In today’s article, we shall be availing ourselves of the opportunity to learn what is the best internet connectivity/access solution for any average internet user.To the average youth, the internet is indispensable no matter how much time you spend on it. To every civilised person,(be it literate or illiterate. yo be civilised you do not need to be formally educated) the internet is a necessary evil. Now, this brings us to the next question, which internet modem /access do you need? Do you even need another source of internet connection when my phone has “an active mobile data”
Must Read: wifi hotspot, differences and types
WHY SHOULD I BUY A MIFI / WIFI ROUTER WHEN I CAN USE MY PHONE FOR INTERNET?
When am done, you will have more than enough reasons to. Are you always frustrated when your phone dies so fast especially while gaming or streaming videos online(Even iptv)? have you been faced with a swollen battery? Have you always been compelled to switch off your data or switch to 2g just to conserve your battery?, has your phone’s temperature even gotten to water boiling point before? You may also say, is it not better to use one of my phones as a wifi hotspot instead of buying a mifi ? Well, the answer is yes and No. If you will be using that phone for other operations apart from the wifi hotspot, then, please do not use your phone. To put it straight, do not use your primary phone as a wifi hotspot for a lengthy period of time. in my own case, I bought a used tecno j7 primarily because of hotspot and I don’t use it for any other purpose. Now i have migrated to a dedicated 4g mobile router after disposing of my hame 3g router. To know why a router is better than your phone’s data, please Now read on:
- If you want to avoid battery drain, then you need a wifi router; Especially if you are on tour, you are a traveller, or you live in one of the developing countries of the world like Nigeria where we have erratic power supply, you need two devices as a matter of necessity; 1. powerbank and a mifi router. If you use a wifi connection, your phone’s battery last longer on a charge.
- If you want to reduce money wasted on data: You are a Family man and your wife, children and siblings need the internet. Once you have a mifi(it can connect a minimum of 5 users at once) you can simply buy one huge data and everyone is happy at home.
- Your Security and privacy: By using a portable Wi-Fi router, you can protect yourself from some of the risks that are possible when you enter passwords and banking information over a free public Wi-Fi network. The security is achieved by activating the firewall and using password protection to control who has access to the connection. Most portable Wi-Fi routers are also equipped with WPA (Wireless Protected Access) and WPA-2 encryption which enhances security when accessing the Internet. Secondly, You can prevent unauthorised access to your phone if you have a mobile router. This is how, if you are the absent-minded type like me and you are being looked up to for the internet, you will end up giving out your phone every once in a while to friends for internet use. I have at least one friend every two weeks who will run to me for the internet. ever since I started using hotspots, I simply get them connected to my hotspot and once we are done, I block the connection(so that they won’t help me finish my data). Further more, it will be easier fro hackers to trace and attack your phone if your router security and firewall is well configures
- No speed throttling: Most modern mifi manages connectivity issues better than phones. Your speed will not fluctuate except your internet service provider is responsible for lowering your speed. I notice the differences in speed whenever i use a mifi / wifi as against my phone.
- Mobility and portability: By using a portable wireless router, you can ensure that you will always have wireless access to the Internet while you are on the go or working from a remote location. mine is smaller than any phone that I have ever used past and present. it fits easily into my pocket and it stays at least 5 hours on a charge. I could have bought one that stays longer than 5 hours on a charge but I am not a big income earner i always cut my coat according to my cloth.
- Avoid fire hazard, burns and discomfort: With a mifi router, you can easily save yourself from some health hazards or accidents that can be caused by very high mobile phone temperature. One of the fastest ways to make your phone very hot is for your to operate it endlessly on a weak 3g or 4g. If you want to crown it all, play a HD game or stream videos using 3g or 4g that is not strong enough. All these can be avoided with a router
- If you are an extensive internet user and you do not want to buy another battery(or in extreme cases another phone) pretty soon, please buy a MiFi now or get a phone to be dedicated to hotspot only. High temperature makes a phone’s battery to get swollen and damaged, Hight temperature can also kill your phone totally
- If you do not want to be distracted or interrupted with calls or messages when using the internet, then your pick should be a router as against your mobile data. You can use a sim card that is not known to anyone.
