This post was most recently updated on October 11th, 2019
You may wish to present a mobile phone as a gift to your parents. Of course, if your parents are aged, you will love to present a piece of the phone that would make their life easier without jeopardizing or deteriorating their health. Obviously, certain sickness/infirmities come with age, notable of which are: poor vision and memory loss. In this article, we are concerned with how to make the best choice when you are shopping for phones for your old parents or elderly people generally. n addition to reuniting with parents and sending a mobile phone to parents, it is the most correct choice. Because the parents’ needs for the older generation are small, the configuration requirements are not too high. Today, i present to you 3 best phones for your old parents. My recommendation considers legible fonts and font size of the phone above other things. Also, the display of the phone must have a good sunlight visibility.
3 Best Phones for Your old Parents
The following is a list of carefully selected smartphones that are friendly with the aged. If your parents are close to or above 65 years of age, you may consider getting them any of these phones or any other phone that is close to them. Modern phones are having higher screen resolutions shwih is reducing the font sizes. Apart from this, modern screen technology tends to be too glossy/glaring all of which are not recommended for our parents. Read and enjoy the type of phones that fits into the specs that are suitable for parents.
1.Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 (discontinued)
Although the production of these devices has been discontinued, you can still get to buy the “preowned” or refurbished from online stores such as Amazon.in, Amazon.com, eBay, or similar sites that still have it in stock. Mi Mix 2 was launched in August 2017. It has a big enough 5.99-inch screen and it is equipped with Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 eight-core processor.
With Mix 2, parents should no longer worry about the troubles caused by mobile phone. It has a 6GB of ram and a or 64G ROM. This storage is decent enough for our parents to catch events and moments. To make things easier, the camera supports autofocus, digital zoom, photo effects and other functions. You can look up the full specs on gsmarena. Generally, this phone is easy to use. It’s 1080 x 2160 pixel and arrays of good fonts makes it a good f=phone for older people.
Although this phone is discontinued as far as production is concerned, you can still get to buy it from my links above. However, it is recommended that you can buy two mobile phones to send parents one will serve as an extra/spare for future purpose. Xiaomi MIX2 is priced at around $139.
2. Huawei P10 (Production Also discontinued)
Anytime the name Huawei is mentioned, what first comes to mind is “durability and reliability”. Of course, our parents may sometimes be careless about where they drop their phones. In this regard, they need a phone that is built to last like forever.
The p10 is another cellphone with a vibrant display that suits the aged. You can get the full specifications of Huawei p10 gsmarena. Launched in January 2017, the 5.1-inch screen is equipped with the HiSilicon 960 eight-core processor.
The screen resolution of 1920×1080 (1080p) pixels this helps it to be able to magnify the font by 5 times without blurring so that parents can get rid of reading glasses. The 20 million + 12 million rear camera makes the picture clearer, and also supports front fingerprint recognition, no longer have to worry about parents forgetting the password.
Where to buy Huawei P10
Despite the fact that production is stopped for the phone, you can still buy it as used or refurbished from reputable online stores like Amazon and eBay. the price of the machine starts at $136. Remember to also buy more than one if you can. With this, you are insured against damages coming to one of the devices.
3. Meizu Pro 7 (discontinued)
Listed in June 2017, the Meizu Pro 7 is equipped with MediaTek Helio X30 ten-core processor, 5.2-inch OLED screen makes parents more convenient to operate with one hand. It packs dual 12mp cameras plus 16mpm front cameras, let the parents take pictures than may make then look like Eight years old. It is worth noting that the Meizu Pro7 is divided into a standard version and a plus version.
The above is a high version, and the standard version of the memory and CPU configuration is higher. screen resolution is also 1920 x 1080 which is good when you want to magnify the font without losing the details
Where to buy Meizu Pro 7 or Pro 7 Plus
This model is also discontinued. However, you can buy it from popular online marketplaces such as Amazon link for Meizu pro 7 plus or eBay. If you want, you can start with the platform, the standard version is $115, and the high version is $127.
Factors to be considered when buying a phone for Elderly People
- Affordability: The phone should be affordable just in case it get destroyed by our parents mistakenly. don’t buy more than a $500 unless you are rich and don’t give a damn.
- Design: I will advise that you go for a phone built with ionized aluminium. This should also be a unibody phone. The 3 phones above fall into this category. Secondly, the phone must have a good grip. it must not be as slippery as iPhone xs max or galaxy s10 plus.
- Size and Dimension: The phone should not be too heavy or too lights. Also, the size of the phone should be such that i is convenient to hold and operate with one hand. I will recommend a screen size in the rand of 5.1-inches to 5.99. Anything larger than 6 inches may be tricky to operate with one hand.
- Safety, security and features: First off, you may consider getting a rugged heavy-duty case and a very good screen protector for the phone before giving it to your parent. Furthermore, you need to ensure your parent’s data is secure, therefore, get a phone with a fingerprint unlocking feature. This way, you can ensure that no one accesses their phones without permission and at the same time, you won’t need to deal with the issue of your parents forgetting their password. If available a waterproof phone is advisable.
- Durability: Don’t buy a phone made of glass to your parents. Plastic is not also very good. You can go with any phone made of aluminium.
- Screen resolution and pixels: Don’t go for any phone with a very high resolution as this can affect the zooming/magnification of the fonts/text. I recommend 1080 x 1920 or 1080 x 2160 max.
- Sunlight legibility: Most LCD screens have a good sunlight legibility. Aside from this, we have high-end OLED screens with good legibility. I will recommend phones with LCDs and good sunlight legibility and blue light filtering because they are cheaper.
- User-interface: one thing that I love about iPhones is the simple user interface. The same applies to google pixel. Get a phone that is easy to navigate and not one with too many features.