We all know the joy and security associated with cashless banking. This site will alsway support and encourage any move or feature that will make life easier for the readers. We all have our various banks, we all know that almost every bank in this country has a banking mobile app which is so good. However, what about the non-internet banking transaction. Am happy to tell you now that we now have at least two offline banking fund transactions that are common with all the banks in Nigeria and they are; 1. in the banking hall transaction and 2. USSD code banking operations.
I am going to limit myself to providing the codes for all the various banks in Nigeria. This list may not be exa=haustive, but it definitely covered the most popular banks we have in Nigeria adn they were all gotten from the bank’s official websites.
Advantages of ussd banking over internet banking
- Just about any mobile phone can use it even phones without multimedia and internet facilities
- It saves cost obviously because you do not need to have data to transact
- it saves queue in the banking halls
- it is faster than Internet banking because it has fewer processes
- You can use it to buy recharge card(imagine you are out of data and you want to re-subscribe, don’t you know that without ussd banking, you will have to walk outside to buy the physical recharge card? Except you borrow from your network, transfer funds, view your balance, view your Bvn..
- More secure than going to the bank
- Convenient and comfortable to use everywhere you go as it can work easily with edge/2g /gsm network. More reliable than internet banking that requires a stable network to use
MINOR DISADVANTAGES WHEN COMPARED TO INTERNET BANKING
Though the advantages of USSD outweighs its negligible disadvantages, there is no white without black. Below are two minor constraints of USSD banking:
- If there is a network fluctuation, you may not receive the transaction successful notification and the transaction might have been completed(Solution to this: please confirm that you have not been debited whenever you fail to receive a confirmatory alert before retrying)
- If you have a real and complete internet banking solution especially one that requires a hard token device, you will know that there are no limits to what you can do with your account. Your withdrawal limits is more than 20 times that of ussd in Nigeria. Ussd limits are equals to ATM limits with some bank while it is slightly more in banks like GTBANK.
- This operations can only be performed on a phone with the sim card registered to the bank
- The is no all in one code as you will soon find out. A code is peculiar to a bank
LIST OF USSD CODES FOR VARIOUS NIGERIA BANKS
For Union Bank PLC: *389*032# and you have all the features of Union Mobile (check balance, funds transfer, airtime top up, bills payment, etc.)
Unity Bank: you can perform your normal banking transaction like transferring money to other banks.
To get started you dial *389*215#
Sterling bank: before you can use the bank USSD code you first have to register by dialing *822#
Fidelity bank: account to another bank account, dial *770*Account number*Amount#.E.g *770*0987654321*1000#
wema bank: if you want to transfer money to another account all you have to do is to dial *322*035*NUBAN*AMOUNT#.Example *322*035*1234567890*20000#
1. Access Bank:
4. First Bank
6. Heritage Bank:
7. Keystone Bank:
8. Sky Bank:
9. Stanbic IBTC:
11. Zenith Bank:
12. Diamond Bank
13 To know your BVN, dial