In this article, you shall learn how to update Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505 smart phone to the latest version of Android Jellybean 4.2.2 XXUBMEA firmware. The most outstanding feature of the update is that it activates / enable the option / feature to be able to install Apps on SD card it also contain a lot of bug fixes. So if you don’t want to wait for the update via Samsung kies.
Disclaimer & Warning!
It is strongly advised that you use this tutorial only for Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-19505. Trying using this tutorial in any other Android device May result in unpleasant outcomes of which am not liable. So before you proceed, Check your device’s model number in: Settings » About phone. Try this at your own risk. Although, it is very unlikely that your device will be damaged if you follow all the instructions here to the last letter in this tutorial
Pre Requisites and Requirements before Updating a custom firmware or an official firmware:
Backup your data first using below mentioned instructions, so that if you lost any data you can recover it easily.
For SMS & Call Log – Use SMS Backup & Restore App downloadable from google play store
For Contacts & Settings – Use Android default backup under call settings.
For Images, Songs, Videos, Files – Copy to Internal/External SD card or to your computer.
For APN and MMS Settings – Write down the APN from the path from “Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”
- Make sure your device have at least 80% battery power.
- You already have USB Driver Installed for Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G in your PC
- Backup your EFS Folder.]
- Make sure USB Debugging is enabled.
Procedure to Update Galaxy S4 GT I9505 smartphone with XXUBMEA Firmware:
- Download Jellybean XXUBMEA 4.1.2 Firmware and Odin from here to your computer. Once downloaded, extract both the files in your computer. Open Odin in your computer.
- Turn Off your device so that it can be entered in the Download Mode. Download Mode in GALAXY S4 can be entered by first turning Off the device and then hold Volume Down Rocker Key + Menu Button and then Power ON the device. Once the device is booted and you see the Download Mode Green Robot, you can release the button combos.
- Connect your device to the computer with the help of original USB cable and then you will see that the ID : COM section will turn Yellow / Green, indicating that all the drivers are installed successfully.
- Click on “PDA” in odin to select the rooting tar file which will be there in the extracted folder to click on “Start” to start the process of rooting. Once the device is updated, the device will be rebooted automatically. It may take longer time than expected for booting the device. The whole process of firmware update might take anywhere between 10 -15 minutes depending upon various conditions.
- Don’t disconnect the device from computer till you see the home screen in your phone or the Language selection options.