Apart from the hassles, frustrations, and anxieties of life itself, another thing that actually gets under my skin is the sight of mice. I cannot stand these nocturnal but sinister creatures. I search and search and find nothing good about this minutes rodents. The house rats/mice is a menace that can cause irretrievable damage to one’s economic and medical wellbeing. Today’s article will do justice to the various potent rodents repellents/controls that exist today
These creatures are respecter of no country, tribe, skin colour or temperature. They will always find a way to survive in the extremities of situations. No thanks to the fact that they can live for days without food. They are present virtually everywhere around the world. Where you find human activities, you will most definitely find mice. Historians have it that it migrated to the US through the colonialist ships during the colonial/ slave trade era.
Especially relevant: prevent damages to your vehicle’s paint with this 13 tricks
Introduction and identification of the house mice
It is commonsensical to define the problem at hand before providing solutions. Before i proceed with my comprehensive list of potent rodents repellents/controls methods, I will like to first share some basic information about this creature.
The house mouse (Mus musculus) is a small, slender of the rodent family that has a slightly pointed nose; small, black, somewhat protruding eyes; large, sparsely haired ears; and a nearly hairless tail with obvious scale rings. House mice are considered among the most troublesome and economically important rodents in the world
An adult house mice weigh about 2/5 to 4/5 ounce (11 to 22 grams). They are generally greyish brown with a grey or buff belly. In Africa, it especially in Nigeria, it is believed that the bush rats wander to the homes, eat foods prepared with salt and refuse to go back and live in the bush. The bush rats which usually originally have a brownish fur have their fur changed to grey due to lack of exposure to sunlight and the fact that they have tasted salty meals.
Also, we are made to believe that the house mice are native to central Asia, from where they were transported(mostly inadvertently) to other parts of the world. Rats are a very adaptable species, the house mouse often lives in close association with humans and therefore is termed one of the “commensal(is a class of relationships between two organisms where one organism benefits from the other without affecting it.)” rodents along with Norway and roof rats. House mice are much more common in residences and commercial structures than are rats. Brooks (1973) regards them to be the most common mammal in cities, next to humans.
My personal experiences
I have been on the receiving ends of the destructive tendencies of this species. Right from childhood, up till now, I still have a cause to encounter them. If not directly, i have to deal with them indirectly due to the proximity to infected houses. Do not blame me, I am a street guy. However, do not get carried away as these creatures can still invade decongested and relatively tidy environments. Just pray not to incur their wrath. Below are what they have done to me:
- As a child, they have us do extra jobs of cleaning the store more often than not.
- As a street boy who once spent around two months in the village with granny, they have gnawed at my feet and hands on countless occasion while sleep on the mat
- Growing up as a student, my books have suffered. They wreck this very havoc with their neighbours- the cockroaches.
- And currently, am suffering for my neighbour’s sins. They are migrating from their house to mine. The shocking one that just happened to my neighbour last week was when they eat several wires under the hood of his vehicle. The vehicle refused to start and it took only the intervention a electrical engineer to restore normalcy. The engineer warned hime sereveally to avoid a reoccurence for his own safety. He could have gotten involved in a fatal accident had it the wiring failed on motion. Let us all consider the possiblity of a fire hazard as a reult of this. If you have a garage and you have being noticing the traces of rats, please act now. I persoanlly order the most poetent repellent for this man and he is thanking me till date.
GENERAL ECONOMIC & MEDICAL IMPORTANCE OF HOUSE MICE
Mice can spread diseases to humans including:
- Salmonella (food poisoning)
- Respiratory disorder: If you have ever inhaled the urine of male rats, you will agree with me that it has some malodorous smell
- Rat bite fever
- Another concern is when you are forced to perceive the odors from a dead rat which you are yet to trace and dispose
- You can be hospitalised if you are involved in an accident result of rats eating out the wiring of your vehicle.
- Respiratory / suffocation
- They are also responsible for spreading lasa fever in Nigeria
- Damage to vehicles pipes, tubes, and wiring which can result in expensive repairs.
- Structural damages: They can eat and deface your beautiful shoes, clothes or furniture. Mice, in particular, are very destructive to rigid foam, fibreglass batt, and other types of insulation in walls and attics of such facilities.
- Food contamination as a result of mice infestation: Mouse infestations are so widespread that droppings and hairs often end up in many types of food commodities intended for human use. Certain levels of rodent contamination are grounds for condemning food commodities.
Habitat and signs of house Mice
House mice live in and around homes, farms, commercial establishments, and in open fields and agricultural lands. At times they may be found living far from human settlements, particularly where climates are moderate. Below are some of the signs heralding the presence of Mice:
- Mouse droppings: Usually found in sheltered areas.
- Fresh chew marks: Mice can cause damage to insulation inside walls and also by chewing on electrical wires.
- Mice Nests: Mice build their nests from fine shredded paper and other fibrous materials, usually shredded areas.
House mice eat many types of food but prefer seeds and grain. They are not hesitant to eat new foods and are considered “nibblers,” sampling many kinds of items that may exist in their environment. Foods high in fat, protein, or sugar may be preferred even when grain and seed are present. Such items include bacon, chocolate candies, butter, and nutmeats.
potent rodents repellents/controls that work in every situation
Like I said earlier, I would rather prevent than to cure. I do not like controlling rats by killing them manually or chemically. This gives me additional stress. I have always been fascinated by an idea of “use something that will prevent rats from coming near you” I will give you the list of potent rodents repellents/controls measures then you can go with anyone that suits your situation.