Prevention they say is better than cure. The post you are about to read today will be all about 90% preventive measure and 10% solution recommendations. What am about to discuss here cut across every brand of decoders irrespective of the design or features. My guide will work for satellite company branded recievers like Dstv, mytv, canaplus official decoders, bein decoders, tvsat, startimes and any official decoder worldwide. This will also work for full free to air decoders as well as fta combo decoders.
By the time am through, you must have learnt one or two things about the care, maintenance and troubleshooting of your decoders. Just that satellite company branded decoders have warranty within a reasonable usage limit. For example, if your dstv decoder is totally faulty from a fault that is not yours, you are entitled to a free replacement. If you even damage your decoder, your dstv dealer will help you repair while you pay a token. Be that as it may, we all know its better not to have problems than having problems and looking for solutions. For satellite-company decoders, please read my preventive measures while other should read both preventions and cures
SYMPTOMS OR SIGNS OF TROUBLES / FAULTS WITH YOUR DECODER
While i will try and be thorough with this, my list may not be exhaustive. Look out for the followings that spells trouble for your decoder.
- Picture distortion: all of a sudden(this is a hardware problem as long as you are sure you did not make any modification on your television. First, try and test your tv is okay, be sure you did not tamper with the AV/display settings on your decoder, try another decoder with your tv to be sure the picture distortion is only peculiar to your decoder)
- Flickering images: This is when your picture is unsteady and jumping. To troubleshoot, apply the methods above. This is also a hardware problem. You also need to be sure one or some of the buttons on your remote control unit is not depressed.
- Your picture is frozen or hung and both the remote and the buttons on your decoders is not responding: This is also a hardware problem with can be triggered by a software issue. The easiest solution(pray it works though) if to force shutdown your decoder by removing it from the power source and restart it. If it is just a glitch, your decoder will be back to normal.
- Decoder is switched on but it is not displaying anything only the red standby light is on or you got only “0000″ or “loading” or any sign that the decoder has not booted fully. This can be caused by a software problem in most cases especially bad software upgrade process. However, it can also be caused by hardware fault like bad Integrated circuit(IC).
- The decoder boots but displayed funny characters or tells you to reset the decoder and you cannot get past the load page: This is 100% Software issue and you need full restore to get your device back. in most cases pc loader restore.
MAINTENANCE OF YOUR DECODERS TO PREVENT DAMAGE
- Please if you are using any modern electronic device, you will agree with me that they come with a fragile and delicate chips. Please alway use a “step down” / ups or a good “surge protector” for your devices. I will earnestly advise you use Either ups or stepdown transformer and combine it with a good surge protector.
- Secondly, please always disconnected your electronics when you won’t be around for a while especially during raining season when we always have heavy thunder and lightening.
- For users of official decoders, please always try and upgrade or accpet to upgrade your decoder when you are sure that you can monitor the upgrade
- If you use A power generating set that is fluctuating and unstable, please do not use your fragile electronics with it. Better still use them with a step-down transformer. Also, make sure you avoid using an Automatic voltage regulator popular;y known as stabilisers in Nigeria with any generator that is equal to or below 1500kva.
- Guide against water or any liquid from getting into your electronic devices. When this happens, please shut down the unit completely and disassemble. clean off the liquid with a soft cloth and let the devices to be air-dried. do not place it under direct sunlight and do not use any electronic device that has been submerged or that has accommodated any liquid.
- It is pertinent that you do not allow dust to accumulate inside your device. If you allow this to happen, you may be exposing the device to overheating.
- When your device is been updated either “OTA” or manually via usb, please do not allow power to go off on it. this is very important as it is the cause of most software problems for electronic devices including smartphones
- Please and please, do not connect incompatible external devices to your decoder. Also, do not leave unused external devices connected to your device indefinitely. Finally, do not connect multiple external drives / devices to your decoder simultaneously if they are not useful for the day to day operation of the decoder. E.G some people will connect a hard disk, a usb 3g dongle, a wifi adapter and a lan cable to the same decoder. Why not pick one best internet protocol and let other go since you cannot use everything simultaneously. Also, why leave a storage device connected to your decoder when you ain’t using it?
CONSEQUENCES OF FAILURE TO TAKE CARE OF OUR RECEIVERS AND SOLUTIONS
I already talked about the effect of failing to take care of your devices. now let me go to the solutions. The solutions is under two categories. Hardware repair and software repair.
- Solutions to hardware failure or faults. If the hardware problem is one that cannot be solved via a simple restart, you will need the expert to look into it. For branded decoders, please take it to an authorised dealer nearest to you. For standalone decoders, take it to a satellite engineer or a skilled computer hardware engineer.
- For Software issues, if the decoder’s menu is still accessible. doing a factory reset from within the decoder’s menu can solve the problem. However, if your device is inaccessible, please you will need a full hard restore which in most cases should be handled for you by engineers. Once again, for any issues on repair on any branded decoder, take it to the dealer. Let me also quickly had this; if your device is under warranty, please do not tamper with it, take it to the seller for a warranty repair.