Hame 3G/ wifi router is gradually gaining ground across Africa because of it’s usefulness. In this tutorial, i will be explaining(with the help of clear pictures) how to configure your hame router for first use. This article will also benefit users of other types of wifi routers. Read along with me.
FOCUS OF THIS TUTORIAL
How to secure your hame’s password so that you will be free from hackers or any unwanted persons, How to make hame use a predefined APN, How to make hame use a predefined network mode and how to rename your hame router to anything of your choice.
IMPORTANT POINTS TO NOTE BY ALL HAME USERS
- Older versions of hame router have a bug that prevents you from customizing it on a computer(I will give you a workaround on this)This issue has been fixed in newer versions like A16S
- Your default wifi password is always written clearly on your hame router
- The URL that will give you access to your router is either written on the body of your router or in the manual this is “http://192.168.169.1“
- All hame comes with a manual written in Chinese language and this can make it very difficult for newbies to figure out(don’t worry i understand chinese language am here for you)
- The default admin password for hame is “hame” without the quotes those of other routers are usually “admin“
- Hame supports almost all sim cards the world over. all you need to do is to.
- The default service / dial number for Nigeria gsm service providers is *99# you can use this anywhere service number is required to setup an internet profile
HOW TO FULLY CUSTOMIZE YOUR HAME ROUTER TO YOUR TASTE
You can use your hame router out of the box by using it via lan cable or by connecting to its WiFi hotspot by entering the default password which is written on the device. However, you will be doing yourself some wrongs if you refused to change some values within hame settings. It is like you having a satellite decoder with only one channel whereas you can watch other channels on the decoder. If you give someone your password, that is the end, the person will continue to have access to your hotspot anytime you switch it on. this guide will(in sequential order0 show you how to change your: network mode, wifi password, wifi name, apn, among other things on your hame.
- The first thing you need to do after buying your hame, is to buy a lan cable(lan cable is cheaper if you want to configure your hame on a computer and you want to use your hame with your decoder if you can’t find a good wifi adapter for your decoder) You may ignore a LAN cable if you want to set up your hame on your smartphone.
- For those having a LAN cable and willing to set it up on a computer, connect your hame to your pc via your lan/ rj45 cable with the sim card of your choice inserted then visit http://192.168.169.1 in any of your computer browser be it Mozilla, safari, opera, or internet explorer. Then follow steps four to (For those who have older versions of hame, don’t bother to use pc because it won’t work you will have to set up your hame using your mobile phone browser hame A16S and newer versions can be setup on a PC.
- For those willing to use a phone, or those who couldn’t use a computer for the reason mentioned above, make sure you use your smartphone’s defaut browser don’t use third party browser. E.g blackberry users should use blackberry browser, android users should use android browsers, aple iPhone users should use safari now in your insert the Sim you want to use into yor hame>>wait till it power on your hame>>open yor phone’s internet mobile data and make sure you are subscribed to to a data plan on your phone>>at the same time search for your hame wifi and connect to it>>once hame is connected to your phone, open your browser and type http://192.168.169.1 you will be required to login… pictures below for steps 1 – 3
Like i said earlier, you can use any sim card. I used mtn with an active bundle(If you don’t have an active bundle on your hame, you will still be able to set it up, but it won’t be useful to browse the internet until you load into the sim card.
4. once you visit the URL given above, you will be presented with a login page as shown below:(note, i used my android phone browser) Simply enter hame as the admin password.
5. Once you are logged in, you will see the following user interface of which you are advised to modify specific values under the Internet settings and wifi settings only. If you are using stubborn si card like glo, you may need to change your Apn manually to “gloflat” gloflat is the apn assigned to all glo data bundles and that is why glo rarely browse when you don’t have a data bundle. even if you have 20,000 worth of airtime, glo may not browse. For full list of all manual APN settings for all Nigeria network, click here. The following pictures explain more:
6. The first pictures shows a successful login to hame dashboard and the areas you are going to focus on. The second and third pictures shows the initial steps to setting up the internet profile on hame by default, the Wan connection type is set to “SMART” now this mode has it’s major disadvantage especially in Africa where we lack good 3g network so the first thing you must do is to change “SMART” to “3G” as shown above after change smart to 3g, click on “DONE”
7. We now go further by setting up our apn: this option will not be available if you choose smart as your connection type. the following pictures shows you how to manually edit your APN. Mind you the one in my screenshot is for airtel Nigeria, please use the one that belongs to the network you are using.However, dial number is same for all network providers Once you are done with this modifications please click on apply and wait till you get a success message as shown below:
8. Now that we are done with the internet setup, we need to secure your wifi hotspot. you can also choose to spice up your wifi hotspot’s name to any name of your choice. the following pictures contains the default hame wifi password which is written at the back of the hame(you should also note that this corresponds with the one inside hame wifi settings, you should also choose the appropriate wifi security mode which is “WPA-PSK” then change your “Network Name(SSID)
9. Next it to show you with the aid of diagrams how what you need to change within hame wifi settings like i said above. The wifi security of hame router was disabled by default so as to grant users first time aces to the settings. Now you will have to enable the security mode, then change the password from the default to any thing not less than 8 characters. you may also change your network name from the default HAME_***_3d12 To your own name or anything else. Make sure you apply, your changes.
10. This is a bug i notice with hame i don’t know if it s all hame versions or just the older ones. Anytime i change a sim card, the settings will reset to default. so please after changing sim try and re-visit the dash board. I uploaded two more pictures showing a connected hame router on qsat decoder via wifi using a wifi adapter on the qsat decoder and a picture showing how to reset a hame router in the event of any emergency. To learn how to connect your decoder to the internet(be it LAN internet, wifi, Sim card or 3g modem, please read this article)