OTHER ADVANTAGES OF USING A MIFI / MOBILE BROADBAND
- It increases your consciousness and allows you to monitor your data usage better: When you use a mobile hotspot which requires a great effort to check the data balance, you develop a habit of fair usage and data management. this is not always the case with your phone because, you easily dial a code on your phone and get so carried away until you receive a SMS from your provider that your data has been exhausted.
- The Interface of a wifi router make it easy to manage internet connection and it has many features like firewall, password…..
- You get better network reception on a router
- You can get the highest speed receivable. some wifi routers a tri-band with up to 700mbps speed. We also have 4g LTE on most routers long before it debuted on any phone. But the fastest phone in terms of internet speed with the fastest router and the router will score a huge win over the phone.
- You can connect multiple wifi devices to your router simultaneously without sacrificing its performance. A minimum of 5 devices can be connected simultaneously and the speed will still be stable enough
- Flexibility and convenience: a mobile broadband, due to its portable nature can be placed anywhere to boost the signal especially when you are in an area where the network fluctuates.
WHAT TO LOOK OUT FOR WHEN BUYING A MIFI / WIFI ROUTER
- If you are the type that is always on the go, you need to buy an unlocked router as against buying a locked one from your internet service provider.
- You may also opt for a router that uses a sim card directly instead of using one that connects by using a 3g / 4g modem
- You should also endeavour to buy one with an inbuilt battery that lasts a minimum of 4 hours.
- If you ae in Nigeria, buy a 4g LTE router as against a 3g router even if your area is not yet covered by 4g network. 4g network will cover most area very soon and you wouldn’t want to be at a disadvantage.
- However, if you think you can stick to a particular network provider indefinitely, then you can buy your mifi from that particular provider.
- 4g routers are more expensive than their 3g counterpart
- A router that has powerbank capabilities is more expensive than one without it.
What is a Hotspot?
A hotspot is a physical location where people may obtain Internet access, typically using Wi-Fi technology, via a wireless local area network (WLAN) using a router connected to an internet service provider. In a layman’s language, a hotspot gives you internet access. The hotspot gets its internet source either from a sim card, modem, or wlan.
What then is Mobile data /cellular data?
Mobile data is Internet content delivered to mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets over a wireless cellular connection.
Cellular providers(For example in Nigeria we have MTN, Glo, etisala, ntel, smile and so on) have offered mobile data through a number of different technologies including GSM (in 1G, 2G, 3G UMTS and 4G LTE Advanced), CDMA and TDMA. Mobile data plans offer varying amounts of data transfer per month for a range of rates. The most expensive plans typically offer unlimited data; the low end may provide less than a gigabyte (GB).
What is a Wifi Router?
A wireless router is an electronic device that works as a router — meaning it sends data from the internet cable to a device — and as a wireless access point so this data can be shared through radio signals instead of another cable
What’s the difference between MiFi and WiFi?
Simply put, the main difference between WiFi and MiFi is that MiFi is actually an internet device that has WiFi built into it, while WiFi is a wireless networking standard. A MiFi device can be connected to a cellular network and provide internet access for up to ten devices. You can call a MiFi a modem or even a router, as it has both components, but it really is a brand name mobile hotspot. Another point of call is that most dedicated wifi routers depend on external sources of power supply. Most high-end wifi routers are not portable, the best wifi router is by far faster than the best MiFi routers. Wifi routers are more suited for industrial or official use while mobile broadband or MiFi are best suited for individuals and small business use. most modern mifi can work alone for hours without connecting it to an external power source.
Types of notable Wifi routers
The companies that manufacture the best wifi includes but not limited to; Linksys, tplink, dlink, huawei, zte, Asus.
Types of Mobile hotspot / mifi / mobile broadband
Unlike in the case of wifi routers, for mifis, Huawei technology is the undisputed manufacturer of the most advanced Mifi out there. My personal router is also a Huawei 4g MiFi. few pictures below:
If you are an average or a heavy internet user, or a traveller, you need to look for that money to buy a mobile wifi router today. When i say mobile wifi routers, I mean the one that can stay for hours on a single charge. We have some routers that also serves as power bank and can spend up to 10 hours on a single charge. Save your phone. save your money, save the hassle. Get a mifi / 3g,4g mobile broadband today.