In my last article, I talked about how to prevent or repair your phone if it is having any hardware issue. As we all know that no computer hardware can function effectively without a corresponding software, software is the runtime/framework through which hardware operates. Your hardware will most definitely be an expensive decoration without a software. Against this backdrop, I will give concise details of what software problems your device may have, suggested fixes and prevention.
Must Read: How to solve all mobile phones hardware problems
QUICK TIPS ABOUT SOFTWARE
- Once a phone is dead through software issues and you take it to an engineer, have it mind that it is a 50-50 game. It is either it is restored successfully or it dies completely.
- Before any software issue arises, your phone must have being given you signs like restarts, freezing, slow response….
- You can fix 99% of individual Android application bugs or crashes by either uninstalling the culprit or wiping its cache(e.g problems with google play or similar android stock apps are solve either by wiping the cache or factory reset)
- It is advisable to always be on the latest firmware upgrade for your phone
- Basic software glitches(like 45% of common software problems) can be solved by simply restarting your phone
- Another 30% of software issues can be solved doing a within-the-phone factory reset(also known as soft reset)
- 10% percent of advance software problems can only be fixed when you perform a hard reset of your from the boot menu
- Another 10% can be fixed when you to a complete firmware restore of the phone
- Am afraid the last 5% can only be solved when you get a free replacement from the manufacturer(in case you are covered by a warranty) or you buy anther phone.
- 95% of software problem on phones occur as a result of wrong use of the phone by users or abuse
- 5% of phone problems is due to factory defects.
- To avoid software bugs, please think twice before being among the very first to buy a new phone when it is released. let others test it first.
VARIOUS ANDROID SOFTWARE PROBLEMS SYMPTOMS AND FIXES
When it comes to solving software related issues(especially o modern phones) you will hardly see any amateur that will beat me to eat. i have solved many problems for different people and I do not take any software issues on my phones to any engineer. If I can’t solve it, the engineer won’t be able to solve it (unless he is replacing the PCB)
WHEN YOUR PHONE Won’t TURN ON AT ALL
This the most dreaded thing that can happen to your phone. Before we proceed, please make sure yours is not due to drained battery or damaged battery or faulty power switch. If your phone simply dies on you for no known reaosn(although it must have been giving you signs which you ignored). Now do the followings to force your phone to wake up.
- For older generation phones like Nokia java, Symbian, Tecno java and so on, please take the phone to a phone engineer once it is dead.
- For all iPones(mind you, iPhones hardly dies except you jailbreak and install incompatible tweaks on it) well if it gets stuck, try a soft reset on the iPhone by pressing your home button and the power button simultaneously. The iPhone should come up. If this fails, please restore your iPhone firmware via iTunes on PC or Mac.
- Still on iPhone, any other problems that you notice apart from your phone refusing to turn on or your phone being stuck at the apple logo can be solved either by a restart, uninstalling the buggy app or by resetting the device under settings>>general>>reset>>reset all settings
- Now to Android; If your Android device appears to power on and boot up normally, but a problem occurs — maybe the boot process fails, the device freezes, or it immediately reboots or shuts off — there may be a problem with your device’s software.
There’s a hidden way to perform a factory reset of your Android device when it isn’t booting properly. Note that this will erase the contents of your Android device, resetting it back to its default state. This method should only be used in a worst case scenario when your device is unusable due to crashing or freezing software, as you’ll lose everything that isn’t synced to online services or that is not backed up.
First, you’ll need to access your device’s recovery mode. Turn the device off completely, then boot it up with one of the following button combinations:
- Hold Volume Up + Volume Down + Power.
- Hold Volume Up + Home + Power.
- Hold Home + Power.
- Hold Volume Up + Camera.
This will vary from device to device. If none of these combinations works, try performing a Google search with the name of your device and “recovery mode” to find the correct key combination for your device. The device will boot to a screen with an Android and an open chest panel if you’re successful. Press the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons until the Recovery mode option appears on the screen. Press the Power button and your device will reboot into recovery mode. The steps are self-explanatory once you enter recovery mode.