This post was most recently updated on October 17th, 2018
You will agree with me that watching TV programs via a DirecTV using a Satellite Dish/antenna is not the most convenient way of enjoying favourite tv programs. Gladly, there are various 13 Cheap Alternatives to Satellite TV some of which I will be sharing with you today.
Although most of these services are meant to be enjoyed by users in the USA. However, with the help of a good VPN such as VyprVPN, express Vpn and the likes, this can easily be used globally. There are at least 13 alternative service packages to satellite tv as you will find out and all of them are 100% legal. There would be no mention of any illegal service here.
Especially relevant articles
- Is IPTV legal?: Arguments for and against the legitimacy of IPTV fully analyzed
- Access a US video streaming service like hulu, Netflix, PS vue, Amazon, outside the US
- How to watch IPTV programs legally or securely/safely as individuals
Cheap Alternatives to Satellite TV Satellite TV and Cable Television
I am listing them in no particular order below after which I would explaining them on after the other.
- Sling TV
- CBS All Access
- Amazon Prime
- Playstation Vue
1.Cheap Alternatives to Satellite TV:Hulu Plus
Also, the ability to watch recent episodes of television shows whenever and wherever is the main advantage of having Hulu+. However, Hulu+ does not have CBS shows like NCIS and Big Bang Theory. A word of caution, if you’re looking for a specific show, double check that they have it before subscribing.
There are commercials and advertising. You can interact with the commercials so they focus more on your interests, so at the very least they are semi-interesting. And, if you are lucky, you can watch one long commercial at the beginning to have an interruption-free viewing.
Price regimes of HuluPlus
- $7.99 a month (96 dollars a year)
- Month-to-month contract
- Free for basic Hulu
You can sign up for Hulu here. You get two weeks free!
- $7.99 a month for one screen, $9.99 for two screens, and $11.99 for four screens simultaneously streaming movies and television shows.
- Two devices can stream simultaneously
- You can have DVDs sent to your home, one at a time, for $7.99 more a month. You can pay more for more discs.
- They avoid charging per movie or having more expensive tiers of shows available to those who are willing to pay more.
- It also has a Month-to-month contract
Amazon Prime Video
Prime Video Pricing and Product:
- $99.99 for one year (unless you have a .edu email address, then you can get it half-price) Must be paid up front.
- Amazon Prime shipping
- Access to the Kindle Library with one free book a month
- Here are TONS of other benefits of an Amazon Prime account
If you are worried about missing sports – fuboTV is a great option. FuboTV has tons of sports channels, and it’s only $10 a month. Right now, most of the sports available are soccer (Surprisingly, they also have MLS). Interestingly, they are working to add even more soon. Your first 24 hours are free when you signup here!
VidAngel is VERY cool, and it has completely replaced RedBox . It has just about every movie you can think of, and a select number of TV shows – available for just $1 to watch. You can filter out content that you don’t want to see, or you can opt to watch without filters.
Basically, the first time you signup on VidAngel’s website, you pay $20. This goes toward buying the first movie you watch. Then, after you watch the movie, you can opt to sell the movie back and get $19 in credit back. From that point on, you only have to pay $1 per movie (unless you decide to keep one, then you’ll pay $20!). It is a kind of online movie borrowing service.
This is something similar to Netflix, but it only has clean movies on it. You pay a monthly subscription ($7.99) and you get unlimited access to family-friendly movies and TV shows. You can get a free trial by signing up here.
- Watching commercials throughout
- MLB Extra Innings is $200, in four payments if you want. Which compared to what you might end up paying for cable and satellite might not be that bad if you are a baseball love.
- MLSLive, is $60 a season and $15 dollars a month, which might be handy for the playoffs. They are having a free preview of the service today, 5/11/2013, and tomorrow.
- Have an Internet provider that is affiliated with ESPN3 — Comcast.
SlingTV is basically internet television. You can buy television packages of different numbers of channels. You stream the channels live. They have some On Demand type content as well.
- The basic package of 25+ varied channels, including ESPN, is only $20 a month.
- 40+ channels costs $25 a month.
- All of their channels costs $40 a month.
If you watch a lot of shows on CBS, this is a great deal. They have a one month trial period. After that, you have two options:
- Limited Commercials for $5.99 a month
- Commercial Free for $9.99
You can access over 8,500 of your favorite shows On Demand, exclusive access to original shows, and much more.
You can get Play Roku stick for 30 days for free. It acts as a browser for searching different broadcasting companies and as a media server for through which other devices can stream shows. Some game consoles and other devices have limited streaming apps you can download. PlayOn makes it so everything is in one place and you just need the main program on your computer and not your other devices. They advertise a PlayLater feature that works as DVR for online videos that might expire.
- $25 a year
- $60 a lifetime
Chromecast is Google’s new video and music streaming device. It is the size of a USB flash drive, and it costs only $35. On a Chromecast, you can get the apps most people use: Netflix, Hulu Plus, Pandora, and Google’s Google Play movies and music. It is powered by the Chrome OS, and it supports HDMI streaming. Your phone, tablet, or computer can work as a remote. It is powered by most HDMI ports that it can be plugged into. There is an optional USB cable to power the device. You might already have this in your house, but if you’removing out on your own or have a vacation house and you want to be able to watch some tv without a huge investment this device would be great. #1 in electronics sales on Amazon.
$35 – Get it here Google Chromecast