All of us out there who use A jailbroken iOS device knows how indispensable Cydia installer is.Infact unequivocally immediately you jailbreak your iOS device with a good tool (like redsnow) Cyidia will be Automatically installed into your iDEvice and it will be available for use at the Springboard.Now Do not misquote me, Cydia is not for hacking applications infact it is either you buy the application or you download it for free if it is a freeware. But the most important feature of cydia is that it makes available all those applications that are not available for download on iTunes. Now the purpose of this article is to give you the detailed tutorial on how you can download, install an application on your windows that is equivalent to the cydia installer on your iPhone. Infact the name of the pc software is Cyder and it performs every function that cydia performs on your iphone.
Before i go further, You may want to ask this question:What is Cydia?
Cydia It’s just like Installer, but it is open source and has more features. And more importantly, fewer problems to fix. If you’d like to learn more about Cydia, then visit the author;s site here.
Now read the following points very carefully;:
- It is possible for you to have Cydia and Installer both on the iPhone. This is not necessarily a replacement for Installer.
- If you should use any programs from the Installer that require BSD Subsystem to run, then you should use the program called Fake BSD Subsystem which can be found in the System folder of the Installer.
- If you should use Cydia on an iPhone with applications and personal data already installed, and haven’t used a program like BossTool to move them to the larger disk partition (where the bulk of your storage space is), then it will automatically move them for you and thereby freeing up space on the smaller partition.
- Once installed, you should occassionally refresh Cydia’s repository to make sure you have current version of programs that you install.
- You can install Mobile Terminal and not have to install fix files for it or for BSD SubSystem like you do with Installer. Most importantly, you can change your master password to the iPhone! The Mobile Terminal will also not end your session until you logout of it.
- If you have already installed BSD Subsystem via the Installer, then it will be overwritten and a better version will be installed in its place via the Cydia program. You must never update BSD Subsystem via the Installer ever again as you could damage the installation files that Cydia will create.
Cyder is simply the pc version of Cydia app installer.And the main function of it is that it helps you in installing multiple packages from Cydia Sources on your desktop computer. Through this application, you can easily download, manage and move .deb files from Cydia sources to your phone. The application offers multiple -tabs interface and allows you to easy navigation through each tab’s content.
INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW YOU CAN INSTALL .DEB FILES ON YOUR iPhone via CYDER:
1.connect your iPhone / iPod / Touch/ iPad to your computer.
Now launch Cyder and wait for the application to detect your iDevice.
(Note: when you launch this application but you get an error message that reads thus:”The procedure entry point sqlite3_wal_checkpoint could not be located in the dynamic link library SQLite3.dll” or “Could not load iTunnesMobileDevice.dll,check your iTunnes installation” all you need to do to solve this error is that you should copy the SQLite3.dll that comes with your iTunes installation from the following path C:Program FilesCommon FilesAppleApple Application Support to your Cyder installation folder and replace then cyder will run smoothly)
2. Once it detects your device , click on Get Sources From Cydia. This will allow the application to index all the sources you have already added in Cydia.
3. Click on the packages tab and you will be able to see two paned windows with one side showing all the installable packages and the other showing package details like version etc. You can also use the Source drop down menu to install packages from a certain source. The sections drop down menu allows you to browse through packages that according to their categories.
4. Choose the package you wish to install. Simply right-click on the package you need to install and left click for the download context menu. Now click on install and choose between the following options: Download With Dependencies or Download This Package Only as per your desire.
5. After doing this, click on Downloads tab and you will be able to see your application queued. Right-click the application and select Download Selected from resulting context menu.
6. Wait for the download to complete and click File Manager. You will see a two paned window with one side showing the recently downloaded app, and the other depicting Cydia Cache, Cydia AutoInstall and App Cake tabs.
7. You should now Right-click on the downloaded application on the right hand pane and hit copy Selected. This will copy your app in the AutoInstall folder located at /var/root/Media/Cydia/AutoInstall.
8. launch WinSCP (preferable used iPhone Browser / explorer) and navigate down to /var/root/Media/Cydia/AutoInstall in order to check if your application is there.
9. Once you have confirmed the presence of package file(s) in Cydia AutoInstall folder, reboot your iphone for changes to take effect. In the screenshot below you can see both GV Mobile and KLMaps2 installed on my iPhone 3GS running iOS 5.1
Without iota of doubt i believe this post has been of help and that it is clear enough even for a layman to understand. However if you find any aspect difficult or ambiguous please drop your comment in the box below.
Meanwhile you ensure the growth of this site in various ways other than in cash this ways include but not limited to:
subscribe to our feed
like our facebook page
foolow us on twitter
add us to your circle on google+
and remember to always call back.
meanwhile you can also checkout our web forum for other goodies