something is wrong with your sim. Some of the causes can be:
- You present a partially-registered sim card. By this I mean, you actually went to register the sim but the registration was not successfully unknown to you.
- Also, this happens when you fail to activate the sim properly. tO activate a sim, it does not suffice for you to just load the call card. You must use the card to perform any of the three chargeable services viz: call, browsing or SMS.
- Similarly, when you are presenting your sim card, please make sure you have used up any data or airtime. No leftovers.
What can I do when my sim suddenly refuses to display data signal?
This happens every once in a while. Do not run to me for a network downtime of lesser than 24 hours. Instead, ensure that Etisalat network is available in your area. In my case, I have a subscription on my official Etisalat line. Coincidentally, when my magic sim starts acting up, my normal sub also follow suits. This happens mostly between 9 am to 12 pm and between 5.30 to 7 pm in my area. There may be a slight difference in its behaviour in your own location.
When this happens, first think about when last you have loaded on the line. if you just did that, then fret not. Simply restart your phone and you should be okay. Keep restarting until it becomes stable. On a final note, you can also activate this on a line that is ported to the 9mobile network.